Autotrail…. Are they really that bad…? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If a van is a few years old and leaks it's as much the owners fault as the makers. You should check your windows, skylights and body seams regularly. Some of the very best makes might be in large panels or roof which can flex a lot and degrade the sealant. Thats not to say that sealants won't last 20 years, because they will, but seals need to be 100% and even the best can fail, water only needs the tiniest access point, it can get in and travel, eventually causing structural damage if you have wood in the build.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Where is it please as we are looking for an auto with similar layout to our Chieftain.
Thanks
Joe

<Broken link removed>

It needed a good clean and a few little tidy ups but it was dry inside… it was smaller inside in real life unlike the pictures and I just felt hemmed in… couldn’t put my finger on it but it just wasn’t for me…

I suspect the pictures on eBay was from when he bought it….🤔

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
I am a newbie ex caravaner for 40years
I’ve been looking at a replacement motorhome for some time now and it’s getting harder and harder at the moment and looks like it’s going to continue that way for some time…

now I’ve seen a few Autotrails come along that have the layout I like and seem to be a good price (under £30k)
I know they have a bad reputation but there are a lot driving around so they can’t be all bad can they..? I’m very good at diy and mechanics and could probably solve and improve any failings they have so if I got a fairly good one to begin with I’ll hopefully be able to keep it that way with my skills…. Most have been in the 2000-2010 year bracket…
Most are Mercedes Autos and some 3ltr Fiat Autos…

honest opinions please and I don’t mind a few p*** takes…😉
One word of caution, make sure that it has a decent payload as some of the models are lacking.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We had an Apache previously and had a few minor issues but overall was a good van, we now own a 2013 (Friday afternoon build) Savannah which we have had a couple of years. Unfortunately we have had a fair few problems with this van (with both the base vehicle & body) and it is currently back in the workshop, issues include: Base - new clutch, new airbag ECU, new leaf springs, new starter motor. Body - de-laminated floor, leaking window, damp in side locker and garage, knackered entertainments system, knackered Truma heating system, cupboard doors falling off. Other than that a great van:lipssealed::swear::swear:

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
My Apache634 is 4 years old now and has been excellent.Build quality is good as are most of the components used in putting it together.Would definitely look at Autotrail again when the time is right to replace.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
2 hours ago i was told our Autotrail Imala has damp:eek: £3.500 to fix it as the HAB check was not done in Feb therefore the warranty is kaput.
We were trapped in Dubai in Feb March and April so could/did not get the HAB check done.
Test was carried out at Don Amott as an assessment for the part exchange on a new van ordered.
The van is 3 years old. Just had it's 1st MOT.
So now have to consider what to do.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
2 hours ago i was told our Autotrail Imala has damp:eek: £3.500 to fix it as the HAB check was not done in Feb therefore the warranty is kaput.
We were trapped in Dubai in Feb March and April so could/did not get the HAB check done.
Test was carried out at Don Amott as an assessment for the part exchange on a new van ordered.
What were the travel limitations in UK during those months?
Were DA actually open during these months for habitation services?
Given the pandemic situation I'd be challenging AT on warranty being voided during these times.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
What were the travel limitations in UK during those months?
Were DA actually open during these months for habitation services?
Given the pandemic situation I'd be challenging AT on warranty being voided during these times.
We were not in the country so really don't know what the travel restrictions were.
The van was new sold by Don Amott to a copper, we bought off the copper June last year.

OllyHughes

Free Member
Feb 15, 2010
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 584
Exp
Since 1992
Mine comes from a different era, it's 24 years old, I've owned it for 21 of those years, it's a 2.5 TD, very old technology, it's coming up to 100k miles hardly put a foot wrong in all that time. I have replaced parts that I thought needed replacing before they failed, it's taken me all over Europe as well as the UK. I love the layout, the fittings are in good order as is the upholstery. It has 101 modifications to make life more comfortable, it's old fashioned in many ways, but then so am I. All in all I haven't a bad word for my Auto Trail

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We were not in the country so really don't know what the travel restrictions were.
The van was new sold by Don Amott to a copper, we bought off the copper June last year.
Not really sure what the restrictions were in England (we're in Scotland) but I'm fairly sure there were travel restrictions that would have precluded you from being able to take it for hab service.
In addition, a number of dealers workshops were closed during lockdown so how could you physically get this done if they were.
I could be wrong (usually am!) but did you have a delay in getting your hab service done at DA, Gerry lorger?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Try selling it to Just smiffy

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We were trapped in Dubai in Feb March and April so could/did not get the HAB check done
That sounds like shabby treatment, must be worth challenging it

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Might be worth getting a second opinion on the damp issues!

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017

It doesn't say much for the supplying dealer who in effect is saying because you were unable to bring your van in February you are going to have to pay £3,500 . Presumably the damp problem would have been discovered in February and fixed under warranty . In your position I would be contacting Autotrail and explain the situation you found yourself in, namely trapped in Dubai, and that on your return you decided to buy another Autotrail [ cannot remember if it is an Autotrail you are buying] and the damp was discovered . Even if it is not a new Autotrail you are buying with all the travel restrictions in place many manufacturers were prepared to 'stretch' habitation service requirements . Logically you have not neglected to maintain their product you have merely delayed by a few weeks their shoddy workmanship /build quality being discovered. If you do have to take the hit then this is an ideal example to quote to anyone considering ignoring annual habitation checks and anyone considering buying an Autotrail motorhome.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Even if it was possible to get the work done under warranty, with all their normal pay rate work etc how many months do you think it would be before the dealer gets around to doing the low paying warranty work. Probably be next year.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not really sure what the restrictions were in England (we're in Scotland) but I'm fairly sure there were travel restrictions that would have precluded you from being able to take it for hab service.
In addition, a number of dealers workshops were closed during lockdown so how could you physically get this done if they were.
I could be wrong (usually am!) but did you have a delay in getting your hab service done at DA, Gerry lorger?
We bought our van new last February and where due to pick it up in March but due to lockdowns we didn't get it until June, as it was a 2019 build Knaus say it must have its first service no later than December 2020, this wasn't possible again due to lockdowns. I contacted DA who told me there was a 2 month buffer so I had until the end of Feb, again we couldn't get it done by then so the buffer was extended for 6 months by Knaus not DA. Anytime I've spoken to DA they have been very helpful and told me know matter what they would make sure it was done to keep the warranty, I actually got the service done by a Mobile approved fitter in Hamilton. I still have some very minor warranty jobs to be done and I'm booked in at DA on the 4/6/21, its only the Knaus damp check that needed done before the end of 2020 the rest is the normal year.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
100% this

bobnick just out of interest where was the damp, ? my imala passed habcheck 3 weeks ago but Id beinterested where yours started
2 main areas, 1 passenger side around the rear storage both at the back and side, 2 drivers side panels below and around the sofa seat area.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The cynic in me thinks this is convenient at trade in time, when I traded my Elddis in to Freedom motorhome in Guildford they tried similar. I had spoke to them on the phone regarding a year old Adria so they drove it to Dumfries for me to view and done a damp check on my van, they said they would honour the price they gave over the phone. When I got down there they went to check my van again and came back in and very dramatically told the salesman to stop as my van was rotten, they tried to bargain with me for about 30 seconds as I had reached the exit door by this time. 5 days later they had my old van advertised as sold, I can only assume they worked day and night to turn it around:):)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The cynic in me thinks this is convenient at trade in time, when I traded my Elddis in to Freedom motorhome in Guildford they tried similar. I had spoke to them on the phone regarding a year old Adria so they drove it to Dumfries for me to view and done a damp check on my van, they said they would honour the price they gave over the phone. When I got down there they went to check my van again and came back in and very dramatically told the salesman to stop as my van was rotten, they tried to bargain with me for about 30 seconds as I had reached the exit door by this time. 5 days later they had my old van advertised as sold, I can only assume they worked day and night to turn it around:):)
Believe me that thought had crossed my mind. I even called my local MH service center A&E, unfortunately they couldn't do a check until mid to 3rd week of June.

CDBaines

Free Member
Sep 6, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Since July 2020
Hi, we have an Apache 700. Bought secondhand lash year and its superb. I read all the negative reviews and chose to ignore them. It was the correct decision. Ensure you get what you want and don’t worry about some of the negative reviews.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have owned 2 the first one was so good 2008 we ordered a new Chieftain 2010 had lots of silly problems and one bad water leak in the boot, we bought from a shite dealer so crap service so got rid,
Some years later bought a new Hymer similar situation but a lot more money,
But if buying second hand good value for money an some great layouts.🙂

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Believe me that thought had crossed my mind. I even called my local MH service center A&E, unfortunately they couldn't do a check until mid to 3rd week of June.
Have they got it or you? get yoursel a decent damp meter.

I flogged a van once to we buy any van ( I know but i wanted some quick cash when younger)
they gave me the damp crap, right next to the toilet, I checked myself with his meter and it was barely above the what was considered norm, so I called him out on it and he was a bit sheepish.
2 weeks later I flogged it to a guy who brought his own hab check guy that confirmed all was well.

You gotta watch these used dealers whether cars or anything. They are almost as bad as dodgy scaffold guys Bob...aherm... ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back