Autowatch 695 RLC alarm problem (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Our Elddis Autoquest 175 has a factory fitted Autowatch 695 RLC alarm with ultra sonic sensors at the top of the "A" pillars, a habitation door contact and a wireless PIR.
Went to set the alarm last night via the Peugeot key fob and I had the usual single arming chirp but at the same time had 3 sets of 2 beeps (beep beep - beep beep - beep beep), blue led flashes to indicate it's armed. Unset it and tried again and the same. Tried the spare Autowatch fob just in case and the same. Today I replaced the batteries in the wireless PIR and still the same.
Did a Google search but could not find anything on the interweb relating to the series of beeps.

Anyone got an answer to why it's doing this, should I be worried and how do I get back to it operating normally.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Do you have a bonnet switch ? these are known to cause faults like you describe when faulty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are your door and locker switches wireless, if so I would replace the batteries as well. Also check any wireless switches/sensors for good battery contact.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It seems to be my day for having similar faults to someone else. This happened to us and it was the bonnet switch. Just needs a turn to make better contact. Can post photo tomorrow if you need it.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Are your door and locker switches wireless, if so I would replace the batteries as well. Also check any wireless switches/sensors for good battery contact.

Hab door contact wired, no locker sensors or contact, only the hab PIR wireless.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It seems to be my day for having similar faults to someone else. This happened to us and it was the bonnet switch. Just needs a turn to make better contact. Can post photo tomorrow if you need it.

Did you have the same series of beeps with your fault ?

I'll have a look at the bonnet switch in the morning but I thought that switch will be a normally open contact.
Would be grateful of a photo to compare.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There is a test you can run, just google the instructions. You will need the alarms pin number

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Right, got it sorted, it was the hab door contact.

I spent 10 years as a CCTV and intruder alarm engineer on domestic and industrial systems, so when I saw the cable routing for the hab door contact I was not impressed but it did make it easy to access and test. Pretty well all the magnetic reed switch contacts on domestic and industrial systems are on a normally closed circuit, so I cut the wires to the contact, stripped back the insulation and twisted the conductors together and tried setting the alarm, bugger still the same. Parted the conductors, tried setting the alarm, BINGO. Ok not quit what I was expecting.
Next, connected the door contact to a multi meter and set to continuity. The contact showed closed circuit with the hab door either open or closed, so there lay the problem.
When in doubt give it a clout, well in this case a tap with a the handle of a screwdriver on the contact and the multi meter fell silent, closed the door the multi meter buzzes, open and closed the door a few more times to be sure. When the alarm was installed they had used the old BT style crimp in a plastic hat to join the wire and these were left hanging to get wet and mucky from road spray. I have now soldered and heat shrunk the joints.

Thank to all those that offered ideas and suggestions and maybe this will help others if they have the same problem in the future.

Edit : got confused re the multi meter readings. When sorted, door closed multi meter silent, door open multi meter buzzes.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Did you have the same series of beeps with your fault ?

I'll have a look at the bonnet switch in the morning but I thought that switch will be a normally open contact.
Would be grateful of a photo to compare.
Glad you got it sorted. Yes it was the same series of beeps.
Prior to that, we had had two occasisions on same day when alarm had set successfully but upon return, neighbouring camper had reported that alarm had suddenly started going off. I think both times front of van into the wind but we didn't know about bonnet contact until onour return home we started getining the 3 beeps as you describe and phoned our dealer.
Do you still need a photo?

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Glad you got it sorted. Yes it was the same series of beeps.
Prior to that, we had had two occasisions on same day when alarm had set successfully but upon return, neighbouring camper had reported that alarm had suddenly started going off. I think both times front of van into the wind but we didn't know about bonnet contact until onour return home we started getining the 3 beeps as you describe and phoned our dealer.
Do you still need a photo?

No to the photo thanks.

Checking over the other contacts I have also found that the bonnet contact was not making contact due to rusting of the contact faces, so I have ordered a stainless steel version of the bonnet contact.
As the bonnet contact is also a normally open type the the alarm will still set without it being in place.
I did learn from scouting around the interweb that several people have had problems with the bonnet contact in that the plunger is depressed against the bonnet sound proofing felt when the bonnet is closed and over time this felt compresses allowing the plunger to creep up and make contact either setting of the alarm or not letting arm properly.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No to the photo thanks.

Checking over the other contacts I have also found that the bonnet contact was not making contact due to rusting of the contact faces, so I have ordered a stainless steel version of the bonnet contact.
As the bonnet contact is also a normally open type the the alarm will still set without it being in place.
I did learn from scouting around the interweb that several people have had problems with the bonnet contact in that the plunger is depressed against the bonnet sound proofing felt when the bonnet is closed and over time this felt compresses allowing the plunger to creep up and make contact either setting of the alarm or not letting arm properly.
I don't quite understand your sentence about the alarm will set without it being in place.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I don't quite understand your sentence about the alarm will set without it being in place.

Because the door and bonnet contacts are what's called normally open in that the contacts are not touching so not forming a circuit. The Autowatch system as are most vehicle alarms are normally configured that door contacts including the cab doors to be normally open contacts and the alarm require the contacts to close to form a circuit so triggering the alarm.
So when the bonnet contact plunger is pushed down with the bonnet closed it opens the contacts. When the bonnet is opened the plunger rises and the contacts meet so forming a circuit that triggers the alarm, so if the contact unit is not in place and the terminal that attaches to it is not touching the metal bodywork the the circuit is not made and you can set the alarm. This is the same principle to operate the interior courtesy light in the cab. To prove the point, if your alarm system is the same, then open the bonnet and press down and hold the contact plunger with your finger and try setting the alarm. If it sets ok the give to 35 to 40 seconds and release and the alarm should sound.

Hope that explanation is not as clear as mud. :LOL:

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Please can someone help me ? I have this system on a Elddis 195 Aotoquest 2016,Setting alarm over last 18 months have been fine until yesterday. I opened the van ( I have always used hab door ) to enter all ok. But when I went to lock up I pressed the lock button on key fob and found the normal low bleeps were followed by 5 pretty loud bleeps the blue armed light flashed on the os window post as normal but after approx 20/30 seconds the alarm activates, I have renewed key fob battery, checked bonnet plunger ( depressed fully by hand ) but to no avail, I have looked round the hab door but found no contacts , the only other sensors I can see are the 2 mounted on the front window pillars,
Any help / advice would be appreciated.
Thank you all

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi two on tour
I apologise if I have put my problem on your reply page ,

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Tyrefixer see if you can find which area of your alarm is the likely cause of your problem by following the video on how to access the error flash code.
The method of viewing the error flash code is the same for the 695 RLC which are fitted to Elddis's.

More than happy to help if I can.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Second thread running regarding a problem with Auto watch 695......
I found the best solution with mine (2 x IR sensors, wireless PIR and hardwired drivers door) was remove the useless bloody thing.
Should never have been allowed to call it a vehicle alarm.... Utter crap.

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Two on Tour
Thanks for your reply I will try that tomorrow when in a better frame of mind,
I eventually found the correct forum to post on , sorry again for putting it on a reply to you , by saying that I got what I expected a quick sensible reply.
Thanks again

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again Two on tour
I found the hab door sensor the magnet I cleaned and is very strong, on the other side of the frame is a small round plastic cover but I don't know how to test it , I removed and cleaned the bonnet sensor but by pushing the rod down by hand and setting alarm I still get loud beeps 6 of is this test as good as inserting a piece of felt to make the bonnet padding thicker ? the code video instructions does not match, I do all that is stated but my light does not stay on I wonder if I am setting it wrong as the video has no alarm sounding but by the time I get halfway my alarm goes off the light then freezes but using ignition I can't get a fault code.
Hope you don't mind me me contacting you but reading your blogs I appreciate you Have had same issues
I have sent a message to Autowatch to see if they can help.

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
Two on Tour,
Thank you very much for your help, I found the hab door sensor faulty, I did as you advised and by passed the sensor and the alarm set ok.
I have ordered the new sensor and will post when job complete.
Thanks again ( are you sure your not employed by Autowatch alarms )?
If not you are good !

gregstarone

Free Member
Apr 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Majestic 185
Two on Tour,
Thank you very much for your help, I found the hab door sensor faulty, I did as you advised and by passed the sensor and the alarm set ok.
I have ordered the new sensor and will post when job complete.
Thanks again ( are you sure your not employed by Autowatch alarms )?
If not you are good !
Hi I’ve been following your reply. I have Elddis Majestic 185. I have no idea which auto watch version I have as there is no instruction or any mention in my paperwork. I started to have the same problem. When arming I get 3 set of 2 beeps and then 30 second later the alarm starts. I watched the video and the method doesn’t work for me. No leds flashing at all. I get one loud beep when turning the ignition on and off 5 times. I can’t find any contacts on habitation door. Can you help please?

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi gregstarone it's normally a Autowatch 695 RLC fitted to an Elddis.

The two main causes of the fault you describe are the hab door contact or the bonnet switch.
The plunger on the bonnet switch usually presses against the bonnet sound proofing and after time the sound proofing can depress causing the contact to make.
To test this, open the bonnet, hold the plunger down and set the alarm. If the alarm sets okay then something to stop the sound proofing depressing sorts it, but if the alarm will still not set then move onto the hab door contact.

Here's my hab door contact, small like button nearly flush to the door frame near the bottom of the frame and a magnet in the door at the same position.
If you have that, let my know and we can go on from there.

1619640343913.png
1619640365736.png

Jul 11, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Have had campers on and off since 1979. Upgraded to a coach built motorhome in 2018.
Hello to all the good people in this thread, I'm looking for some inspiration to the same problem Two on Tour had which as recently arisen (had the van 3 years with no problems) and I've found this very helpful. However having gone through all the stages, checks & tests suggested I still get the same 3 x 2 blips error whenever the cab door switch cct is closed and the alarm is activated. I've even replaced the door reed switch and gone back along the cable route to where it joins the wires to (I presume) the Canbus unit, continuity is all good when tested (open and closed) but when closed and the alarm set, off it goes with those damn blips.

Currently I've left the door switch disconnected and the rest of the system works as normal. Fortunately the PIR triggers the alarm if I go in through the cab door. That said, as I can set the alarm with that door open the Canbus must not be registering that the door cct is open. Would anyone kindly have any ideas as to why, and possible next step?

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I had a minor issue with mine and I phoned Autowatch in Sevenoaks 01732 886 777 and a technical guy phoned me back and took me through a series of tests to establish whether I had a real problem.

Jul 11, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Have had campers on and off since 1979. Upgraded to a coach built motorhome in 2018.
Thanks Whitebirdyman, I'll give Autowatch a try on that number. I did try various local caravan/motorhome repair places + some alarm engineers claiming to cover motorhomes but it seems they're only interested in new installs and keep away from repairs!

Cheers and thanks again.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hello to all the good people in this thread, I'm looking for some inspiration to the same problem Two on Tour had which as recently arisen (had the van 3 years with no problems) and I've found this very helpful. However having gone through all the stages, checks & tests suggested I still get the same 3 x 2 blips error whenever the cab door switch cct is closed and the alarm is activated. I've even replaced the door reed switch and gone back along the cable route to where it joins the wires to (I presume) the Canbus unit, continuity is all good when tested (open and closed) but when closed and the alarm set, off it goes with those damn blips.

Currently I've left the door switch disconnected and the rest of the system works as normal. Fortunately the PIR triggers the alarm if I go in through the cab door. That said, as I can set the alarm with that door open the Canbus must not be registering that the door cct is open. Would anyone kindly have any ideas as to why, and possible next step?

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

Hi Tony Shortap I suspect that you have fitted a normally closed contact rather than a normally open contact that the Autowatch 695RLC uses on the hab door.
Autowatch should be able to supply you with the correct contact or you can buy from this supplier.

Jul 11, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Thanks for that ToT :)giggle:). I will try that, but if I may pick your brains one more time for my understanding: Does the Autowatch system work by the switch reeds closing when the magnet is in play (< 12mm - door closed, making a complete cct) and if the alarm is armed and the magnet is removed (i.e. door is opened without disarming the alarm) the reeds move apart (to NO) breaking that cct, thus triggering the alarm? I'm assuming that by arming the alarm a current runs through the reed switch and this is registered in the Canbus unit.

I think you should get a commission fee from Autowatch...
Regards, Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back