nerdycross

Free Member
Aug 30, 2012
devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am now a proud owner of a Autosleeper Talisman on a 2.8 Peugeot chassis and I am wanting to make a tow bar for it.
I have access to a welding shop and want to fabricate my own,Is there any body out there with a drawing or maybe some photos,of the tow bar for the Talisman or Excutive.

Any help would be great :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you intend making your own then make a mental image of what you want.

then get underneath and take some measurements.

If your van is on an Alko Kober chassis then on no account start drilling holes in it, use the pre punched holes only as it's a galvanised chassis and will rot faster than an apple on wet grass where its been drilled.

I made my own and it looked OK on my Swift Kontiki

OP
OP
N

nerdycross

Free Member
Aug 30, 2012
devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you intend making your own then make a mental image of what you want.

then get underneath and take some measurements.

If your van is on an Alko Kober chassis then on no account start drilling holes in it, use the pre punched holes only as it's a galvanised chassis and will rot faster than an apple on wet grass where its been drilled.

I made my own and it looked OK on my Swift Kontiki

Ok,
Thank you for the advice I will get my tape measure out and make a start this weekend.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi Nerdycross

I am not a 100% sure of this but I think that tow bars fitted to motorhomes registered after 1st April 2012 have to be EC approved it may be worth checking this out before starting work on the tow bar , also I think the tow bar is now part of the MOT test which checks fixings and for corrosion.

Cheers John:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Nerdycross

I am not a 100% sure of this but I think that tow bars fitted to motorhomes registered after 1st April 2012 have to be EC approved it may be worth checking this out before starting work on the tow bar , also I think the tow bar is now part of the MOT test which checks fixings and for corrosion.

Cheers John:thumb:

This is true but as the OP's motorhome has a 2.8 engine it must be pre 2007 so this doesn't apply.

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok,
Thank you for the advice I will get my tape measure out and make a start this weekend.
:thumb:
took me a few hours of careful measuring and sketching then ripping the lot up and doing it all again, and again, and again :Sad:

a couple of longish lengths of 2" x 1" wood helped to find the clearances need for the rear skirt and a 'protractor' ( 2 short bits and a wood screw :RollEyes:) to find the angles.

I used 60mm box for the bar and side rails and 10mm plates for the mounts.
M12 bolts to fix to chassis using original Alko holes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back