Autotrail Hab Door (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I have a 2014 Autotrail and on the habitation door, there is a strut on top which I presume is to stop the door flying open if it is windy. There doesn't seem to be any friction on it though when opening or closing it, has anyone else got a similar door that could tell me if theirs is the same or not? Thanks

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Aha! ours got caught in the wind & opened fully (usually only opens to about 150 degrees). After a bit of fiddling & getting thoroughly greasy I found there's a nylon roller in the top of the door that the end of the strut fixes into, easily pushed back. Maybe yours is the same?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our 2013 Auto-trail hab door opens with little friction to about 3-4 inches off the side wall. When closing there is, initially, a little friction that, allegedly, holds the door open but wouldn't like to try with much more than a light breeze!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have a 2014 Autotrail and on the habitation door, there is a strut on top which I presume is to stop the door flying open if it is windy. There doesn't seem to be any friction on it though when opening or closing it, has anyone else got a similar door that could tell me if theirs is the same or not? Thanks
I have a 2015 Autotrail and nothing is stopping it fully opening; also has strut.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
2005 Chieftain 1 week of ownership and the hab door locking mechanism went tits up took the door off and sorted it. No gas strut at the top of the door though:D

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The strut is a waste of time, no dampening at all.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
These struts are well known for failing if it's fitted to a Hartal door, generally, the door opens too much and pulls the nylon slider off the steel pin. Once it has done that, it will not be retained on the pin properly.
You then have 4 choices.
1. Keep putting the strut back together and be very careful opening the door
2. Put a small circlip on the end of the pin to stop it pulling out. ( or a 3 mm e clip, ask me how I know!
3. Buy a new strut from Bailey. It's much cheaper than a Hartal strut.
4. Buy a strut from Hartal

I bought a new strut from Bailey. There is a bit of friction opening and closing the door, but it won't stop a gust of wind pulling it apart
Allan

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
These struts are well known for failing if it's fitted to a Hartal door, generally, the door opens too much and pulls the nylon slider off the steel pin. Once it has done that, it will not be retained on the pin properly.
You then have 4 choices.
1. Keep putting the strut back together and be very careful opening the door
2. Put a small circlip on the end of the pin to stop it pulling out. ( or a 3 mm e clip, ask me how I know!
3. Buy a new strut from Bailey. It's much cheaper than a Hartal strut.
4. Buy a strut from Hartal

I bought a new strut from Bailey. There is a bit of friction opening and closing the door, but it won't stop a gust of wind pulling it apart
Allan
Thanks Allan
But its a gas strut on the Autotrails, I know what you mean though I used to have a Bailey 760 and had to change stay on the Hartel door twice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back