Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
Newport
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E795
Exp
Dear All,

My partner and I fancy travelling in either France or Spain next year. I therefore had a quick look to see how much the costs would be in April-May 2013 and was surprised at the cost travelling to either St Malo or Bilbao of between £400+ & £550+ respectively.

Can anyone recommend cheaper routes and dates to travel, companies to use and discount codes etc. We have a 24' Motorhome (3500Kg) and a side loading trailer for our scooter, which increases the length by about 5'.

Thanks

:spam:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ferries across the channel Dover - Calais/Dunkerque are MUCH cheaper. Ours earlier this year was £39! Of course it does mean more driving but that can be part of the enjoyment of the trip as you get to see more of France

Wyn

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
£48 - £54 return with DFDS (Norfolk Line) on certain sailings Dover to Dunkerque, pending on whether you book through the CC or direct with DFDS. These prices are without a trailer though.

Good luck,

Jock & Rita.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

AlphaPets

Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
Newport
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E795
Exp
Hi,

I agree with the travelling. The cheapest I found with sailing dates on a tuesday and midday with DFDS Seaways, were priced at £118+ with the trailer and £58 without. Very strange as the trailer is a side loading trailer and very small, about the 10th of the size of the motorhome. Taking a motorcycle across costs the same as a MH. :RollEyes:

Thanks

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mid-week ferry/Chunnel Dover to Calais, drive to N Spain, 3 nights on Aires, plus Autoroute tolls will still probably work out cheaper than a ferry direct to Santander or Bilbao.

Last time we went that way we used the two huge aires at Honfleur and Parc Futuroscope, then Hendaye on the border, which is quite small but there are 2-3 others in the Biarritz area depending on the month you're travelling.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Even though you have a small (short) trailer it makes no difference.. They still charge you for "up to" length... Had this conversation with a guy we met just south of Calais once and he tried to argue that it was only small but makes no difference..

Dover - Calais and enjoy the drive :thumb: Thats what it's all about..
No way could I spent 24 hours or more on one of them boats. !!

My average 1 way trip is usually £39 - £44, always book online and just a few days before travel.. Do same on way back.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Sail Dover to Calais, leave the scooter behind and take bikes. Cheaper and you get fitter. Plus the attitude to cycling in France is very different to UK, your not actually a points target.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
booking through the caravan club usually incurs charges if you make any changes to your itinerary......later/earlier/different day sailings etc.

booking direct with the ferry company doesnt (usually)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it depends where you live really and are you going to spain or france . i,m going to santander in november return later. its cost is normally about 600 quid but as i can use a friends and family it comes out at 564. luckily my truck and trailer class as a car and caravan .soup to 11metres is cheap .i,m only 10metres . i will be taking my dog so there is a 70 quid charge for kennels in that figure .
i was going to be having seats but as brittany ferries have just cancelled my original booking they are giving me a cabin . for free .
i really cant drive through france and spend less than the ferry . at 18mpg . work it out your selves for there and back .
as i live 350 miles away from dover going there would make the cheapest ferry expensive to get to france and drive through.
my mate from scotland in his daf 45 also finds it only breaks even .but adds 150-2000miles on as wear n tear.
different vehicles can gain but i like an easy life .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
booking through the caravan club usually incurs charges if you make any changes to your itinerary

Not to mention the CC membership fee in the first place. I sometimes think it's a false economy joining the CCC just for the ferry bookings - we rarely if ever use their sites.

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
dear crossing

cheapest crossing i am finding is p&o £59 each way motorhome is height 3.09m length 8.67m , 3 passengers , how does this look , i think if we book 3 crossings in advance £99 each return

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We book ours one way, then book the return whenever we are ready. That way we are not tied to a schedule.

Wyn

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Booked today with MyFerryLink (successor to Sea France) for Tuesday 7:00 on 11/09/12 for a 7.12m Motorhome (Goes up to 8.5m for same price) £43.75 single Dover to Calais.

Last trips with car on trailer cost about £75 each way with P&O or Sea France.

We are in no hurry so a slow drive down to Spain and return in April.

John

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ive looked at the cheapest santander ferry prices, doubt i can get it below £550 one way from santander to UK. For next sat, they wanted over £1000, return :Eeek:one of the reasons is the seating is all taken on most sailings, so you have to book a cabin.

Ive got a dover/dunkirk return booked, so i will use that for the out, and perhaps try to get a low last minute price from santander back........what do you recon my chances are Alan??

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it depends what boat your on .some they use dont have seats . the pont avon does ..the other boat they transfered us to doesnt . i certainly cant drive through france for the price of my return ferry in winter.
used to .but then i emergency wise came back one year from santander . hardly ever bothered with the drive through since .
this time of year mind they are expensive .
sometimes ihave left the dog in my trailer and not had a cabin .the captain is usually asked if its ok . they will do it if all the kennels are booked .
but best of luck you can only try. usually its the ferry to plymouth that as seats ,portsmouth seems to always want cabins .
you could try 08712441400ext 3395 ask for sally . found her very helpfull.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Just spoke to the helpfull young lady, she was full of info, which i will relay;

If i turn up on the day, will i get a cheaper fare if you have spaces?

No, in fact, we may, under certain circumstances, increase the price if we think it is in demand on the day

A sort of "take it or leave it deal"

yes I suppose that is so (laugh)

I can't seem to get the one way far less than £550, is that right.

Yes, its about £450 for a standard car, so a motorhome would be increased to the amount you say.

I would be able to save nearly £100 if i did,nt have to have a cabin, but the seats are always taken when i try to book, is this normal?

Yes, this is because people book a long while in advance, which is what i advise you to do.

So, that answers my questions, its NOT a buyers market on these ferries, THEY appear to have the upper hand,....so...........if i feel generous, and I can raid the piggy bank, we'll sail back,...if not, we'll see a bit more of France.::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just tried for oct second i person m,home 7mtr x3m to plymouth got a seat .339 quid .
484 ,next wednesday.with a seat. no seats this wednesday .
try staying another month you know you want to. . plymouth is usually the best for seats as portsmouth boats sometimes dont have seats only cabins.
glad i go and come back in the cheap times .

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Next year we will definatly be going later, as long as the old sea aint too choppy, i,m not a good sailor::bigsmile:.
Plymout suits me better as it goes, my sis lives in devon so i can pop in on the way back to sunny essex,

happy travels folks, only fiove more sleeps:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back