Avtex with DVB-S or mini Pace Sky box and what can I expect watch in Spain? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have replaced my old 15” 12v TV with an 18” Avtex L187DRS which has a built in DVB-S & DVB-S2 digital satellite tuner this has allowed me to ditch my old Comag sat tuner (which I never used) and mini Pace Sky box with a very basic viewing card. All the sat kit I inherited when I bought our Rapido. Now wonder if I am right stripping out the mini Pace Sky box. I have a 85cm Telco sat dish and my question is will the Avtex have the same distance/range as the mini Sky box and will I be able to pick up the same programs as the mini Sky box; bearing in mind we historically have only been watching the BBC / ITV channels, Sky news etc as the Sky card is basic and isn't subscribed to any of the Sky packages. I am also unclear as to what we will be able to watch on the Costa Del Sol through either the Sky to Avtex decoders and via what satellite? I understand the various footprints have been reduced and the reconfiguring is not yet over. Any help on both questions would be appreciated.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Not after 5pm! Sorry can't help with the tv.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the range / footprint is not determined by the box, but by the size of your sat dish and the quality and skew of your lnb..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; even with an 85 cm dish i dont think you will get BBC or ITV channels that far south. you would probably need a 1 meter dish.

you will get other English channels.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
PS; even with an 85 cm dish i dont think you will get BBC or ITV channels that far south. you would probably need a 1 meter dish.

you will get other English channels.
I have 1,2m on the house & you won't get bbc etc ; with it. 1,9m is touch & go here & down into Almeria. On the cds you probably need 2,4m. On the Costa blnca you should be ok.
@Satandpcguy might be along shortly to enlighten you better.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I just about get a stable signal on my 80x85cm dish for BBC ITV C4s and Fives (Valencia). Go north and south of here and reception gets worse. With steep signal drops around Tarragona and Murcia / Almeria.

A Sky box, even without any sky card, will receive the same channels as a Freesat or "free to air" receiver.
Reception of those channels depends where you are in Europe and what sized dish you have.
In Spain reception of BBC and ITV from the main UK TV satellites can vary from an 80cm dish to 6m dish depending where you are...

Your "Sky card is basic and isn't subscribed to any of the Sky packages" will be a non subscription, free to view "Freesat from Sky" card. Which only allows the viewing of those few channels that are encrypted but are subscription free - like Motors TV, LFCTV, Sony Movies.

Your Avtex Free to air receiver will receive the same UK channels as a SKy or freesat box, but will not have the 7 day programme guide that the two other boxes have. YOu will be limited to "now and next" information only.

"I am also unclear as to what we will be able to watch on the Costa Del Sol through either the Sky to Avtex decoders and via what satellite?"
UK TV comes from the Astra 2 group at 28 east.
You will NOT get BBC ITV C4 or Fives from these in the CdS unless you use a 6m dish - as these channels are on the UK beam.
But you should get some of the less popular channels, which are on the European beam.

But there are other free channels on other satellites that your Avtex can receive... not many English chanenls, but there are a few.... NIlesat (7 west) and BAdr (26) are middle east channels but have a number of channels with English speaking programmes.

"I understand the various footprints have been reduced and the reconfiguring is not yet over."
Footprints have not really been reduced by the new satellite, but changed.
And these 3 new satellites are expected to last for the next 12-15 years. And their "reconfiguring" finished early this year.
However, channels are, like they always do, span frequencies, beams and satellites...depending what the channel owners want to do with those channels...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well Satandpcguy that about wraps it all up for me. Many thanks your comprehensive response is really appreciated. Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back