autosleeper puzzle (1 Viewer)

D

dru

Deleted User
Hi guys, have purchased an autosleeper campervan (the Capri was really too big for us) which has got me trying to answer some questions regarding it. The base vehicle is a 1994 T4 with the 2.4L diesel engine, five speed manual box - now for the accomodation part - It never had a 240 volt hookup although a hookup had been retro fitted (straight in off the mains with no protection to a single socket - nasty). I have fitted a new consumer unit supplying lights and sockets. There was a 12volt lighting system fitted working from a 12v battery but no split charging facility ( again now fitted). There is only facilities for a porta potti in the toilet (I would have thought a cassette toilet would have been fitted) and the windows are single glaze glass - again I would have thought plastic dbl glazing would be fitted. I am beginning to think the accomodation unit is much older than the base 1994 vehicle. Any comment, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated, dru.
p.s. where is the spare wheel supposed to be kept? thanks.
photo of vehicle:
herbieauto.jpg

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome, nice looking van you got there but sorry cant help you with questions but no doubt some oen will be along.

Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Dru

It's like no Autosleeoer I've ever seen, my first thoughts were that it's either a very good home conversion or a one off ..

I agree with your assessment, vans of that age would generally have double glazed acrylic windows, a charging system and EHU .. so I lean toward a home conversion ..

Good luck with the improvements .. it's a good base vehicle and the coachwork looks in good nic

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

reader

Deleted User
To me it looks like a Clubman, but they all had the green, rather than they grey section and they all had toilets and mains hook ups as far as I am aware. The Clubman also had sliding side windows.
The colour scheme and luton look like the older Talisman.
Give Charles Trevelyan a ring at the Service Centre at Willesey and tell him about the van. Charles has a fantastic memory for the vans they produced and is better than a computer for info. Failing that contact the owners club, details on
Link Removed
An interesting van !! please keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dru

Deleted User
Autosleeper puzzle reply

Thanks guys for help - I will get in touch with Charles Trevelyan at the Service Centre at Willesey and see if I can get more info. It is fitted with a Zig CP400 distribution unit which may help to date it - also fitted with sliding side windows. Still don't know where the spare wheel goes - wasn't till I got home found it didnt have one!! Rgds Drew. P.S. also a radio ham GM4SCP

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Hi guys, have purchased an autosleeper campervan (the Capri was really too big for us) which has got me trying to answer some questions regarding it. The base vehicle is a 1994 T4 with the 2.4L diesel engine, five speed manual box - now for the accomodation part - It never had a 240 volt hookup although a hookup had been retro fitted (straight in off the mains with no protection to a single socket - nasty). I have fitted a new consumer unit supplying lights and sockets. There was a 12volt lighting system fitted working from a 12v battery but no split charging facility ( again now fitted). There is only facilities for a porta potti in the toilet (I would have thought a cassette toilet would have been fitted) and the windows are single glaze glass - again I would have thought plastic dbl glazing would be fitted. I am beginning to think the accomodation unit is much older than the base 1994 vehicle. Any comment, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated, dru.
p.s. where is the spare wheel supposed to be kept? thanks.
photo of vehicle:
herbieauto.jpg

Hi
We had a clubman. The spare wheel as far as we can remember was under the rear overhang. The toilet/shower cubicle was opposite the habitation door. However your vehicle looks rather different than I remember ours. The luton area looks strangely different as well. What is the interior layout like? Can you post a picture? There was also a slider window behind the offside settee & all habitation area windows were double glazed.

Whatever make it is or selfbuild I am sure you are going to enjoy gettingit to how you want it.

Motorhomer

R

reader

Deleted User
Will listen out for you Dru, when north of the border its MM0DWQ

OP
OP
D

dru

Deleted User
Hi
We had a clubman. The spare wheel as far as we can remember was under the rear overhang. The toilet/shower cubicle was opposite the habitation door. However your vehicle looks rather different than I remember ours. The luton area looks strangely different as well. What is the interior layout like? Can you post a picture? There was also a slider window behind the offside settee & all habitation area windows were double glazed.

Whatever make it is or selfbuild I am sure you are going to enjoy gettingit to how you want it.
Managed I think to add some photos thanks, Drew
Motorhomer
herbieint4.jpg

http://
herbieint.jpg
[/IMG]
herbint2.jpg

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Look in the glove compartment, Autosleeper stuck a lable inside with their job number on it for the warrantee work. The fittings, furniture and lay-out look like Autosleeper. It looks very close to my old SV 100 Autosleeper which was on a 1985 Bedford CF chassis. Could be Talisman or Clubman
Nozzel

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Hi,
Family voted 6 out of 6 for its an Autosleeper SV100 on a VW chassis. We all remember 6 great years of weekends/holidays touring UK and Europe.
Nozzel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have just done a search on auto trader site and come up with about 6 vans but this one is more or less same age with interior piccys to compare.
Link Removed
TERRY
VERY BOTTOM ONE

G

george_hook

Deleted User
Your Van

Hi Dru, the GRP body is definitely an Autosleepers Talisman II most of the interior looks original from the pics, but there have been some modifications. The original vehicle had an AS badged Control Panel above the 'wine cabinet' immediately to the left of the rear entrance door, inbuilt charger for the batteries and a 240v consumer unit in the cupboard underneath the wine cabinet.
The base vehicle appears later than the GRP body and guess that someone has grafted the GRP body with most of the original fittings onto a later base vehicle.

Regards

George

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have you HPIed the vehicle. I would suspect an old body grafted on tp a more recent. Search for build numbers around the body.

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi,
It looks to me like the Autosleeper SV100 which was only ever made on the Bedford CF cab & chassis.
Maybe its been a swop over in the past :Eeek:

Doh!!! Message to self please read all answers before posting

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Follow this link for pics of a sv100 on bedford cf

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they look the same body to me......looks like the body has been very well stitched onto a newer chassis.

if you look just behind the door on yours there is an extra panel between body and cab that isnt there on the other one to extend the body to the narrower VW cab.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dru

Deleted User
Thanks, Pappajohn, well spotted!! you certainly know your way around Autosleepers, thanks a lot, Dru

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, Pappajohn, well spotted!! you certainly know your way around Autosleepers, thanks a lot, Dru

never had anything to do with them mate....just a little close scrutiny of the two photo's.:Eeek:
i'm amazed it fitted so neatly though.:thumb:

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back