splinter

Free Member
Mar 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
autotrail dakota
Exp
20+ years
Yes mine has finale given up not bad for 7 years old and it has only been repaired 4 times.Any way have spoken to les Evans the autotrail repair agent and he fits a clarion unit for wait for it £1150. Plus fitting . I have been in conversation with xtrons and their unit is £254 plus the extras dab £50 ,TV tuner £100 . But why can't you forget the TV in the radio and just feed the monitor with a free view tuner ?would it work.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes mine has finale given up not bad for 7 years old and it has only been repaired 4 times.Any way have spoken to les Evans the autotrail repair agent and he fits a clarion unit for wait for it £1150. Plus fitting . I have been in conversation with xtrons and their unit is £254 plus the extras dab £50 ,TV tuner £100 . But why can't you forget the TV in the radio and just feed the monitor with a free view tuner ?would it work.
We've got a fully integrated Xtrons unit fitted after our 12ele \ 13ele gave up the ghost.
You'll probably find the TV tuner they're suggesting will be an external (to the head unit) freeview tuner like one of these.

ps w2f

OP
OP
S

splinter

Free Member
Mar 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
autotrail dakota
Exp
20+ years
Yes they suggested the fv006. which tv tuner did you use.? is the xtrons unit any good.and did you consider trying to feed just the monitor and forget about the radio/satnav ps the screen to small to watch anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes they suggested the fv006. which tv tuner did you use.? is the xtrons unit any good.and did you consider trying to feed just the monitor and forget about the radio/satnav ps the screen to small to watch anyway
Our unit is a TD696ADS and the tuner is in built to the head unit.
Nothing really to compare it against apart from the original 12ELE and replacement 13ELE's and, if truth be told, an ear trumpet out the window would have been better than those!
We still get the occasional radio signal drop out but that's more to do with the quality \ location of the aerial than the head unit. The Xtrons is like night and day to the OEM unit.
Assuming you're talking about the drop down monitor between \ above the cab seats (if that's what you've got) I think a standalone tuner (not connected to the head unit) would work in terms of video however, if your monitor is the same as ours, there's no speakers in the monitor with the audio amplified through the head unit to the cab \ hab speakers.
If you're not interested in the sat nav functionality you could probably fit a cheap and cheerful radio \ CD \ DVD \ USB (if required) head unit ensuring it has an external \ aux stereo audio input option for an external TV tuner. You might need to watch out for any delay \ dwell getting the video and audio out of sync though.

ps be aware you'll also need to get a fascia panel and a couple of other bits and pieces to fit a replacement unit.

OP
OP
S

splinter

Free Member
Mar 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
autotrail dakota
Exp
20+ years
many thanks for your quick reply. xtrons have suggested a PA78DTFIPL which is made for the fiat and comes with a facia then a fv006 tuner for the tv but i was also going to fit a dab unit (usbdab01).its just finding some where to put it all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
many thanks for your quick reply. xtrons have suggested a PA78DTFIPL which is made for the fiat and comes with a facia then a fv006 tuner for the tv but i was also going to fit a dab unit (usbdab01).its just finding some where to put it all.

If you're going to use bluetooth on the head unit to give you hands free mobile calls you'll need a microphone ready to hand when you're fitting as it will (probably) plug into the back. We've got something similar to this -

You might also need an adapter like this . We did but it might have been for the TV aerial input which you won't have with an external tuner.

If the unit has rear USB cable connection you'll need to think where \ how you're going to route this to give easy access to the cabled sockets.

As you say, space might be at a premium around \ behind the head unit so check this before getting the add-ons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back