Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My van has thus feature, where if the temperature inside falls below 4' C, (I think), the water in the boiler is dumped. It's linked to a thermostat near the cab.
If the water heater is on, will that prevent the valve opening regardless of the temperature, or if not, does the water heater automatically switch off when the water is dumped?
TIA.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Our latest van has this feature, the dump valve is next to the water filler in a compartment. When the heating is on it actually feeds hot air via a pipe to the valve. If the water is dumped from the heater, it will not ignite again until the valve is closed manually and the tank re-filled.
Hope this is of some help.

Keith :cool:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you switch the boiler on, it wont dump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think it depends on which heating system you have.

The modern Truma Combi systems have no direct connection between the dump valve & the heater/boiler as standard. They can be used to heat the van whether or not there is any water in the boiler, so no, they don't stop working when the water is dumped (but obviously you won't get any hot water either!).

As standard, they depend on the heater being on & warming the air in the van enough to prevent the valve opening. You can get a valve heater that draws power from the boiler electrical supply so that as soon as the heater is on, it warms the valve up enough to keep it closed, even if the rest of the air in the van is still below 4 degrees.

In my van, the valve is in the bottom of the boiler compartment. I think that is partly so that it will come up to temperature quite quickly once the heater is on, but mostly because it's just a handy place to open the pipe to drain the boiler. The heater is linked to the thermostat, but the dump valve isn't - it just reacts to the temperature around it.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Dont forget to fit a peg for the summer, stops the wife accidently dumping boiler when searching in compartment.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can change it for a manual one as long as you remember that it won't dump on its own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back