Autotrail tracker eks problem with it wavering at the front on acceleration? (2 Viewers)

droopydrawers

Free Member
Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker ek
My autotrail tracker feels light at the front end,on acceleration it wavers from side to side. Have checked for the proper tyres ,tyres on and running in right direction ,tread excellent,can anyone shed any light on this.would be very much obliged. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If fully loaded and with hard acceleration wheelspin is possible which could also cause sideslip.
Has this happened since you obtained the motorhome or has the problem just started.
Btw you haven’t mentioned if tyre pressures correct and is the handbrake totally free.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4: as has been said check weight at the rear , and make sure you know your payload/axle payloads.

OP
OP
D

droopydrawers

Free Member
Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker ek
:welcome4: as has been said check weight at the rear , and make sure you know your payload/axle payloads.
Sure its not a weight distribution problem. But one o the team has suggested bushes, didn't think it was mechanical as only had it few months and its only done 11k

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

droopydrawers

Free Member
Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker ek
My first
Post and hope you guys n girls bare with me. No I sure its not a weight distribution problem.
If fully loaded and with hard acceleration wheelspin is possible which could also cause sideslip.
Has this happened since you obtained the motorhome or has the problem just started.
Btw you haven’t mentioned if tyre pressures correct and is the handbrake totally free.
All tyres n pressures fine, proper camper tyres running in right direction,plenty tread. Handbrake off,yes been like that since I got it.I hadn't put my foot down on the pedal since getting it ,so hence its took me a wee while to notice

OP
OP
D

droopydrawers

Free Member
Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker ek
Thanks you lot very much appreciated for now.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Get both axels weighed

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Check axle weights , tyre pressures , tracking . Steering rack mounts and bushes. rear axle fixings (cant be more specific as don't know actual vehicle build)

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
I had that on a 4x4 , it turned out the tyres had not been balanced when I had new ones put on the front only a few days before

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like others have said get it on a Weighbridge and check axle weights.
If the tyres are Michelin Campers they are terrible where grip is concerned.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sounds all the way too much weight in the rear, don't take to much notice of makers recommendation, get it weighed.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I have to concur with others. Too much weight on rear axle and front tyre pressures over inflated. As Lenny says, especially if they are Michelin Agilis camping tyres. All this assumes that it is not an old van with "starship" mileage.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Does this motorhome have all the heavy kitchen and bathroom stuff over and behind the rear axle? I sometimes wonder whether it is possible to get good weight distribution with this layout.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Does this motorhome have all the heavy kitchen and bathroom stuff over and behind the rear axle? I sometimes wonder whether it is possible to get good weight distribution with this layout.
We used to have a 2006 AT Tracker EKS - ‘End Kitchen Shower’. The water tank and spare wheel were also back there, along with the tow bar (obviously) on ours.

But don’t recall ever having a similar handling issue as described by the OP.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My autotrail tracker feels light at the front end,on acceleration it wavers from side to side. Have checked for the proper tyres ,tyres on and running in right direction ,tread excellent,can anyone shed any light on this.would be very much obliged. Thanks.
You dont say if you have checked pressures, balance and tracking.
After that I would jack each wheel and check for play.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
If its done it since you got it and this is only an opinion but could us be that it has more power than you are expecting and its just your bring a bit heavy footed I had a mk7 transit that if you accelerated hard would skip a bit remember you are basically driving a van that is 3 quarters loaded do alot of weight is behind the driven wheels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back