Autotrail Cheyenne - Toll Charges (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How do ‘they’ know? Is a digital check of some database? Thinking of a scenario with a 3.65t uplift on a usually 3.5t model where they are visually identical.

Maybe I am the only one who just pays whichever classe is asked for (although we usually avoid toll roads if we can).

We are under 3m but over 3500kg having up-plated to 3650 as a paper exercise. In France we were charged as Classe 2 in Italy it was hit and miss but in Switzerland we registered as a PHGV (which worked out cheaper for us than the vignette - aka "wig net" as per my sister in law).

Reactions: JaG

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Just done the complete A22 in PORTUGAL last week, 2.89mt H, 3,500Kg but uprated to 4,250Kg,Taxed as PHGV, Class 2 all the way...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
We added GlideRite rear air assist to our 3.03m high Autotrail Delaware, I assume it will now be slightly higher at the back?

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
My Apache634 has a tag attached from Sanef which I originally bought for a previous sub 3 metre in height van.Tha Apache is just slightly over 3 metres and we often get to the embarrassing situation of the barrier not opening when exiting a section of toll Rd.Telling the operator on the other end of the intercom that we are a camping car sometimes is successful in getting the barrier lifted.However if you get a jobsworth like we have also occasionally had,we are told to pay the class 3 rate via credit card.If not you will be stuck there until you do.Not a pleasant experience.

Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
New, starting 2021
We have a Autosleeper Nuevo overcab, the overcab takes use up to 3.01m!!. It's our first motorhome, although we have toured extensively in Europe camping by car. Because of time constraints we need to use tolls sometimes in Europe, and last summer in the MH used our previous auto tag, as we find them very convenient to get somewhere quickly. As already stated that 1cm meant we were classed as 3, and the tag didn't work automatically. Although the extra cost is bad enough, we find the inconvenience of the passenger having to stay awake to pay also very significant. I am discussing with Autosleeper the possibility of changing the rooflight (this is what takes us over 3m), however I suspect the cost will be prohibitive. Autosleeper claim to have been previously unaware of the 3m limit!!

Does anyone know if you can get a tag for class 3 in France/Spain/Portugal?
Thanks

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
"Eeeyupp lad, carn't thar see I'm int' Cheyenne?"
Hi.
You forgot.... " sythee ?" on the end. ...Barnsley lad in a london Pub,,, " Pint of Bitter sir... Whitbread..? ". "Ay , Two slices.sythee ". The old ones still keep getting out. don't they.?......." 'appen so.". Love Yorkshire,lived in Hull for a while and was an honorary West Yorkshire Woolly back . ;)
Tea Bag

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I've got an '02 Cheyenne, no dome, drove the length of France using toll roads and was always class 2, using a Liber-t tag.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Stuart,

When you arrive at a toll and it says (or the OP. in the Booth says) Classe 3 say something like " Nous somme le camping car, Class deux SIL vous plait"

(we are a motorhome, class 2 please)

Seems to work.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Also if over 3.5t regardless of height its Class 3.
We’re 2.90 and 5250kgs Lenny and we were always charged class 2. Don’t to France anymore though.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I can only advise on Portugal the height measurement is the height of vehicle is directly above the centre of the front wheel, anything on the roof does not count, under 1.0mtr is class 1 above that class 2, I had a toyota land cruiser 1.1 high class 2, double the car rate.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Domes don’t make any difference we had auto trail Tracker with a dome and always made class 2😊
With my dome it is just over 3m, and it did get bring up Class 3 at the toll booth in this country.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I really like the roomy feel of our Autotrail Delaware but why make it 3.03m tall. The designers must know the height limit (3 metres) for some tolls and the difference in toll price is substantial. I know there are those who will say “when you pay that much for a motorhome why worry about a few £100 a year“ but I regard it as a design fault.
We have a delaware...And a class two autoroute tag. Only once been challenged. Argued the toss and she let me through:LOL::LOL:

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Fit adjustable air suspension. Lower it right down going through the laser. Then pump it back up on the other side. 😉

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We have a Autosleeper Nuevo overcab, the overcab takes use up to 3.01m!!. It's our first motorhome, although we have toured extensively in Europe camping by car. Because of time constraints we need to use tolls sometimes in Europe, and last summer in the MH used our previous auto tag, as we find them very convenient to get somewhere quickly. As already stated that 1cm meant we were classed as 3, and the tag didn't work automatically. Although the extra cost is bad enough, we find the inconvenience of the passenger having to stay awake to pay also very significant. I am discussing with Autosleeper the possibility of changing the rooflight (this is what takes us over 3m), however I suspect the cost will be prohibitive. Autosleeper claim to have been previously unaware of the 3m limit!!

Does anyone know if you can get a tag for class 3 in France/Spain/Portugal?
Thanks
Many are getting worked up on the 3.01metres compared with 3.00 metres, a difference of 10mm which in really old money is just over one third of an inch, so I’m not surprised some tolls allow as class 2 and some class 3 due to the small differences. My own has no chance at 3.19 but we try to avoid French tolls anyway unless time is short.

May 25, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
2015 PVC, now from 2020 Coachbuilt
Basic vehicle height is what counts. Here is the evidence (France):

Under Remarques:
(These) Do not affect the calculation of the total height:
- Load on the roof of a vehicle or trailer
- Accessories, such as: aerials, boxes or roof bars, flashing lights, taxi signs, satellite dishes, skylights, solar panels.

(These do) Affect the calculation of the total height:
- Items added to the base vehicle, such as: habitable cells(pods?), air conditioners, refrigeration units.

Feb 1, 2018
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Caravanning since 1987, Motorhoming since 2018
Today we are off to Chester for a couple of days and I’ve just checked the toll price of the Runcorn Bridge Mersey crossing. The weight puts us into class 3 which is £6 as opposed to £2 for sub 3.5 tonne 🙁.
A couple of years ago I crossed the Mersey Crossing in my 4t Autotrail Apache and was charged £6. On checking the charges, I found that Motorhomes, regardless of their weight, should only pay £2, so I challenged them about that. They argued that they relied on the DVLA Vehicle Category (Section J on the V5C) to determine the charging. On advice from the DVLA I then argued that this category cannot determine if the vehicle is a Motorhome and for that they need the Body type (Section D.5 on the V5C), which they did not request at that time.
The outcome was that they admitted that they were wrong, and would change the procedures to comply with the law (Their charging bands are set by an Act of Parliament).
If you are being charged £6, and on your V5C the Body type is MOTOR CARAVAN, then they should only charge you £2, and you should complain and get a refund.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Basic vehicle height is what counts. Here is the evidence (France):

Under Remarques:
(These) Do not affect the calculation of the total height:
- Load on the roof of a vehicle or trailer
- Accessories, such as: aerials, boxes or roof bars, flashing lights, taxi signs, satellite dishes, skylights, solar panels.

(These do) Affect the calculation of the total height:
- Items added to the base vehicle, such as: habitable cells(pods?), air conditioners, refrigeration units.
I believe that you have mis-read the link you gave us as the translation says this "
- Loading on the roof of a vehicle or trailer

- Accessories, such as: aerials, roof boxes or bars, flashing lights, taxi signs, satellite dishes, skylights, solar panels. Affect the calculation of the total height: - Items added to the basic vehicle, such as: habitable cells, air conditioners, refrigeration units.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
A couple of years ago I crossed the Mersey Crossing in my 4t Autotrail Apache and was charged £6. On checking the charges, I found that Motorhomes, regardless of their weight, should only pay £2, so I challenged them about that. They argued that they relied on the DVLA Vehicle Category (Section J on the V5C) to determine the charging. On advice from the DVLA I then argued that this category cannot determine if the vehicle is a Motorhome and for that they need the Body type (Section D.5 on the V5C), which they did not request at that time.
The outcome was that they admitted that they were wrong, and would change the procedures to comply with the law (Their charging bands are set by an Act of Parliament).
If you are being charged £6, and on your V5C the Body type is MOTOR CARAVAN, then they should only charge you £2, and you should complain and get a refund.
Thanks for that information 👍 I didn’t use the bridge in the end as I went round.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If the OP is talking about France, all of the tolls are operated by independent companies who look after that stretch of road, so you may find that some toll booths may categorise you as class 2, 3 or 4.
Their height limit is operated by a laser, as is number of axles.
If you're 2.99m but have a roof box or a sat dome and it takes you over, they charge you for what height you actually are, not what the manufacturer says in their brochure.
As mentioned previously, you can always press the intercom and plead your case by saying you are a camper van.
This has worked in the past for us, but on occasion, they have replied 'Non'.
We're just shy of 9m long at 3.23m heigh at 5200kgs on a tag, so should be class 4, but have been charged class 2 by some toll operators.
The alternative is to avoid the tolls.
Or take your Sat dome off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back