Loftyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2021
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 2019
Hi All.

Can anybody tell me the name for factory fitted solar Controller on a 2019 Amala? Thinking of up grading to a more reliable one, possibly a smart one. Any suggestions would be welcome?

Thanks Lofty

Attachments

• 20210303_174110.jpg
    20210303_174110.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 143

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Very likely to be the Standard, basic, Sargent PWM controller.

Very easy to swap out. My v-line had the same looking controller and the EC176 box of "tricks". Simple change over of the solar controller (no other wire changes) to the Victron MPPT 75/15 smart solar that gives you blu tooth info and settings on a smartphone app.

One panel that size Victron controller is fine. If you have ambitions to increased solar a larger capacity controller would be desired, and you'd then be upgrading wires between battery and controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Loftyboy

Loftyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2021
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 2019
Thanks Kannon Fodder, I will have a look at the Victron you suggest. No plans to add additional solar, well not at this stage! Just looking for a more user friendly controller.

Cheers Lofty

OP
OP
Loftyboy

Loftyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2021
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 2019
Thanks for all your advice.

After reading older autotrail solar issues on her. I have found out that the selector switch from the controller to select either vehicle or lesuire was wired the opposite way round. Seems to be working properly now, charging the vehicle battery. So much for autotrails quality control. Thought I was going mad. Never had a battery fail at 1.5 years old.

Think I will get the Victron anyway. Really like the functionality it offers to monitor solar condition and battery levels.

Thanks guys. Lofty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
At risk of stating the obvious here, but be careful with the polarity. This controller is wired +- + -, the Victron is wired + - - +.

The Victron SmartSolar controllers can send data via Bluetooth to a phone app. Also you can get a 'Smart Battery Sense' module that sticks on the side of the battery, with thin wires to positive and negative. It sends voltage and temperature readings to the SmartSolar controller via Bluetooth, for more accurate charging.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ive got the same van and same year.
Installing the victron made hardly any difference to the amps getting to the battery due to the cable thickness.
I added thicker cables (though I do have 360w solar on the roof after I got rid of the exisiting).
I also moved the controller by routing new cables to under the seat where the battery goes.

That said, if you are not looking to get extra power, but just have a better interface then all good.

And yeah that switch LOL, madness.

another thing you may want to think about is that on board sargent charger in the EC176, gives 7 amps to the batteries at best

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back