Automatic relocking doors on Welcome 630 (1 Viewer)

Rob S

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
Hi all
I'm new here, mainly because I've not had a motorhome before :D.
But now I'm the proud owner of a Chausson 630 welcome and very nice it is too. But the central locking of all three doors is worrying me.
When I open the doors remotely using the key fob (either the general "open all doors" button or just the "open the habitation door" button) all the doors open and I get in through the habitation door - so far so good. About a minute later all the doors relock themselves whilst I'm inside. The only way to prevent this it seems is to open one of the front van doors. I queried this with the dealer and he said it's working correctly. But it seems very odd that I could get into the van through the habitation door, put my keys on the table and go outside to do something, and my keys would get locked inside :mad:.
Am I being daft or is the dealer telling porkies :confused:?
Any help would be appreciated.
Rob

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had the same on an autosleeper malvern on a Mercedes base.
Got locked out first day i had it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That can't be right, ours only locks the doors once we start driving and reach about 15mph or thereabouts.
It is possible the system is not picking up a door has been opened. A lot of vehicles will lock themselves if they are unlocked but no door is opened within a set time.
Might be worth trying a few tests.
What happens if you unlock the vehicle but don't get in?
What happens if you unlock it then open and close one of the front doors?
You might be able to disable it with a switch on the driver's door. This won't be ideal but might avoid you getting locked out until it is fixed. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Rob S

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
Hope you still had your spare key on you theonlysue. Your plight does make mine seem a little easier, and I did smile - sorry.

Thanks for the info and suggestions DBK. Using the key fob remotely I just tried:
  • unlocking just the habitation door but not opening the door - door relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking all doors but not opening any doors - doors relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking just the habitation door and opening and closing the door - door relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking all doors but opening and closing the habitation door - doors relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking all doors but opening and closing the drivers door - doors don't relock
At the moment the workaround is to open and close a cab door from inside.

The dealer suggested the relocking is something to do with the courtesy light operation but the light comes on when the "unlock" happens and stays on when any door is opened; it goes out after 25 seconds and if the doors are going to relock, they do so after about 45 seconds.

Its a Ford Transit by the way.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's common on cars, if you don't open a door they re-lock. The hab door is not connected to the chassis alarm system so the base vehicle doesn't know a door has been opened.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
It's common on cars, if you don't open a door they re-lock. The hab door is not connected to the chassis alarm system so the base vehicle doesn't know a door has been opened.
That is exactly how it's meant to be, as you say, and I suspect most converters leave it that way. Our Autotrail 2015 appears to have some modification as the habitation door has same affect as cab doors. Can't see anything on wiring schematic to show a modification.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
One of the workers at the dealers had to get into the external locker under the bed and push it up with her legs!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hope you still had your spare key on you theonlysue. Your plight does make mine seem a little easier, and I did smile - sorry.

Thanks for the info and suggestions DBK. Using the key fob remotely I just tried:
  • unlocking just the habitation door but not opening the door - door relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking all doors but not opening any doors - doors relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking just the habitation door and opening and closing the door - door relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking all doors but opening and closing the habitation door - doors relocked after 45 seconds
  • unlocking all doors but opening and closing the drivers door - doors don't relock
At the moment the workaround is to open and close a cab door from inside.

The dealer suggested the relocking is something to do with the courtesy light operation but the light comes on when the "unlock" happens and stays on when any door is opened; it goes out after 25 seconds and if the doors are going to relock, they do so after about 45 seconds.

Its a Ford Transit by the way.
Oh well, given it's a Transit if you do get locked out you should be able to get back in easily. :)
But if that's the way it's supposed to be...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As a safety/convenience measure, get a plain key cut and hide it somewhere on the external bodywork.
You used to be able to buy magnetic plastic boxes for this very purpose....no, not magnetised plastic...you know what I mean. :D

At least you will be able to unlock manually if you get locked out.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

That is exactly how it's meant to be, as you say, and I suspect most converters leave it that way.

What they said .... our car does the same. The motorhome has a different lock on the hab door but the cab doors relock if they haven't been opened after unlocking.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check to see if there's a sensor for the hab door that's not contacting/uncontacting when you open it.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I don't profess to be an expert on electrics but further study of our alarm system suggests to me that the installers have fitted a microswitch within the habitation door and this lights the cab courtesy light thus fooling the system when habitation door opened.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If you go to the menue on the trip computer there are about 3 optiond for configuring the locking which are user selectable..
You could try changing them one at a time and see what different results you get .
I locked myself out of my 620 in the same manner you described above ...
And was fortunate to have left a skylight open enough to get back in.
I havent got to the bottom of the various locking options on the dash, basically because i havent spent the time checking to see what difference they make... , but i always carry the habitation key and my growler alarm fob seperately from the vehicle key fob now.. its always around my neck on a chord :LOL:
Andy.

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
As the soon to be owner of a 627GA SE, this thread has probably saved me from a lock out! I say probably as knowing something is not the same as remembering it!

Our current best of 510 doesn't do this on a ducato base.

Thank s for the tip!

OP
OP
R

Rob S

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for all your responses from which I’ve deduced that Chausson seem to have avoided the cost of a sensor/ switch to monitor/react to the opening of the habitation door.
I’ll probably go down the joka250 route of getting a door switch wired in to the courtesy light circuit for the hab door. In the meantime I’ll get the auto lock function disabled - I’ve been told it’s possible, but not from the vehicle menus, so a dealer will have to do it.
I’ll also get a plain key cut (good idea pappajohn) but need to source a plain key as the key cutters in these parts will only supply a full on transponder enabled key.
But we’ll get by . Off to Norfolk for the first BBQ weekend of the year ☁️⛅☀️

Vyvyan 59

Free Member
Feb 11, 2021
port talbot, south wales.
Funster No
MH
fiat chausson 627GA
Exp
new 2021 motorhome owner, "newbie".
As the soon to be owner of a 627GA SE, this thread has probably saved me from a lock out! I say probably as knowing something is not the same as remembering it!

Our current best of 510 doesn't do this on a ducato base.

Thank s for the tip!
We have also a new 627GA and the central locking on key fob don't seem to be working. when locking you don't hear anything locking, yet wing mirrors do flash. On dashboard, there is a button to lock doors internally, but that also don't seem to work. Do you have any suggestions please???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have also a new 627GA and the central locking on key fob don't seem to be working. when locking you don't hear anything locking, yet wing mirrors do flash. On dashboard, there is a button to lock doors internally, but that also don't seem to work. Do you have any suggestions please???
It may depend on which version of the MH you have as some may not have central locking, is the issue with the dash button just for the hab door or for cab doors too?

Vyvyan 59

Free Member
Feb 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
fiat chausson 627GA
Exp
thank you for your reply. although it is a 2021 van and passenger door has not got a keyhole to lock or unlock from outside, I assume that it is central locking??

Vyvyan 59

Free Member
Feb 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
fiat chausson 627GA
Exp
thank you for your reply. although it is a 2021 van and passenger door has not got a keyhole to lock or unlock from outside, I assume that it is central locking??
also on dashboard locking button does not work??

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I recall there was a thread about something similar, maybe this is if some help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back