Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
we are off to Agde in france in a couple of weeks, and am thinking of avoiding the tolls as much as possible when we drive through France. I'm thinking of driving from calais to Rouen, Evreux, Chartres to Orleans, and then down the A20 N20 to Toulouse.

Does anybody know what the A20 N20 is like to drive?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Its Ok,
Like with most french roads.

The secret is prepare to toll round certain towns and then just jump back on the n roads. Make sure you have a good map, a good map reader and lob your sat nav out the window. Best way to see real France

OP
OP
motorvating

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Its Ok,
Like with most french roads.

The secret is prepare to toll round certain towns and then just jump back on the n roads. Make sure you have a good map, a good map reader and lob your sat nav out the window. Best way to see real France

I have no chance of a good map reader becasue my wife is cartography dyslexic, so will have to rely on the sat nav set to no toll roads.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
not nearly as good as carrying on from orleans to clermont ferrand , then taking the free A75 motorway all the way to the med , straight to cap d'agde

of course you will have to pay to cross the millau viaduct , but you can drive through millau instead , and stay at the free aire by the gendarmerie , you get a much better view of the viaduct anyway

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The main thing to remember if your driving an RV,is dont use the N roads to save money on the tolls.
Its OK with a Euro camper,you will save a bit by using N roads but with an RV you will be out of pocket.
What money you save on tolls will be used up in fuel.
It always depends on how long your going for...if only a couple of weeks,use the tolls,otherwise your holls are gone before you get there.

OP
OP
motorvating

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
not nearly as good as carrying on from orleans to clermont ferrand , then taking the free A75 motorway all the way to the med , straight to cap d'agde

of course you will have to pay to cross the millau viaduct , but you can drive through millau instead , and stay at the free aire by the gendarmerie , you get a much better view of the viaduct anyway

We drove that way to the med last year in two days, and stopped sat Billom just east of Clermont Ferrand.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Routes to Toulouse

I have travelled this route many times as I used to work in Toulouse, I have seen the route improve over the years so that it is now mostly motorway of a very good quality.
Large sections of the motorway are free so you need to check on the internet to find these sections, then simply avoid the other "Payage" sections, noting that around most large towns the "Rocade" or bypass is free. Or pay attention to the signs Payage and avoid these sections.
Take care when approachingand leaving Limoge area as the motorway has some sharpish bends and steepish slopes.
Be aware that there are often radar speed checks by gendarmes on the bridges over the motoways.
The decision for you is wether you wish to meander to the south or to arrive in the south and then meander about, if you are not pressed for time then there is a great deal to be gained by a slower route sampling the cider in Normandy then the Loir wines before the great wines (but les well known) from Cahor.
Seing on route Gland, Rocamadour, Figeac etc. enjoy the jouney it is not a race.....:Smile:

OP
OP
motorvating

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
The main thing to remember if your driving an RV,is dont use the N roads to save money on the tolls.
Its OK with a Euro camper,you will save a bit by using N roads but with an RV you will be out of pocket.
What money you save on tolls will be used up in fuel.
It always depends on how long your going for...if only a couple of weeks,use the tolls,otherwise your holls are gone before you get there.

mmmm something to think about. I did not think about all the stop starts in towns, I can't remember what we paid in tolls last year going from Calais, Orleans and down the A75, but it blooming expensive and could have filled my tank up.

How much longer would the route I suggested add to my journey?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
you will probably be on the N154 from everaux to chatres you could stay on it and bypass orleans hitting the A10 around Artenay jtn13 (cuts off the corner A11/A10to orleans) then running onto the A71 and A20.

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Don't always take that sat nav as gospel, do as Haganap says.
Went by it avoiding tolls and fastest route when it took us through the middle of Rouen last week coming home, did'nt need that aggro!

tonybrightspark

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,ve never used a sat nav anywhere. travel europe frequently. try my best not to use tolls .life is only a game ,the game is no tolls,motorways or dual carriageways if there is another road. doesnt matter if you cant play the game .its not real its a game. if you use n roads i think you get a better view of the country you are in. sometimes you just have to get a move on then use what ever . but enjoy your trip the journey is part of the fun. cheers alan.
we sometimes play how slow can you go . specialy on narrow country roads if someone is pushing up your rear. have fun.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guy posted on another forum last week that it cost him £120 to go from Calais to St Tropez, and that was only as class 2. If your over 3.5t you should be class 3, and thats around another 25% more. :cry:

Olley

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I go N1 to abbeville
free motorway to rouen
N154 to orleans ...I go through the town to shop etc so don't know if you pay for the rocade , the trucks go on to the motorway where this route crosses the A10 north of orleans
N20 to salbris
D944 to bourges
N144 south to montlucon then clermont ferrand
A75

total tolls paid ...zero

the only variation on this route is picking up the A75 north of montlucon if I am in a hurry , as the N 144 from there to clermont ferrand is twisty ...last time I did that it cost €7 for a class 2 motorhome , can't say what it is today

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Were going next week. We havent been with the mh before so we have planned a route on the sat nav and another by using the map. I think that we will only use the sat nav if were lost.

June is an excellent navigator and Ive got every confidence in her, I trust her map reading before the sat nav.

At the end of the day I dont care. Wherever we end up we will enjoy it.

Looking at google sreet view the the signposts predominantley give place names rather than road numbers so as long as we have a rough idea of where were going we will be fine.

Jim

:winky:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I have no chance of a good map reader becasue my wife is cartography dyslexic, so will have to rely on the sat nav set to no toll roads.::bigsmile:

My sat nav (which I love) sometimes has trouble with the tolls/no tolls bit. Long parts of some of the big roads are free and it makes sense to use them sometimes. If set to no tolls the sat nav will not let us near them. We have a decent map that shows which bits you pay for and which you do not. Very useful indeed! Hope that helps a bit. Jane :Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have a decent map that shows which bits you pay for and which you do not. Very useful indeed! Hope that helps a bit. Jane :Smile:

I agree, use a good map. If you end up somwhere that you didnt want to be, just pretend that its exactley where you wanted to be and enjoy it. Its not like its a package deal holiday to Tenerife or something.
Jim
:Smile:

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Morning all,

We always avoid the toll roads now we have the class 2 van except for getting round big cities to void traffic lights and making a wrong turning.
Two years ago it cost us £150 from callais to spanish border.

georgio

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the only dead line you need is the ferry and that can be changed .you are on an adventure. you may never get where you thought you were going .thats the adventure.
every where is nice if you take time to see it. even the cities and towns. pretend no body as been there before so you have to find the way .its your your turn to be livingstone who is your partner cant remember. have fun slow down its a big world you dont want to miss anything.
cheers alan.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
the only dead line you need is the ferry and that can be changed .you are on an adventure. you may never get where you thought you were going .thats the adventure.

Quite agree. If the only point is getting from A to B it is usually better to take a plane and hire a car at the destination. With a MH that is not what we are doing, is it?

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
lebesset suggests missing the Millau viaduct. Yes, but not till you've seen it, it really is worth the effort, absolutely fantastic. Stop off at the exhibition on the North side to get the best view, it really is breathtaking- and designed by a British architect!!!

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Once you are in the Motorhome you are there, where it is realy doesn' t matter, not to me anyhow.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
a sat nav is to blunt an instrument......either all tolls or none...whereas what I like, is to use the convenient less expensive sections and stay away from new extortionate ones:winky:

we went to the Vendee for half term, two weeks ago. the section of new A28 Rouen - le mans is nearly £50! The D348/D438 runs alongside so coming back we used this cutting the cost of tolls from Dunkurke to west coast to approx £20. my van is 3.500kg 2.9 m high every toll on new section A28 is automatic so I ws charged class 3 every time.......long delays ensued while I argued the toss..." you are 3 metres!" Nooooooo 2.9 and it is not height it is weight and axles that count.....:Doh:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
The A20 is great, so use it by all means - you should heed the advice above, though, and not rush through France, there is so much to see. Stop off here (Parc Verger) for a day or two... experience Oradour sur Glane, and the great market at Piegut... try the "pizzas to die for" in the village bar/restaurant, or the tasty meals in our local auberges, and visit a chateau if that turns you on; don't trust your satnav, they have preferred routes that are often far from being the best, use funsters for advice on routes. From here you could go down to Figeac, as suggested above, a lovely old town, and on to Millau, which we agree is worth a visit.

There is so much to see in France, so use your mh as your hotel, and enjoy the travelling.

Cheers!

Bob and Di

OP
OP
motorvating

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
I go N1 to abbeville
free motorway to rouen
N154 to orleans ...I go through the town to shop etc so don't know if you pay for the rocade , the trucks go on to the motorway where this route crosses the A10 north of orleans
N20 to salbris
D944 to bourges
A75

total tolls paid ...zero

the only variation on this route is picking up the A75 north of montlucon if I am in a hurry , as the N 144 from there to clermont ferrand is twisty ...last time I did that it cost €7 for a class 2 motorhome , can't say what it is today

Thanks for all the advice from you all.

I like the sound of this route. How much longer did it take you to get to Clermont using this route?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I go N1 to abbeville
free motorway to rouen
N20 to salbris
D944 to bourges
A75

total tolls paid ...zero

I know its different for everyone, but how long does this route take approx

(Sorry for repeating motorvatings post!)

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
can't answer that question exactly as I travel as fast or slowly as I feel like doing

using the motorway to bypass montlucon I have travelled from millau to plymouth in a day on that route when I had a family emergency ; I don't recommend that however !

presuming you leave calais in the morning I think 2 days would see you there comfortably , it would me and I am a 90Km/hr type...I like to stop on the free aire by the canal on the south side of st amand montrond [ just south of bourges ] one of my favourite towns ; it's just before the pay motorway stretch around montlucon

btw , I should fill with diesel at the hypermarket as you come into bourges , don't want to risk paying motorway prices anywhere :Doh:

but to me , the trip is one of the pleasures of travelling , I prefer it to arriving !

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks lebesset, we are on a bit of a mission at end of August to visit Shirley's Sister who has just bought a place down in Pt Coglan and only have 2 weeks (16 days incl weekends) Our past efforts show we have an inabilty to reach our intended destination due to there being so many nice places on the way, although we rectified that with last months trip to the Loire. Previously we planned to go to the Rhone and got as far as Champagne, then Cote d'Azur and got as far as Beaujolais.
So we need to get there quickly and then meander back up through Rhone Valley etc.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
motorvating

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
On the sister site (RVOC) somebody said the route to avoid Paris via Rouen, charters to Orleans is a slow route with plenty of holdups on the way, however this trip was a few years ago.

Has anybody taken this route very recently? and if so what are the holdups like/

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
used to be dreadful until you got to orleans
but 20 years ago the french government decided to make this a through route to take traffic away from the paris region , hence the building of motorway/dual carriage way , not yet complete but for the majority
once you get south of orleans the traffic is light

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back