Avtex AMR985 Mobile Internet Solution. Anyone have experience of it? (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2021
Selby, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail F70
Exp
I have to admit it’s a fiddle to get it into the slot I actually took mine of the bulkhead and fitted the sim that way the other thing is not all sims are the same sizes.

Lee Rasberry

Free Member
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks - I don't think it's getting that far! I've tried 3 SIM cards and none of them work, so I just wonder if there is a trick to this particular router and the SIM tray - the status page says SIM 1 (not inserted)

Even though its an Avtex (boo hiss) I might be able to help, as I've got a RUT950 to hand.

I tried using a working SIM, then changing the APN to something incorrect. The router still recognizes a SIM is inserted, so I think it's probably not APN issue.

The Teltonika SIM drawers can be a bit temperamental, so make sure its really really pushed home fully. It should pop out nicely when you then press the eject button.

I tried putting the drawer in upside down, and it drops down a bit inside the router noticeably, so I'd be confident you're not doing this.

You could try using the SIM2 slot to check for a hardware issue on SIM1. I tried my SIM in the SIM2 slot, and it wouldn't work until I changed the primary SIM in the settings. You can do this in the WebUI at:

Network > Mobile > SIM Management > Primary SIM Card > Change to 'SIM 2'

If that doesn't work, perhaps try a Firmware upgrade. This should be easy enough if you can get the router connected to the internet via WiFi. You can do this at:

System > Firmware > 'Upgrade From Server'

Last but not least, if nothing works, you could send me the Troubleshooting log and I can take a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iainsw

Free Member
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Many thanks for this, I must admit I've only had the web interface on a phone, which does not give you many options - will access on a laptop and try your suggestions!

iainsw

Free Member
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Okay - so switching Primary SIM card worked! - thanks - I still have an issue with Sim 1 but at least I have connectivity for the weekend!

Tich

Free Member
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun Living
I didn’t have any problems with the Smarty SIM in our Motorhome WIFI…..MIFI in the UK. However, when we went over to France I got a good signal but was unable to use Data.

I contacted Motorhome Wifi and they talked me through sorting it out. Apparently, Smarty can sometimes have problems like this. Worked fine for the rest of our three week trip. (y)

Something to do with APN’s ……but all too technical for me. 🤷‍♂️
What data package are you using with motorhomeWiFi, and is the system worth the price tag?

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I have the rut955 which is basically the rut950 with gps.
I am hoping that one of you has enough experience to explain how to set up a Wi-Fi connection to an external source. I am not that technical and just bench testing whilst I am waiting for some more wiring to arrive, I am struggling so an idiots guide would be much appreciated.
cheers
Les

Lee Rasberry

Free Member
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
I have the rut955 which is basically the rut950 with gps.
I am hoping that one of you has enough experience to explain how to set up a Wi-Fi connection to an external source. I am not that technical and just bench testing whilst I am waiting for some more wiring to arrive, I am struggling so an idiots guide would be much appreciated.
cheers
Les
Are you able to login to the router WebUI by connecting to 192.168.1.1 using a laptop/smart device? If so, what version of firmware is on it? It should tell you in the top right hand corner

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
If I understand your question correctly, wanting to connect to a wifi source whilst you’re in the van instead of your mobile provider.
When we last used it (RUT 950) on a site with WiFi I didn’t have to do anything technical, just selected the camp WiFi and the signal was very very good, unusually so. We watched Netflix through it.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Are you able to login to the router WebUI by connecting to 192.168.1.1 using a laptop/smart device? If so, what version of firmware is on it? It should tell you in the top right hand corner
Yes no problem logging in or any thing its version R_00.07.01.4
I am trying to connect to my home router. I am already connected to my rut router with my laptop via mobile connection. no ethernet cable but I am unable to understand how connect the two routers together.
Hetties Crew has more or less answered my question in that its easy it's just I'm not the sharpest knife in the box:LOL:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
If I understand your question correctly, wanting to connect to a wifi source whilst you’re in the van instead of your mobile provider.
When we last used it (RUT 950) on a site with WiFi I didn’t have to do anything technical, just selected the camp WiFi and the signal was very very good, unusually so. We watched Netflix through it.
Thanks a step by step guide would be helpful.;)

Lee Rasberry

Free Member
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
There's some info on the Teltonika Wiki here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_Wireless#Client_Mode

But you could also try these steps:
  1. From the Web User Interface Dashboard, select ‘Network’ at the top of the page. When the drop down menu appears, select ‘Wireless’ then click Scan
  2. Next the wireless connection you wish to connect to click ‘Join Network”
  3. Enter the password for the network and network name if you choose to do so. Then click ‘Submit’
  4. Hit the enable button to turn on.
  5. Your router will now connect to your chosen wifi network. However the connection your router uses for to connect to the internet will depend on your WAN configuration setting,
  6. To change connection priority drag and drop each connection in the order desired.
  7. Then save and apply.
The process is quite different on the newer 07.XX.XX firmware compared to the older 1.14.X. Changing the connection option order is what often catches people out.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
ahh, now that could be the answer I'll try it now.
Thanks

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Now sorted, :giggle:
Told you I wasn't the sharpest knife in the box :rolleyes: a couple of months ago I upgraded my home wifi for better coverage and I had forgotten that I had also upgraded the password. It was only when in desperation I decided to take a look at the home router settings that the penny dropped :doh:
Old age.....don't you just love it.:whistle2:

May 21, 2017
Fareham, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
Got it up and running today though I can’t report on performance other than there is no signal at the storage to my iPhone but connected to the router I could download to Facebook etc slowly.
I also lined the above oven area with ceramic blanket, as suggested by Lenny HB to protect the wires, though need to replace the nylon cable ties with wire.
I’d like some sort of cable tidy/wire separator to keep the aerial cables apart, don’t know if this is necessary.
From Blacksmithing groups I've been reading, ceramic wool fibres are extremely carcinogenic (cancer-causing) and requires coating in a rigidizer to prevent fibres coming away, if you like being able to breathe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From Blacksmithing groups I've been reading, ceramic wool fibres are extremely carcinogenic (cancer-causing) and requires coating in a rigidizer to prevent fibres coming away, if you like being able to breathe.
The insulation blankets sold for pizza ovens which I used is a faux ceramic i.e. synthetic.

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Imala 715
Exp
Since 2021
Useful thread! I just got this installed on my motorhome as the full 5G price was just too much. The installer was insistent on fitting it one particular spot which is going to make using the ethernet sockets a bit impossible. Nevertheless I do have a question - if I put in 2 SIMs, can it use both at the same time ("Network bonding")?

Lee Rasberry

Free Member
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
Useful thread! I just got this installed on my motorhome as the full 5G price was just too much. The installer was insistent on fitting it one particular spot which is going to make using the ethernet sockets a bit impossible. Nevertheless I do have a question - if I put in 2 SIMs, can it use both at the same time ("Network bonding")?

I don't believe you can use both at the same time, as the router only has one modem. I think the only Teltonika device that would allow you to do this is the RUTX12.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
At the moment I have a Three SIM in slot 1 (Avtex985). If I get a different SIM and put it in slot 2 how do I switch between the two. Is it best to place the most used SIM in slot 1?

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
The guy who installed the Avtex985 put the SIM in for me but I forgot to ask how to set up a different SIM.

Lee Rasberry

Free Member
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
You will need to sign into the router's WebUI (192.168.1.1) to swap between the SIMs. How this looks and is done depends on the firmware version on the router. The below link is for the older firmware. We have SIM switching on the Maxview Roam X (Teltonika RUTX11), but we built this feature into our App to make it simpler.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Got one recently. Dead easy to fit and use. We use an unlimited tesco mobile sim (O2) at £20 per month in it. Had to buy an 30 day EE data package SIM to use in the 2nd sim slot whilst we were up in Gairloch recently. There was zero coverage up there on 02 , Three or Vodafone. Not the fault of the Avtex though, just down to location at the time. Have been using it back on the Tesco sim without any issues between Fife, down to Sandringham and now along in the New Forest. A nice bit of kit but just like a mobile phone, it still needs a sniff of coverage to work properly. Paired with a good SIM and its a thumbs up

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Got one recently. Dead easy to fit and use. We use an unlimited tesco mobile sim (O2) at £20 per month in it. Had to buy an 30 day EE data package SIM to use in the 2nd sim slot whilst we were up in Gairloch recently. There was zero coverage up there on 02 , Three or Vodafone. Not the fault of the Avtex though, just down to location at the time. Have been using it back on the Tesco sim without any issues between Fife, down to Sandringham and now along in the New Forest. A nice bit of kit but just like a mobile phone, it still needs a sniff of coverage to work properly. Paired with a good SIM and its a thumbs up

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Hello. I have a Govivo SIM in slot 1. I changed my tariff to
Even though its an Avtex (boo hiss) I might be able to help, as I've got a RUT950 to hand.

I tried using a working SIM, then changing the APN to something incorrect. The router still recognizes a SIM is inserted, so I think it's probably not APN issue.

The Teltonika SIM drawers can be a bit temperamental, so make sure its really really pushed home fully. It should pop out nicely when you then press the eject button.

I tried putting the drawer in upside down, and it drops down a bit inside the router noticeably, so I'd be confident you're not doing this.

You could try using the SIM2 slot to check for a hardware issue on SIM1. I tried my SIM in the SIM2 slot, and it wouldn't work until I changed the primary SIM in the settings. You can do this in the WebUI at:

Network > Mobile > SIM Management > Primary SIM Card > Change to 'SIM 2'

If that doesn't work, perhaps try a Firmware upgrade. This should be easy enough if you can get the router connected to the internet via WiFi. You can do this at:

System > Firmware > 'Upgrade From Server'

Last but not least, if nothing works, you could send me the Troubleshooting log and I can take a look.
Thank you so much for this. I've been struggling to get SIM 1 to work and bought a giffgaff SIM, put it into SIM slot 2 but had no idea how to select SIM 2 in the Avtex control page. You're a live saver! We're away for 10 days over Christmas and New Year and I thought we'd be without WiFi for the whole time. But with your help we're now connected. Thank you Lee, very, very much.
I'm so glad I joined this forum today. 😃😃

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back