Auxillary battery not charging when driving (1 Viewer)

Jun 28, 2017
Southam
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2019
Hi everybody

I have a 2002 Ducato/Bessacarr and I am just past Rouen on my way to Spain and find that my auxillary battery is not receiving charge. The engine battery is fine but I suspect a fault with the split charger.

Can anybody give me a clue where to find the split charger mechanism and what does it look like, and is there anything that can be done on the road to fix the problem?

God bless all engineers

Doricden

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Not sure of your exact van but in general
There are often 2 relays fitted in engine bay, possibly near battery or mounted on crossmember above radiator.
These relays are energised when engine is running and supply power from engine battery to fridge, and to leisure battery.
These relays will probably have fuses associatedwith them.
Can you find them? Can you check with a meter they operate?

Of course your van may not be as i have described........
Just this was how our 2005 autocruise was wired.

OP
OP
D
Jun 28, 2017
Southam
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks Sandra, that gives me a clue of what to look for. To be honest what's under the bonnet is a dark mystery to me, but I will certainly give it a go in the morning
Cheers mate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had a problem with my 1997 Swift split charging system. On mine, there are two 30 amp relays under the bonnet above the battery and a small fuse box. There may also be 2x 30 amp (green) fuses in a separate holder that might be something to do with the relays

Here’s a link to download the Swift/ Bessecar user manuals, there are wiring diagrams at the end of the manuals

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/owners/handbooks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is everything else working correctly, I am not overly technical, but have just suffered from a D+ relay failure, that stopped my leisure batteries charging with engine running, also fridge didn't run on battery, nor did any of the alarms that normally say step out, door open etc

simplest check is the fridge to see if it auto switches to battery when engine started, if it does this is not your problem

OP
OP
D
Jun 28, 2017
Southam
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2019
Many thanks for all these helpful replies.
When I had a habitation service recently the fridge didn't work on battery. The engineer discovered that the fuse was missing. After replacement the leisure battery problem seems to have started. Suggests that a previous owner had a problem here. I removed the fuse but no effect. Beginning to suspect that the relay is at fault since there seems to be some connection between charging the leisure battery and the fridge on 12 volts.
Again, thanks for your help everybody, problem not cured but I have been pointed in what I hope is the right direction,

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Many thanks for all these helpful replies.
When I had a habitation service recently the fridge didn't work on battery. The engineer discovered that the fuse was missing. After replacement the leisure battery problem seems to have started. Suggests that a previous owner had a problem here. I removed the fuse but no effect. Beginning to suspect that the relay is at fault since there seems to be some connection between charging the leisure battery and the fridge on 12 volts.
Again, thanks for your help everybody, problem not cured but I have been pointed in what I hope is the right direction,
I think I may know what your problem is, and it may the "engineer" that mucked about with your fridge. First question is is your fridge an automatic energy supple (AES) model, which changes from gas to 12V to 240V automatically? If it isn't then that fuse should not be in place. By putting it in place he has allowed your fridge to run on 12V the whole time, and that has run down your leisure battery. The fridge is only designed to run on battery when the engine is running and it switches off automatically when the engine is not running. At other times you need to use mains if on EHU or gas. By putting that fuse in he may have allowed the fridge to run on the 12V all the time, which has flattened your battery.

If you have taken the fuse out you will then need to drive around for a long while or plug into the the mains to recharge the battery. The reason I know is that is exactly what happend to my previous moho.

OP
OP
D
Jun 28, 2017
Southam
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Peterc10
It looks like you may have sussed my problem but how would I know if I have a AES model fridge? Is there anything on it that shows that it is.
I would not be surprised if it has been messed with, there are a few examples of bodging about it. However I am coming to terms with the oddities and I hope I am coming to the end of the learning curve.
Thanks for helping

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peterc10
It looks like you may have sussed my problem but how would I know if I have a AES model fridge? Is there anything on it that shows that it is.
I would not be surprised if it has been messed with, there are a few examples of bodging about it. However I am coming to terms with the oddities and I hope I am coming to the end of the learning curve.
Thanks for helping
The make and model number of it should be on a sticker somewhere inside the fridge, then google it I guess. Failing that ask here. I am not sure when AES fridges came out though and whether your moho will have the provision for one.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi Peterc10
Thanks for helping

the fridge will either have auto or AES as a setting position on the controller, ours has gas, battery, mains and auto, if on auto it self selects, if on any of the others it sticks to that power source

OP
OP
D
Jun 28, 2017
Southam
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2019
None of the above apply so I must assume that it is not AES. Learning curve is getting longer

Thanks to all

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Do you have a control panel that tells you the charge state of the two batteries leisure and motor. If so does it show zero for you engine battery? if so there is a 50A fuse mounted on top of the battery it carries a maxi fuse and this may be your problem

OP
OP
D
Jun 28, 2017
Southam
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Exp
Since 2019
Hi jetlag03

I do have the control panel you refer to but it gives me a reading for the engine battery as fully charged. I am now on site with plug-in power so the problem is postponed until I get on the road again.
I have now been convinced that the problem lies in the relay and as soon as I can I shall renew the one that I think is causing the problem. There are three of them so wish me luck that I get it right first time, or I may even lash out and replace them all. Meanwhile, thanks for your thoughts, I really do appreciate how helpful people have been

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back