Aug 18, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

As newbies to the site we are debating buying an Autotrail Tracker, perhaps the EKS or the FB. It will be our first MH and we have spent a long time reading about other people's experiences and visiting and viewing. Perhaps too long.

What are Auto Trail owners opinions about this model in terms of build quality and ease of driving/parking up? We are a couple with a small dog who hope to be travelling a lot in Europe, albeit slowly and with no fixed locations in mind yet. We intend to have a lot of fun.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not an Autotrail owner but it is a nice van. Think carefully about where both you are the dog are likely to sleep, plus if you are travelling extensively, look at the payload as well

Upvote 0

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Like any van there are fans for and against Auto trails, I find the build quality is ok on our one at least, there will allways be aspects of it that isnt quite right for you but this give you the oppotunity to change it to your tastes.
The base chassis are good as well.
all of the kit inside is very similar to all the other vans in the same price bracket, unless you are going for a very high end van of 100k there isnt a lot betweem vans, find one with the best layout for you and also think of how you are going to use it, if your not stopping anywhere longer than a day or so then you will probably only going to use the wind out canopy not an awning if your going to cook mainly on a BBQ then the oven hop wont be high up on the list, and other things like this.
We do find the fixed bed isfor us as we cant stand the making up and taking down of beds each day and we accept it uses a lot of room.
hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Hi,

As newbies to the site we are debating buying an Autotrail Tracker, perhaps the EKS or the FB. It will be our first MH and we have spent a long time reading about other people's experiences and visiting and viewing. Perhaps too long.

What are Auto Trail owners opinions about this model in terms of build quality and ease of driving/parking up? We are a couple with a small dog who hope to be travelling a lot in Europe, albeit slowly and with no fixed locations in mind yet. We intend to have a lot of fun.
My owners have had a new TrackerFB since October after 21 years caravanning and we've had great fun using it over 6000 miles to date in the UK and on an 8 week tour of France. There's plenty of room for the 3 of us and I travel in a collapsible canvas crate in the kitchen area. I've heard them talk about some teething troubles and occasionally we go back to the nice people at Premier Motor Homes to get them sorted but overall I know they're really happy with their choice.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Michael and welcome :welc:
We have a Tracker EK and are overall very pleased with it although we are now looking for a fixed bed as we are fed up with making the bed every night. It's not too bad if only away for up to a week but any longer and we find it a chore.
Fixed bed models are generally longer so that needs to be considered.
I think all Motorhomes are a compromise and you will never get everything you want unless you have loads of money and can have one bespoke.
Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it (y)

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I also have a Tracker FB. Bought new in 2012. We are a retired couple.

Since we bought it we have spent around 200 nights in it and the interior still looks good.

I have had a fair few niggling faults, some must have cost Autotrail a fair bit of cash, most I have fixed myself.

The Fiat bit has been boreingly reliable and faultless for around 15k miles.

Dead cheap to service so far and nice to drive.

We love the lay out of the van and it suits us. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Our first van was a new 60 plate EKS great all round choice you can either make up a huge double bed or 2 singles. Lounge area was excellent with lots of room and the 2 large side windows make for good viewing and make interior very bright. We went for the highline with the over cab bed removing the mattress as this space makes for great additional storage. Restricted storage is probably my only moan for lengthy touring, payload was good and we fitted a solar panel and additional leisure battery which really opened up our options for both wilding and rallying.

The length of the EKS makes for easy parking and we got it onto some very narrow windy roads without problem. Prior to changing it we were looking at fitting a back box to the rear mounted cycle rack to give us more storage.

My tuppence worth hope it's of help we spent 18 months looking at vans and talking to owners before settling on the Tracker we do have an AT dealer 45 miles from us which is another consideration if it needs any warranty snags sorting.

Upvote 0

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi I have just downsized from the AT Chieftain to an AT Tracker it is an older model with rear kitchen and wet room. The lounge area is at the front and makes up to a double bed or two singles. I love it to bits and find it very comfortable. The only shortfall is lack of exterior storage there is more than enough cupboards inside

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AnEnglishmanAbroad
Aug 18, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2015
Again thank you everybody for the wide range of thoughts and advice. It is all really helpful. I guess at the end of the day buying a MH is a compromise and you live with the good and not so good. The main factor for us is that it will allow us to visit and enjoy parts of the world that we just would never have considered, for practical reasons. Thanks again.

Sandie and I are off to Spain by easyJet (not good) for a couple of weeks. We are staying near Denia and will take the opportunity to visit a couple of MH sites out there and get a better understanding as a result. Eddie our Border Terrier will take a week to forgive us when we return.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My folks have a 2011 Tracker EKS and I've borrowed it a few times. No issues with regards to build - it's always been serviced at Autotrail and they have replaced all the LED lights, battery charger and batteries and kitchen tap without any issues at all.

Upvote 0

reenag06

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starspirit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have read with great interest the views on tracker. I am looking for a not new van with rear lounge. Can anyone tell me length of beds if used as singles please. Also most vans are 2 litre - are they powerful enough? Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Habitation door handle ugh :Eeek:

My brother in law has one and that bl##dy inside habitation handle always breaks off in my hand, otherwise a nicely fitted motorhome .

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi,
We bought our FB Tracker last April and found the payload was not up to much however I got in touch with SVTech and got it uprated to 3850 KG had air suspension fitted to rear and fitted 225 tyres sent the docs to DVLA and got it uprated no problem.since then we have done nearly 12000 miles in it including Spain,France & Orkney.I have made a few changes to the interior like cutting the wardrobe door in two and hanging the bathroom door on the opposite side to make it easier to move around in it we think it's a great layout for us and the dogs,we opted for an over cab bed to give a bit more sleeping space which leaves the seating area clear and you can leave beds made up.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! A fixed bed makes a big difference. I wouldn't worry too much about a foot or so extra in length, get a reversing camera and this will aid parking. Just make sure your going to be OK on weight. We have the Excel 670B and have added a few upgrades and have had to have it up rated to 3.5T. We are on our absolute limit when fully loaded up. Being overweight is a common problem with Motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back