Autotrail head unit (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I know the Autotrail media system 12ELE2000 is rubbish, has anyone replaced it with one of the Chinese all singing all dancing head units on e-bay, if so good or bad?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ended up buying one of in the end as it had built in DVB-T, so far I am well pleased with it.

Flinty

Free Member
Nov 14, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail EKS
Exp
Was it a matter of take the old unit out and replace or are there a lot of reconfiguring to do .Does all the wiring fir ref reversing cam ect.

Mine is a ball ache will not stay on the radio station I select whilst on the move

Flinty

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Flinty, I am yet to sort out the reverse camera but it looks straight forward, just need to change the wiring on the relay. The radio is good but still struggles to hold a station on the move, It's down to the aerial being in the wing mirror I think. It's just Like using an andriod phone so not too difficult to master. I did have to buy and additional surround and an adapter for the TV aerial.

Flinty

Free Member
Nov 14, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail EKS
Exp
Thakeham you for your reply .
Does anyone else with this media system have the same problem as us .???

Flinty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thakeham you for your reply .
Does anyone else with this media system have the same problem as us .???

Flinty
As far as I can tell most are like it on the Fiat chassis. The last van I put an aerial on the roof coz it drove me crazy.

Flinty

Free Member
Nov 14, 2015
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail EKS
Exp
Diabolo
I just carnt believe out of all those Fiat chassis out there with this media centre in it no one else is replying .
It makes me think we are the unlucky ones or are we !! and folks just put a CD in. .

FLINTY

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Update, the Chinese media unit is great so far, reversing camera,tv dvd, wifi and everything else works as as it should, you can even program the satnav part with vehicle dimensions which works well. All in all a very happy bunny.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Diabolo
I just carnt believe out of all those Fiat chassis out there with this media centre in it no one else is replying .
It makes me think we are the unlucky ones or are we !! and folks just put a CD in. .

FLINTY

Not much to say about the Autotrail 12ELE2000 or it`s replacement the 13ELE2000, they were rubbish and Autotrail wouldn`t accept any responsibility for buying and fitting them, we had three replacements from the company that made them, the second one didn`t work when the dealer fitted it, so they sent it straight back for the third replacement.

To date the radio part works ok, the Sat Nav in ours is useless, it won`t answer the phone and won`t play any other media except cd`s so we asked our dealer to either refund the Ā£999.99 we paid for it or just fit a Parrot Mk11 to the unit, we can now use our iPod for music and the Parrot hands free kit is excellent quality.
The unit was so poor quality that Autotrail stopped fitting it in their motorhomes, sadly the only people to suffer were Autotrails customers.
Autotrail did what they always do and turned their backs on these Loyal customers.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I've got one of these too. Bought Motorhome in October, touch screen became unresponsive. Back to dealer who sent it away for repair. Initially all well but now won't access the menu for TV tuning.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Mine is sat in a box in the garage. Gave up after four attempts to get it to work.
Will put it back in if we ever change Dottie.
Grooving to the tuuunes via a Eddie fitted DAB radio (upgraded tv at the same time)

Cazza

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
I am looking to replace a rubbish 11ele2000 that we inherited when we bought our (new to us) Arapaho 2010 model. Bought a cable to change the mini-b to usb (standard female) so I could plug iPod in, but that doesn't work. Not really tech savvy, is there anything out there that is a straightforward(ish) replacement that has standard USB port and will be compatible with the overhead monitor.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Update, the Chinese media unit is great so far, reversing camera,tv dvd, wifi and everything else works as as it should, you can even program the satnav part with vehicle dimensions which works well. All in all a very happy bunny.
which satnav app are you using ive added sygic to ours but not impressed

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It came with IGO Primo but I use my old Garmin unit as I'm used to it

Devon Ducky

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're looking to replace the media unit in our 2012 Savannah as the one which came with the Moho is rubbish. Looking at either a Kenwood or Pioneer. Any views or advice?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're looking to replace the media unit in our 2012 Savannah as the one which came with the Moho is rubbish. Looking at either a Kenwood or Pioneer. Any views or advice?
Are you looking for a media centre with DVB-T (tv)? If so, do Pioneer or Kenwood do a unit with this functionality integrated? If not, will you be adding an external tuner unit?
Haven't replaced ours yet as something else always seems to be taking priority!
ps this XTrons unit has tv integrated.

Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
I highly recommend the Pioneer AVIC-F980DAB-m
All singing all dancing and recommend dual camera. Sat nav is programmable for moho phone excellent. Has dab, play DVD on head, 2 USB'
It was a lot of money to a tight Yorkshireman but worth every penny

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
I have a 2013 Comanche with a 12ELE2000. I might go for the Xtrons which Gellyneck mentions, the Pioneer doesn't seem to have TV? Grateful for any advice!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have a 2013 Comanche with a 12ELE2000. I might go for the Xtrons which Gellyneck mentions, the Pioneer doesn't seem to have TV? Grateful for any advice!
Can now advise I fitted the Xtrons unit back in December however there was a fault with it. E-mailed the supplier (got it from here - )
and they responded early next morning.
They requested I updated the firmware and do a factory reset on the unit. Did this, fairly easy, however fault remained. E-mailed them again and they provided a returns label overnight. Removed, packed up the unit and returned. Replacement received about 3/4 days later.
I've installed the new unit and it appears to be working OK but haven't had the opportunity to give it a full test as yet.
So, whilst it's a bummer the first unit was faulty, suppose these things can happen but the level of service from the supplier has been very good.
In addition to the head unit I also had to get the following parts -
  • microphone to use phone through bluetooth -
  • dashboard fascia -
  • aerial plug adapter -
If your current unit is wired the same way as ours was be aware you may need to make some minor modifications to the wiring supplied with the Xtrons unit as the Auto-trail wiring is not 100% ISO format. If you do get the Xtrons unit I can let you know the mods I did.
You should also note the unit may now be in run out so stocks may not last for too long.
Let me know if you want further info.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Had mine in nearly a couple of years now and everything works as it should and well pleased with it, the only thing I would like is the ability to turn off the screen on the unit but not found a way so I just cover it over when watching the overhead screen.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Had mine in nearly a couple of years now and everything works as it should and well pleased with it, the only thing I would like is the ability to turn off the screen on the unit but not found a way so I just cover it over when watching the overhead screen.
Should have mentioned in previous post that some (most!) of the content was plagiarised from info provided by yourself, sorry!
I also omitted the requirement for this additional part - https://www.a*azon.co.uk/Type-Female-Male-Plug-Connector-Silver-Tone/dp/B01GNKSZ02/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510166800&sr=8-3&keywords=SMA+Male+to+F+Type+Female&dpID=413245HHQKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Not looked at "hiding" the TV output on the head unit but could you switch back to home screen (seem to remember I did that in error and wondered what happened!) to a static display? Probably better using your technical solution though.
Hiding of the screen on the old unit was a pain as any time you pressed any button (eg volume) on the remote it brought back the display!

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
No worries as long as the info gets put up that's the important bit.

Tiff M

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach build low line
Exp
Since 2014
Can now advise I fitted the Xtrons unit back in December however there was a fault with it. E-mailed the supplier (got it from here - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=262226582287)
and they responded early next morning.
They requested I updated the firmware and do a factory reset on the unit. Did this, fairly easy, however fault remained. E-mailed them again and they provided a returns label overnight. Removed, packed up the unit and returned. Replacement received about 3/4 days later.
I've installed the new unit and it appears to be working OK but haven't had the opportunity to give it a full test as yet.
So, whilst it's a bummer the first unit was faulty, suppose these things can happen but the level of service from the supplier has been very good.
In addition to the head unit I also had to get the following parts -
If your current unit is wired the same way as ours was be aware you may need to make some minor modifications to the wiring supplied with the Xtrons unit as the Auto-trail wiring is not 100% ISO format. If you do get the Xtrons unit I can let you know the mods I did.
You should also note the unit may now be in run out so stocks may not last for too long.
Let me know if you want further info.

Hi Gellyneck,
Could you explain what Mods you did to the wiring loom Xtrons supplied please, we are fitting Xtrons unit now and sounds like you had the same issue with the Auto-trail wiring we are having. :)
Many Thanks.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Gellyneck,
Could you explain what Mods you did to the wiring loom Xtrons supplied please, we are fitting Xtrons unit now and sounds like you had the same issue with the Auto-trail wiring we are having. :)
Many Thanks.
Installed our Xtrons unit a couple of years back so this is from memory (fading fast at my age!:rolleyes:).

The base Fiat Ducato wiring loom didn't have a "permanent +ve" so one was installed by AT to the habitation battery.

When I removed the optional AT supplied media centre (13ELE2000) I replicated the installation for the Xtrons unit. The key changes to the wiring I made was to cut the ISO spec "permanent +ve" on the Xtrons supplied wiring connector (between the head unit connector and the ISO wiring loom connector - yellow \ pin 11 from memory). In addition, as AT had broken the "switched +ve" (red \ pin 6 from memory) I cut this in the same place.

I then blanked off the ends of these cables from the ISO block. The ends from the head unit connector were both connected to the AT fitted "permanent +ve" (as per original AT fit). This means the media unit has to be turned on \ off manually as "switched +ve" is now permanently live but does mean the unit can be used without the ignition being on. Remember and turn it off though as it will drain the battery!

Subsequently, I fitted an isolator switch on the "permanent +ve" wire installed by AT so the media unit could be fully isolated from the battery as it does draw some power even when switched off. The downside of this is you have to re-tune the radio when you switch it back on.:rolleyes:

Think that's about it.

Ours has worked well for the past (nearly) three years but as this is from memory you'd better check your ISO and Xtrons connections as they may have changed in the interim (depending on the age \ model of base vehicle and media connecter). Note, this is how I did ours but no guarantee yours will be exactly the same so ......... Having said that, It should give you a fair understanding of the process \ changes I made as a guide to your installation.

Best of luck.(y)

Tiff M

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach build low line
Exp
Since 2014
Many Thanks for the swift reply, will be looking at it again today. Fingers crossed. šŸ˜€šŸ¤žšŸ»

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back