knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Off to Catterick Caravans first thing in the morning to have "all" of the outstanding work done. Unfortunately more things have cropped up since my last posting on the subject and they are now "worried that they may not be able to do all of the jobs in the time they have allocated".
No problem, as I will wait all day and stay over into Friday if need be.

Let's see what they can fix in "the allocated time" shall we.
I'll let you all know how it went.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just for a bit of balance, I can say ours is still exceeding my expectations.

We had a few tiny faults that were soon sorted out by Johns Cross.

We now have a fault with the microwave but that can wait until it's in for it's annual service.

Very, very pleased indeed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its the same old story ..

It happens to pretty much any and all consumer stuff.. And especially something with as many component parts as a motorhome

Out of the hundreds produced there are bound to be the odd one that has problems.

You do not hear from folk ( usually ) who have no issues.. I mean, what is the point of posting 'I have nothing to say, all is working fine'.. If everyone who had no problems did that, this and other forums would be a pretty boring place !!

But it is not the faults that are of concern so much, as the complete ( well almost ! ) lack of customer care when things do go wrong.

Look at the example of this thread.
Why oh why should someone spend so much time and effort to get faults and problems sorted out ?

No, we only usually hear of problems.. so cannot reliably put a figure or percentage of output that DOES have issues..

We can however put a figure on the amount of issues that either remain unresolved completely, or take a good deal of fighting and threats to get resolved.

Sadly that percentage is extremely high.

Apart from Peters customers, how many times has someone posted about an issue that has been brought to the attention of the company in question only to be fobbed off, told it will be months to get something fixed, or simply been ignored ?

An awful lot.. Yes, there have been the VERY occasional feel good post, but they are FAR out weighed by diametrically opposite ones.

This thread started 5 days short of a YEAR ago.. it is still rambling on..

Would any DECENT CUSTOMER FACING company allow that to happen ?

Well yes, it might happen to the best in the world once... But goodness me, this is not a one off is it ..

I really hope K O A B gets all the problems resolved and look forward to hearing a positive report.. But who will be next ? And how many out there in the same position who own caravans, or are not members of this forum ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Its the same old story ..

It happens to pretty much any and all consumer stuff.. And especially something with as many component parts as a motorhome

Out of the hundreds produced there are bound to be the odd one that has problems.

You do not hear from folk ( usually ) who have no issues.. I mean, what is the point of posting 'I have nothing to say, all is working fine'.. If everyone who had no problems did that, this and other forums would be a pretty boring place !!

But it is not the faults that are of concern so much, as the complete ( well almost ! ) lack of customer care when things do go wrong.

Look at the example of this thread.
Why oh why should someone spend so much time and effort to get faults and problems sorted out ?

No, we only usually hear of problems.. so cannot reliably put a figure or percentage of output that DOES have issues..

We can however put a figure on the amount of issues that either remain unresolved completely, or take a good deal of fighting and threats to get resolved.

Sadly that percentage is extremely high.

Apart from Peters customers, how many times has someone posted about an issue that has been brought to the attention of the company in question only to be fobbed off, told it will be months to get something fixed, or simply been ignored ?

An awful lot.. Yes, there have been the VERY occasional feel good post, but they are FAR out weighed by diametrically opposite ones.

This thread started 5 days short of a YEAR ago.. it is still rambling on..

Would any DECENT CUSTOMER FACING company allow that to happen ?

Well yes, it might happen to the best in the world once... But goodness me, this is not a one off is it ..

I really hope K O A B gets all the problems resolved and look forward to hearing a positive report.. But who will be next ? And how many out there in the same position who own caravans, or are not members of this forum ??

Jaws is spot on with this post, It really is amazing how this leisure industry just don`t seem to give a rats about the quality of their service or their product.
Yet we keep on buying from them.
How long will it take for these companies to get their act together especially with the internet which is an excellent vehicle for disgruntled customers to tell their story to the whole world at the touch of a few key presses.

On a more positive note, we have just purchased a new Autotrail motorhome from Premier Motorhomes in Chichester, so far they have been excellent, we would recommend them 100% :thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have nothing to say, all is working fine

:ROFLMAO:

Well, someone had to.....:thumb:

You've done it now! Youve just broken rule 2
Remember the 3 rules
1 never volunteer.
2 never say everything is working fine.
3 never tell your other half how much it really was.

Allan

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I'm afraid the story still rambles on.
I am now waiting for the fourth control panel, which has been ordered today, as they cannot find the intermittent fault with the main hab lights, and insist it is the control panel.
After sitting all day at Catterick Caravans they finally said it was ready.
Except that we have to order a new locker hinge as yours is seized up. I had already told them that.
We have to order a new seal for the rear locker as yours is leaking in. I had already told them that.
We have to order a new trim for the shower entrance as yours has shrunk and doesn't fit. I had already.......etc
We have to order a new set of side marker lights (the orange ones) as yours are all corroded and some don't work. Guess what's next. I had etc
We can't fit the new water level sensor in your grey waste tank because we need a ramp to drop the tank, and we don't have one. We will have to arrange to borrow one.
We can't change the cracked hab door catch as we have to order one. This is one of the original faults that they actually pointed out to me twelve months ago.

That was when I lost it and swore and shouted a bit and told them that I was going straight to Trading Standards as I had had enough.
Just as I was about to drive away the Aftersales Manager came running across to me with a bag in his hand. This contained a new hab door catch, fresh water drain tap and grey water drain tap (original faults). Apparently it had been sat in their stores for eleven months. They are now fitted to the MH.

The hab service and damp check have been done but I have not paid the bill. I think a twelve month wait for the money might go some way to making me feel a bit better.

No word from Auto-Trail whatsoever regarding the gas locker that the bottles won't fit into, and I didn't expect there to be. They are just hoping that the problem will go away if they ignore it long enough.

So the saga continues.

It makes me wonder if it is me expecting too much for everything that I have paid for to work, or am I alone in those expectations ? :shout:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
knokinonabit said:
The hab service and damp check have been done but I have not paid the bill.

Bill ?? BILL !!!!!!!!!!

You mean they had the front to present a bill ?????????????????

JEEZUZ H CHRIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say its bloody lucky this not me having to deal with it .. I would be in a police cell tonight !!!

You sir, deserve a medal for your patience ..

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think I would have waived the hab service bill if you have gone through all that!

Shame you are having issues - hope they are sorted out soon!:thumb:

Or get your money back under the 'not fit for purpose' route as most of the faults that existed on sale are still present after a year of constant services. They have had plenty of opportunity.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A lot of your problems seem to lie with your dealer currently.

It's very poor:Sad:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
With my Autotrail problems I am glad I went straight to the factory, at least they cant pass the issue on to anyone else..
I had an extra issue just as it was due to go in to them, fan on the toilet stopped working. I checked power and it seemed to be just a faulty fan.. They refitted a brand new toilet. !!!

My Dealer was a waste of time, in fact, to this day they have never been in touch or replied to my messages from December 2012 !! Shame on Leisure kingdom Derby. !!

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Acting on advice given by a Funster I tried to call Autotrails service department, thinking that they finished at 2pm on Friday. Wrong :Doh:. They now finish at 1pm. I will try again on Monday. :swear:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would email Colin Treacher at Autotrail or call and ask to speak with him..

They resolved my issues, I think, the next hab service will soon tell if we have cured the water ingress.. At least it no longer rains in via the Heki ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

They resolved my issues, I think, the next hab service will soon tell if we have cured the water ingress.. At least it no longer rains in via the Heki ::bigsmile:

What is Colins job title please and do you have a specific e-mail address for him.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have just googled Mr Treacher.. I happened upon this.. You might like to quote it in any mails you send K O A B.

Company Description: It is clear to see that Auto-Trail is a company that listens hard to its customers, knowing customer feedback is the most important ingredient of any successful business. Therefore, from the initial design and planning, to the final touches, we always keep in mind the practical priorities of the people who enjoy using our luxury leisure homes. In recent years, Auto-Trail has achieved an unrivalled track record of sensational growth and enjoys an ever increasing share of the UK motorhome market. This has been created by continuing to innovate and constantly focusing on new concepts and trends. Whilst our design and engineering team work to expand the expectations of our customers, the important issue of safety is also addressed. Each and every Auto-Trail Luxury Leisure vehicle is fully compliant with Quality Standard ISO 9002 and the latest European standards governing motorhome construction and use. We believe in building motorhomes which 'mirror' many of the 'domestic' comforts, features and fittings found in your own home.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Or you could write to either Mr Stuart Turpin and or Mr D.G. Thomas.
Their Job titles are Joint Managing Director.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Acting on advice given by a Funster I tried to call Autotrails service department, thinking that they finished at 2pm on Friday. Wrong :Doh:. They now finish at 1pm. I will try again on Monday. :swear:

We were down at Oaktree Motors a couple of weeks back, we had to contact Autotrail customer service department with a couple of queries. First of all we were told that their phone system was down and that they couldn't put me through to anyone, this was on a Friday morning. I suggested that I would call them back that afternoon and the receptionist said to me, the problem won't be fixed over the weekend, don't phone us until at least midday on Monday:Doh:
She then went to say, even if our phones were working on a Friday afternoon, you won't get anyone because we close at 1 pm:whatthe:

Despite our post on here in May, we did decide to trade in our Elddis 180 for an Autotrail Dakota, which will we be going down for on 28th.

We didn't have any problems at all with our new Elddis until someone in a van with ladders on the top, reversed into the side of us whilst we were waiting in a queue for petrol. The side rear window, side panel and all the decals had to be replaced:cry:

Once again, we blame our local dealer for not pushing things with Elddis, eventually after three months I decided to by-pass our local dealer and push things ahead by going directly to the top at Elddis. This upset our dealer, but as they had been dragging their heels, I wasn't prepared to wait and put my "professional pest" hat on, having had a lifetime of experience of being a pest to big organisations::bigsmile:

I've always found from experience that I get more action and results by starting right at the top and letting the sticky brown stuff filter all the way down to the bottom:Smile:

I hope you get this all sorted out soon:thumb:

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yet another update

As the saga rumbles on I thought that I would post the latest instalment, so here it is.

The new parts that have arrived and are in their stores waiting for fitment are:
Control panel (fourth one)
Seal for nearside rear locker door
New locker door for rear offside (apparently you can't get a hinge as it is part of the locker door frame, so you have to have the complete item)
Trim for shower entrance
Six orange side marker lights

The grey water level sensor hasn't arrived yet as there is some dispute as to which is the correct one between dealer and Auto-Trail.

The earliest I can get booked in to have these faults fixed is the 7th of November, due to the fact that it is the first available day that the "body" technician and a "mechanical" technician will both be free to work on the MH.

I have heard nothing from Auto-Trail for a long time. I think they are giving me a severe coat of ignoring. They WILL hear from me though.

Oh well, time for my happy pills and bed now :wooo: ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wouldn't say damp was trivial, by any means, but the problems we are having are on a new vehicle, which makes it harder to swallow.

True. I reckon we are lucky. An Autotrail from Catterick Caravans was on our short list.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I once had a look at an Auto-Trail on the forcourt of Discover Leisure at Copull, although it was brand new it had been robbed for parts by the service guys so you couldn't blame Auto-Trail for delivering it in that condition. I walked away. Regarding transmission judder all the x250 post 2009 models have a later gearbox fitted, not modified, so there shouldn't be any judder at all. No matterwhat modifications have been done to the pre 2009 models i would avoid them like the plague but there again that is only me being cautious. During the period of juddergate there was a lot of assumptions being made as to what the cause was and what modifications were being done, and as I knew the local Fiat dealers senior fitter he explained to me the sort of remedial work that was being carried out and it was quite involved. Anyone considering buying an early x250 should take the chassis and registeration number to their local Fiat dealer and ask if any modifications or recall work has been carried out, that way you can decide whether to go ahead before you put a signature on a sales order form.

Would not touch an X250 with a barge pole. Once bitten twice shy. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi KNOCKINOABIT. We do really feel for you as you struggle to get yours sorted, but it WILL be worth it mate... We were away in ours last year, doing the whole coast of France Spain and Portugal for over 3 months and doing 5,000 miles in slow time and the good news ? ? ?
It did'n't miss a beat and not a single problem except the hab door handle snapping off inside.
and a bit of a leaky kitchen tap which I swapped to the toilet sink so it was'n't as critical.. SO, it WILL be worth it... Very good luck... Mitch and Jenny.. :thumb:

A £50000 motorhome should be perfect. BUSBY:roflmto:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi
you do not say how much you paid just say £30000 if this was a BMW car with all these faults you would have taken it back and proberly demanded action so why o why do motorhome buyers just except this as normal these dealers get away with murder and the manufactors and fiat treat uk owners like sh---- its about time someone stood up to them a £50000 motorhome with clutch judder a joke . Bernie

Trouble is people come on here and tell us about all the faults with their new £50000 van and then say they are happy with it. They are either easily pleased or did not have to work very hard for their money.BUSBY:roflmto:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
£74K for a C class British built motorhome :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:good grief!! Didn't even pay that for a brand new A class with a much better build quality than most Brit built vans:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Hope you get it sorted in the end, we had our fair share of issues with the dealer as well, most of it dealer fault and lies lies lies.

edit: I have just noted that this is the follow on from the ill-fated Autotrail Grande Frontier which was their somewhat chaotic effort at creating a Brit built A class.......we had a really good look around it in 2007 when it was launched - very glitzy but very very expensive and badly built - the model at the show looked like hell after people had traipsed in and out to look and the poor build quality was really clear at the time. Also the very odd bathroom cupboard shelving that opened (fell out) when you opened an outdoor locker and peculiar "garage" space. I do hope they fixed some of their issues with the Comanche and that it serves you well in the end.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back