Autotrail Cheyenne - Toll Charges (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
SunLiving Lido M45SP
Exp
On and off for many years.
How do ‘they’ know? Is a digital check of some database? Thinking of a scenario with a 3.65t uplift on a usually 3.5t model where they are visually identical.

Maybe I am the only one who just pays whichever classe is asked for (although we usually avoid toll roads if we can).

We are under 3m but over 3500kg having up-plated to 3650 as a paper exercise. In France we were charged as Classe 2 in Italy it was hit and miss but in Switzerland we registered as a PHGV (which worked out cheaper for us than the vignette - aka "wig net" as per my sister in law).

Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Just done the complete A22 in PORTUGAL last week, 2.89mt H, 3,500Kg but uprated to 4,250Kg,Taxed as PHGV, Class 2 all the way...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
We added GlideRite rear air assist to our 3.03m high Autotrail Delaware, I assume it will now be slightly higher at the back?

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
My Apache634 has a tag attached from Sanef which I originally bought for a previous sub 3 metre in height van.Tha Apache is just slightly over 3 metres and we often get to the embarrassing situation of the barrier not opening when exiting a section of toll Rd.Telling the operator on the other end of the intercom that we are a camping car sometimes is successful in getting the barrier lifted.However if you get a jobsworth like we have also occasionally had,we are told to pay the class 3 rate via credit card.If not you will be stuck there until you do.Not a pleasant experience.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 Dynamic Line
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's so tight you could always let the tyres down a bit.
More sensible to fit full air suspension then you can lower it a few inches as you approach the barrier.:xsmile:

Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
New, starting 2021
We have a Autosleeper Nuevo overcab, the overcab takes use up to 3.01m!!. It's our first motorhome, although we have toured extensively in Europe camping by car. Because of time constraints we need to use tolls sometimes in Europe, and last summer in the MH used our previous auto tag, as we find them very convenient to get somewhere quickly. As already stated that 1cm meant we were classed as 3, and the tag didn't work automatically. Although the extra cost is bad enough, we find the inconvenience of the passenger having to stay awake to pay also very significant. I am discussing with Autosleeper the possibility of changing the rooflight (this is what takes us over 3m), however I suspect the cost will be prohibitive. Autosleeper claim to have been previously unaware of the 3m limit!!

Does anyone know if you can get a tag for class 3 in France/Spain/Portugal?
Thanks

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
"Eeeyupp lad, carn't thar see I'm int' Cheyenne?"
Hi.
You forgot.... " sythee ?" on the end. ...Barnsley lad in a london Pub,,, " Pint of Bitter sir... Whitbread..? ". "Ay , Two slices.sythee ". The old ones still keep getting out. don't they.?......." 'appen so.". Love Yorkshire,lived in Hull for a while and was an honorary West Yorkshire Woolly back . ;)
Tea Bag

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I've got an '02 Cheyenne, no dome, drove the length of France using toll roads and was always class 2, using a Liber-t tag.

Funsters who are viewing this thread