SmellySocks

Free Member
Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
HI Newbie Question,
Looking to buy a Campervan(PVC) I know the layout I want(rear lounge single beds) so really hoping to get the price down.
I'm interested in a Devon Aztec, but just seen some cheap model on Autotrail site. But I'm confused so hoping someone knowledgeable will be able to help.

Autotrail Tribute 660 OTR £42,465
Expedition 66 OTR £36,995

Thats an 5.5K saving but the spec seems the same, the Expedition actually has a better engine. Am I missing something, why is the expedition cheaper for what seems like the same van?

Also dealers often quote a higher OTR price. For example Brownhills a have the Expedition for OTR £38,257 same spec far as I can tell(there are no options on this model). But I've seen other examples. Why do dealers have Higher OTR prices to Manufacturers(assuming same spec) ?

If I wanted to get a van cheaper, am I better to order early, dealer orders from manufacturer ? Wait until the dealer gets some in stock buy from him ? wait until he gets some in stock , doesnt sell, them then haggle in September(2021) ? Or Something else? I'm happy to buy 2nd hand or Pre Registered, but these actually dont seem very discounted from the new OTR prices? I saw a prereg that was still higher than the Manufactures OTR price.
Sorry thats a lot of questions, but hopefully you get what I mean ?

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The Expedition is a new model launch for 2021, check the delivery times, plus there probably won't be any at any dealership for another couple of weeks.

The Brownhills van you mention is fitted with optional extras: Alloy wheels, Pleated cab blinds which retail separately at about £1200. The van isn't available until February.

The Expedition is the replacement for the Tribute as the brand has been phased out for 2021, any Tribute branded van will be a 2020 conversion so there could well be a few decent discounts available if you look around a bit.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Welcome, have a read of Jim guide on buying a motorhome in the resources section.

also i believe the Expedition is a lower spec ( in terms of interior finish materials ) than the Tribute. But, i am not absolutely sure.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi from a cloudy Brean Sands.
All dealers have fairly large margins with their prices, as you can tell when you see their 'Show Specials' or when they get left with last years models. Ordering new can incur quite a sizeable wait on popular models, which your enthusiasm may not want to tolerate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SmellySocks

Free Member
Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thanks for the replies. I hadnt realised the Expedition was a replacement for the tribute, that makes sense, having just the one budget line. So OTR prices should match then, if its higher there should be a higher spec. Good to know. I'm not allowed to be in a rush, we have 2 teenagers who refuse to come in the caravan now, so I cant buy a campervan(2 berth)until the youngest is safe to leave alone for the weekend ( 16 ?) 2nd hand tribute when all the covid buyers go back to package holiday is probably my best bet to get a cheap camper I reckon.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back