Autotrail woes (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
True. I reckon we are lucky. An Autotrail from Catterick Caravans was on our short list.

We had a lucky escape then - were thinking about an RollerTeam from Catterick Caravans and although we didn't find anything wrong with the dealers (we didn't actually buy anything there!), it wasn't the correct MH for us.

Ended up at Marquis in Birtley with a German T.E.C., which (so far) have been very happy with (dealers are still pants though!)

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Not really, very pleasant down here, all the immigrants mostly go up norf:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Forgive my poor understanding of the Southern dialect, but isn't it pronounced Saaaf and Nawf ? ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
True. I reckon we are lucky. An Autotrail from Catterick Caravans was on our short list.

We had a lucky escape then - were thinking about an RollerTeam from Catterick Caravans and although we didn't find anything wrong with the dealers (we didn't actually buy anything there!), it wasn't the correct MH for us.

Ended up at Marquis in Birtley with a German T.E.C., which (so far) have been very happy with (dealers are still pants though!)

They are fairly new to motorhomes. Took them on when the Burtree lot went belly up. I think they were known as Leisure Caravans, or something similar, then.
Catterick lot saw an opening and moved in. Bought stock and all sorts. I think the salesman came over with the stock and set things up. They are now selling cars so that when someone wants a caravan that is to big for the car they own, they can introduce them to Ssanyongs. Yes, that is the correct spelling.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Ssangyong - the car brand that puts the U in UGLY. Hideous loathsome South Korean vehicles.

Our MH originally came from CamperNE as they appear to be the only dealer in the country of the brand -

"T.E.C. becomes LMC
Dear guests and friends, dear customers,

by August 31st 2013 T.E.C. will cease the production of new vehicles. On this page you can find an overview of our current 2013 models, which are of course still to be found at one of our dealers.

Our product range of new Caravans and Motorhomes has been integrated into the program of our closely connected partner company LMC. If you are interested in former T.E.C. motorhomes just check out the LMC Breezer Lift and LMC Cruiser SportLine. We are sure you will find what you are looking for.
"

Wonder why?

and will existing Warranties be honoured?

::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
"T.E.C. becomes LMC
Dear guests and friends, dear customers,

by August 31st 2013 T.E.C. will cease the production of new vehicles. On this page you can find an overview of our current 2013 models, which are of course still to be found at one of our dealers.

Our product range of new Caravans and Motorhomes has been integrated into the program of our closely connected partner company LMC. If you are interested in former T.E.C. motorhomes just check out the LMC Breezer Lift and LMC Cruiser SportLine. We are sure you will find what you are looking for.
"

Wonder why?

and will existing Warranties be honoured?

::bigsmile:

Seems they are built in the same factory as Dethleffs & Hymer. I see no reason why warranties wouldn't be honoured, they just aren't making that brand anymore . . .:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

We also ended up at Birtley - but at Camper NE, who were excellent.

Strangely, the salesman had previously worked next door at Discover (formerly Barrons) which is now Tyneside Leisure World (part of Catterick Caravans).

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you are up norf as they say:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and you want to be looked after, see Dean at Camper UK, forget the others, go to the best up there:thumb:

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Although we bought from up there I see no reason to return. Not particularly impressed with the aftersales at Marquis . . .

and you want to be looked after, see Dean at Camper UK, forget the others, go to the best up there:thumb:

Peter

I agree with Peter, Tim.

When we bought out van the Marquis site was still owned by Brownhills - and we weren't impressed :Smile:
We went to the Marquis open day just over a year ago - and we weren't all that impressed :Smile:

Camper NE, though, were in a different league, very helpful through the whole process. They were selling our van on behalf of the previous owner. When we picked it up we discovered there was only one set of keys. Camper NE got in touch with the previous owner who said he had only ever had one set - but they still paid over £200 for new ignition and habitation keys for us despite that and kept us in touch with progress throughout.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I happened to be in Banbury on Saturday looking at MHs for a relative and saw a Comanche on a 12 plate sat on a dealers forecourt. I couldn't resist so I had to go and have a look at it.
It has 3,730 miles on the clock and has some of the modifications that went into this years upgrade, but not all of them, so it pretty much the same spec as ours. The main difference being that it has the Comfort-matic gearbox, so no reverse judder there then, but this will add £1,420 to the price making it roughly £75,500 new.
I had to have a look in the gas locker for comparison and it has the galvanized metal inner, which is the new version of our composite material inner. The door catches were held together with cable ties AND metal rings off key rings, which suggests they have had the same problems as we have with the locker door, ie the catches fouling the 13kg gas bottles and the door not closing properly. Obviously the dealer wasn't going to enlighten me with any problems it had had, especially as he thought he might have a sale at some time.

So it would seem that Auto-Trail have not sorted out the locker problem, even with a modified inner. Whatever prompted the previous owner to sell it back to the dealer I will never know, if he did sell it back. He may have returned it as not fit for purpose and had a refund, but if he didn't he certainly would have taken quite a hit with the lost value on trade in. It is currently advertised at £57,995, so the dealer will have paid nowhere near that in order to make his profit. Even at the prices shown it is still £16,500 lost. That's about £4.42 a mile it has cost him, not counting anything else.

The dealer is Elite Motorhomes, who I have no problems with whatsoever, as they were friendly and as helpful as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Updated update

Off to the dealers tomorrow for warranty work to be done.
Should have been last month but a broken ankle stopped me from driving. :Sad:

I'll report back with any progress. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still not happy.

Spent all day at the dealers today and this is the result.

The issue with the gas bottle locker door not closing with 2x13 kg bottles in, as per specification, is still unresolved. I just discovered that the after sales manager that I was dealing with has left.

The 4th control panel was fitted, I calibrated it myself as they hadn't/couldn't do it. Got home and went to switch the hab lights on, nothing. Wait 5 minutes and they worked, so same problem unresolved.
Also, I believe, linked to this was the awning light not working correctly, it turned pink, and then wouldn't work at all. This was replaced last time but the same thing happened to the new one, so another new one was due to be fitted today. Needless to say the old one worked perfectly and the new new one is on the store shelf with my name on it for future fitting should the old new one fail again.

The 6 orange side marker lights that corroded have been replaced and are working.

The shower trim has been replaced. Time will tell if it stays on.

A new off side rear garage door has been fitted because the hinge was seized and you can't just get a hinge. You have to have the whole door, frame and hinge. They forgot to order a door with the silver trim so I now have to wait for that to arrive.

The seal was fitted to the near side rear garage door to stop the leak. Unfortunately the hinge on that is seizing up now, so another new door has been ordered, hopefully with a trim. The hinge for the gas bottle locker is also seizing up, so a new door has been ordered for that as well.
There is no way to lubricate the hinges, other than stripping them down, and the metals that the different components are made from (steel and some form of alloy) are not compatible and they corrode together, rather than rust.

The waste water sensor still hasn't turned up. No idea when that will appear, if ever.

But to add to the saga, the Phantom tracker has stopped talking to HQ and needs resetting. The dealer was supposed to be able to do it, but nobody told me that they needed the code, so I didn't have it with me. They could do it if they located the actual unit, but the person who fit it in the first place did such a good job of hiding it that they couldn't find it, and he is on holiday. So no tracker working at the moment which technically means that I am not insured, as it is a condition of the insurance agreement.

I think I need a lie down in a dark room. :wooo:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It is time to throw the whole bloody thing back at Autotrail, let them replace it with one that was built on a good day and compensate you for all of the time and money spent plus loss of amenity for the time spent trying to solve it plus interest on the cash paid. sue them into the middle of next month it is not of merchantable quality and not an acceptable way to treat a customer.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with

Peter

Can I please ask is that Dean Barnes with whom we've had great dealings in another employment and we've lost contact
Thanks
Ian

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So sorry you are having such trouble with this van. Hope your problems are soon resolved. BUSBY:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i see in my crystal ball that you will be having dealings with solicitors and a court room in the very near future

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Why don't you join the Autotrail Owners Club and go along to one of their annual factory visits, guided tour of the factory by the directors et al, nice meal laid on, nice evening do,,,,,,,, then hit them with your MH woes, even pull it into their factory and ask 'what are you going to do about this' with your box of matches at hand?

A large percentage of the Autotrail member/owners will be there - get out of that one sir,,,,,,:roflmto: Though I say this in jest, a complaint coming from this very large, marque specific club will definitely get their attention.

Just a thought.

Trikeman. :winky:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Catterick Caravans.

They rang me this morning as Autotrail are now querying the length and cover of the warranty.

Definitely time to spend a bit of money and start getting proper legal advice. This is a big company, sounds like their legal eagle will already be having a scan looking for a potential "get out!"

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Peter

Ill second this, they did great work for me, thier not cheap but quaility service lasts longer than bodgeit-n-scarper

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
They've got a nerve. Surely they should be offering you an extended warranty of at least another year for nothing. The concept of customer care is obviously totally alien to them. :Angry:

The original warranty is three years, so just under two years still to go.
There is also an extra insured warranty that I took out with them that lasts two years.
I fail to see what they are querying.
Unless they are now looking to see what exclusions they can find to wriggle out of their obligations.

Why don't you join the Autotrail Owners Club and go along to one of their annual factory visits, guided tour of the factory by the directors et al, nice meal laid on, nice evening do,,,,,,,, then hit them with your MH woes, even pull it into their factory and ask 'what are you going to do about this' with your box of matches at hand?

A large percentage of the Autotrail member/owners will be there - get out of that one sir,,,,,,:roflmto: Though I say this in jest, a complaint coming from this very large, marque specific club will definitely get their attention.

Just a thought.

Trikeman. :winky:

I've been on the factory tour, so they already know who I am :boxing:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back