Autotrail wardrobe hinges (1 Viewer)

D

Dafydd 2

Deleted User
The upper screw of one of the wardrobe's 'kitchen unit' type hinges has loosened on the frame, causing movement in the actual hinge every time the door is opened. Re-tightening is ineffective and unless I sort it out there will undoubtedly be further damage.
I wonder if anyone out there has a remedy? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When we had a 2013 Tracker all the screws in the doors worked loose and even had the rounded sink door fall off whilst moving.
Being a chippy I remedied this by bolting the doors on using lock nuts on inside. Never had a problem after that.
Most of the bolt heads were hidden but if some are exposed either cap them with plastic covers or use stainless cup square head bolts they look fine.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Bolting, as Alan says, is the "guaranteed solution" however if you don't want to do that glue in a matchstick \ cocktail stick cut off at the hole depth (basically you're filling the screw hole) and re-affix your screws.
Means you can remove the screws later if needed.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Put some white pva glue on the thread
Problem is that the ply it's fixed to is so thin and light the screws don't bite and eventually turn round and round where they are continually tightened.
You would think Autotrail would have Sussed this out, you pay enough money for them. That's why we changed to Hymer never had any of that sort of problem with the current van and done very nearly 16000 miles in her over last two years.

OP
OP
D

Dafydd 2

Deleted User
Some useful responses - thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Problem is that the ply it's fixed to is so thin and light the screws don't bite

It's not even ply now.. Just some sort of "fibre board".. As you say once worn there is nothing for the screw to bite into.
Same thing happened on mine, i did manage to secure with a slightly thicker screw (y)
But if that failed i would have gone with a matchsitck and a bit of glue to bung up the hole and tried that...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The best fix would be to carefully drill out the stripped thread then glue a bit of dowel in the hole. Cut it flush when the glue dries and replace the screw.
But I don't know why manufacturers use these sort of hinges. Ours has piano hinges on every door and cabinet and we've never had anything come loose over the last four years. Piano hinges use numerous small screws, the bathroom and wardrobe doors must have a hundred each. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours has piano hinges on every door and cabinet and we've never had anything come loose over the last four years. :)
Trouble is that they are an absolute pain if you have to remove the door for some reason and if you do remove a piano hinge door the screws are likely not to hold well once put in again.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Problem is that the ply it's fixed to is so thin and light the screws don't bite and eventually turn round and round where they are continually tightened.
You would think Autotrail would have Sussed this out, you pay enough money for them. That's why we changed to Hymer never had any of that sort of problem with the current van and done very nearly 16000 miles in her over last two years.

Not just Autotrail .. Swift are just as bad they use wallpaper that looks like wood over the very thin ply and then GLUE door frames to it. All that happens is the paper pulls away from the thin outer ply. Had a look round a Bailey today at Lowdhams they certainly know how to save a few bob on fittings. The top cupboard doors are so long with a small hinge at each end and a little plastic clip in the middle holding it shut. Also missing is a decent sized bottom rail to stop items falling out.

Glad we took the plunge and bought a Laika ( Hymer Group ) at least when you screw something to it it stays screwed.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Two of mine have come off, the curved door and one overhead locker. Same as others have posted, very inferior 'wood'.
Mine happened while away, so bought a tube of No Nails. Worked a treat, just hope I don't have to get them off in future for any reason!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
one of mine came loose on the door above the sink (new 2017 rapido mh), i put slightly larger screw in and so far it has been ok although not really seen the mh since i did this so i am hoping it is :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back