Avoiding all narrow lanes (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My Garmin works almost perfectly even here in rural France where "narrow lanes" are plentiful.
I'm thinking you use your Garmin like so many other drivers do who seem to think that every road on sat nav maps has been measured for width and your Garmin can see which road is narrow and which is not.
Here some D roads are very narrow and others are dual carriageways but all look the same on a map.
The reason your Garmin "took you" down narrow lanes is that you turned your steering wheel into that lane.
Sat navs are amazing bits of kit and I would not travel without one but:
They are aids to navigation to be used alongside a map and the driver's knowledge of which roads he's planning to travel.

Just a crib note of road numbers or towns, stuck on the dash board is all it takes.

Don't give up on them, they are like all tools - it takes some skill to get the best out of them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with EX51SSS.
Today, a map is backup to a satnag, not the other way round.
Only drawback with a satnav is it can fail at any time....a map cant, but then you carry a map as well...Don't you !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DSC00384.JPG

That is ridiculous.
Surely it would have been more cost effective to go round the mound.
The cost of tunnelling must have outweighed the cost of another 100Mtrs to go round...or simply go over, its not exactly the Himalayas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
No accurate ETA, no distance to destination, no upcoming fuel stops, no distance to nearest Aires, no directions to unknown supermarkets, no traffic hazard alerts etc etc. You do, however, get to massively increase your stress level, particularly when you have to turn around because you missed your turnoff.

When I start out the day in a new place I can enter, in my Garmin, my destination, a named fuel stop along the route avoiding in advance any that may have access issues, a branded supermarket for shopping on the route and an Aire for getting water or dumping. I don't have to have been to any of these places before and yet I know exactly when they will be reached and where they are.

No stress, no wrong turns, my Lady used to navigate for a Rally Driver.
Don't need to have regimented stops, we only travel 250mls max each day when we travel. We enjoy taking our time. Who cares where the S/Markets are. Water and Dumps arn't a problem. we rarely "Wild"
Just enjoying our hobby, no regimentation, just taking each day as it comes. The only forward planning is booking a site!

No stress! Happy Happy:hi5:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I am sure that I will be corrected on this but as I understand it in the UK, if a road has a limited headroom or width restriction on it, then there has to be a notification of the fact, by means of a Road Traffic Sign, at the last available junction before reaching the obstruction so that you can divert if necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back