LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
My Comanche (2013 model) on board charger has stopped charging when on EHU. I have checked all the visible fuses but there is no charge going into the batteries. I have had the same problem previously and the dealer said it was a loose connection in the rear of the unit. The dealer cannot look at it until the end of September ! None of the local dealers can fit it in either, but I need to use the van now (mother seriously ill in Cumbria and hotels are expensive). My question is, how easy is it to remove the unit from its housing to at least check the connections on the rear. Is it just a case of undo the 4 screws and ease the unit out? Would this negate the warranty? It is an EC500 unit. The batteries will charge when the engine is running. The other question is, can I just run on EHU without discharging the batteries? If so what do I need to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Give Sargent tech support a call, I forget what my problem was, but I remember their helpful tech talked me through a simple detect and repair job which necessitated me removing a similar panel.

I should say though that this was about 10 years ago and elf and safety and similar procedures might mean they cannot help to that extent today. Still worth a call though :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You could try calling Johns Cross. Glenn there knows his onions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thinking about it we had a similar problem with our autotrail.

This might not help but have a look in the leisure battery compartment. To the left of the battery are two red leads, one coming from the van, the other from the LB. Just check they are connected properly.

Ours had worked loose.

Good luck.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Remove the 4 screws and gently slide out the charger there is sufficient cable to pull it right out and allow it to hang without support. All connections can then be checked.

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks guys, I am going to try all the suggestions, however I have decided to hot tail it up there and use a hotel for a few days. I will spend some time on it after the weekend when I get back. I will let you know if I manage to solve it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hope your Mum is ok.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Your dealer can't look at it until the end of September!!! What sort of dealer is he, he's taking the proverbial. What's a couple of minutes of his time going to do to his booked up schedule. Your rig has cost an arm and a leg and you have been fobbed off.:Angry::Angry:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Picture attached to give you a better idea

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
As has been mentioned, give Sargent a ring on their help line quoting your Autotrail build number, its possible that the charging unit is faulty and they will send a replacement overnight free of charge. All you will have to do is change over the connectors, you can't mix them up because every one of them is a different shape. Put the old one back in the packaging, ring them up and a courier will call and collect it. Their customer after sales service is simply the best. I have had three replacement units exchanged in a similar manner.

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Rolandrat, I will do that when I get back. They may be able to talk me through a simple fault finding. Just arrived in Cumbria but hope to get back early next week.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Broken Link Removed

too complicated by far....old models never suffered electronics failure 'cos they were simplicity...and reliability... itself.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
after spending that sort of money,i think I would have camped outside the dealership and refused to move until he had sorted it out!!!!

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Picture attached to give you a better idea

Just took the unit out and found two faults, one wire (neutral) hanging out of one of the connectors, so recrimped it back in position, and the connector on the far right of the photo was really loose that when touching it very lightly you could see arcing and hear a relay clicking away. After crimping the loose wire back into the connector I then secured the second connector in position by using a couple of small cable ties. The connectors used are not very good and look a bit iffy. Anyway, all back in place and working as it should do. Thanks for the suggestions and help.....Derek

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back