Autotrail Frontier Gas Locker 2x13Kg (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
We believe its only on the facelift models. Fixed mine today, removal of the right hand bottle securing strap & plastic harness & removal of the plastic buffer at the base has allowed the bottle to go right back (another 10mm) & the door closes & locks in place. All I have to do is figure out a way of securing the bottles!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Just to clarify is this only on the new facelift models, my scout has two 13k bottle and they seem to fit ok, no problems with the door closing.

However there was problem with the door catch giving up on the A1!

The door flew up; the cable had got cruddy for road muck and had not retracted, so the catch had no locked. I took it all off and fitted two compressed locks the same as is fitted to the bottom lockers.

I'm not sure how far back it goes as Auto-Trail seem to be in denial that the problem actually exists.
It is probably since the facelift, but at the moment I couldn't be certain.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We believe its only on the facelift models. Fixed mine today, removal of the right hand bottle securing strap & plastic harness & removal of the plastic buffer at the base has allowed the bottle to go right back (another 10mm) & the door closes & locks in place. All I have to do is figure out a way of securing the bottles!

I found that on mine I could leave the plastic retainer at the bottom as long as it was centred to where the bottle should sit and there was enough of a gap to allow the base of the bottle to fit over it.

I shaved away a good portion of of the plastic curved strap holder, almost halved the thickness, and made sure it was centred, and the locker closed, just. You could do away with the plastic bit, use two large washers and screw the strap directly to the rear wall of the gas locker.

Or Auto-Trail could get it sorted out. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Finally got a reply from Autotrail concerning the fitment of 2x13KG propane. The original email was sent on the 28th April. Here it is, make your own mind up!

Good morning, Mr. Bright,

Apologies for the delay.

The gas locker on the Comanche, can and will fit two 13kg bottles in it. I have had it demonstrated to me on various occasions.

On the floor there is two curved pieces on the floor, the bottles need to go over these, not upto them, over them, and then secured using the straps provided. Obviously the cabinets themselves are handbuilt, and all should be within the tolerance levels specified. However, it has come to our notice, that sometimes the door will still not close sufficiently. The other thing to do in this case, is to move one of the retaining straps, not both, just one, and move it from the back wall to the side wall.

Again, my apologies for the delay in responding to you, and I hope that this sorts out the issue with your gas bottles.

Kind Regards,

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Finally got a reply from Autotrail concerning the fitment of 2x13KG propane. The original email was sent on the 28th April. Here it is, make your own mind up!

Good morning, Mr. Bright,

Apologies for the delay.

The gas locker on the Comanche, can and will fit two 13kg bottles in it. I have had it demonstrated to me on various occasions.

On the floor there is two curved pieces on the floor, the bottles need to go over these, not upto them, over them, and then secured using the straps provided. Obviously the cabinets themselves are handbuilt, and all should be within the tolerance levels specified. However, it has come to our notice, that sometimes the door will still not close sufficiently. The other thing to do in this case, is to move one of the retaining straps, not both, just one, and move it from the back wall to the side wall.

Again, my apologies for the delay in responding to you, and I hope that this sorts out the issue with your gas bottles.

Kind Regards,

That is the standard reply that they give out. The only problem is that the metal strap that holds the locker in place is directly in line with where the screws go, and it is galvanised, so making a hole in it damages it's integrity and could result in it rotting through at some point.

Basically they have designed the locker so that two 13kg bottles will fit and forgot to account for the door catches, which are fairly thick. It is a fault that they are not acknowledging and as some owners will fit smaller bottles anyway, and therefore not complain, they are trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Where do we go from here ?

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I have removed the brown plastic buffer on the right & removed the right hand strap & both bottles now fit & the door closes. All ok, but as you say its not ideal.

If they won't admit a design fault & only a few complain there's not a lot we can do. its an annoying fault that can be overcome with a little thought & DIY skills.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It's not that it can't be overcome that annoys me.
It's the fact that nothing is happening from them to correct it or even admit that they have got it wrong.
It sends out all the wrong messages to potential buyers and people looking to update the Auto-Trail they might already have.

So much for taking customer satisfaction seriously.
I am still waiting for a reply to two e-mails I sent a fortnight ago. One to the dealer and one to Auto-Trail. Both were copied in to the others mail so they are aware of what is being said by me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back