Automatic or manual, your thoughts please (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think you should choose based on layout etc as others have said.

The only time I wouldn't want an automatic is when trying to get off pitches at Peterborough rally or other waterlogged sites. The manual just gives you that fine clutch control that you can't get in an automatic unless I am doing it wrong. Also I don't believe you can bump start an automatic? Not that I have ever needed to do this :p

So unless you are looking to park on grass a lot during the winter/spring I wouldn't worry about the type.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
When we were looking for our MH, we did the opposite and dismissed any that were manual!

The reasoning behind this is that most of the time we will be driving unfamiliar areas with different road protocols and so on, and we figured that think about what gear your in, hill/slope starts and so on was an additional complication that we could do without.

We opted for a Mercedes based MH, with the 2.2 Diesel engine upgraded to 163 BHP mated to the 7 speed auto.

So far we are very happy, but it does seem odd that you can't override the gear selection like you can in a Mercedes auto car. Thinking here of coming down mountain passes where you might want to lock the gearbox into 2 or3 to avoid riding the brakes for miles.

As regards getting off slippery surfaces, this can often be overcome by gentle application of the brake by the left foot, with helps slow down the spinning wheel(s). Hard to explain but if you get into the situation, you'll get the "feel" for doing it.

Not knocking manuals, we have manual on our cars now, but for the MH we definitely had a preference for auto.

Good luck with the search

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have had auto cars for the last 10 years and love them for how easy and stress free
they are to drive.So when we decided to change our motorhome last year we wanted an
automatic one.We have had our new one to us for nine months now and are so pleased
we chose an auto.We have a Fiat 3.0L as we have a 5T tag axle,and average 25 mpg,and have
had upto 28mpg when driving it steady.
We would never go back to a manual now!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The old auto boxes used to give abysmal fuel figures because they were three speed and the engine was torquing all the time to keep at the right speeds, this only kept the oil swirling around heating it up. Modern Autos are at least five and upto 8 or 9 speeds which allow the torque convertor to lock up really quickly and not waste fuel. I am going for a Mercedes 7 G on my next one.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We are off to Spain in ten days on our annual four plus weeks away from the uk winter, around 2000 mile round trip, will certainly cost a bit but there are no shops in heaven :thumb::winky:

95% motorway driving ...Manual in 6th gear most of the way. auto for a city car sure...unnecessary in a motorhome, more weight, more money, something else to go wrong.............pointless:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
95% motorway driving ...Manual in 6th gear most of the way. auto for a city car sure...unnecessary in a motorhome, more weight, more money, something else to go wrong.............pointless:)

That was two years ago with the RV Eddie but still like the auto, got the Fiat one now so a semi manual option which is handy (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
rong. Also I don't believe you can bump start an automatic? Not that I have ever needed to do this :p
Should never bump start any vehicle with a CAT, if unburnt fuel gets into the CAT it can wreck it- very expensive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have a 150 bhp Fiat with Comformatic box, would never go back to a manual, makes life so pleasant, a god send when you end up in a French/Spanish/Greek village with only a couple of inches to spare each side of the van gear changing while you panic is one less thing to worry about.

Generally vans with Comformatic boxes are more economical than manuals as the gearchange is optimised.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As the OP was over 2 years ago :eek:... What did @Coolbeanz get? Manual or Auto ???
Oh dear we all need to go to Specsavers.
Perhaps @Jim needs to put a flashing warning on any old thread we try to reply to.:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Some of us are alert, infact the wife calls me a lert amongst other things :eek:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
When we were looking for our MH, we did the opposite and dismissed any that were manual!

The reasoning behind this is that most of the time we will be driving unfamiliar areas with different road protocols and so on, and we figured that think about what gear your in, hill/slope starts and so on was an additional complication that we could do without.

We opted for a Mercedes based MH, with the 2.2 Diesel engine upgraded to 163 BHP mated to the 7 speed auto.

So far we are very happy, but it does seem odd that you can't override the gear selection like you can in a Mercedes auto car. Thinking here of coming down mountain passes where you might want to lock the gearbox into 2 or3 to avoid riding the brakes for miles.

As regards getting off slippery surfaces, this can often be overcome by gentle application of the brake by the left foot, with helps slow down the spinning wheel(s). Hard to explain but if you get into the situation, you'll get the "feel" for doing it.

Not knocking manuals, we have manual on our cars now, but for the MH we definitely had a preference for auto.

Good luck with the search
I agree with you and your assessment entirely.I went for another manual in the end because of a vast difference on cost between model years. The difference between this FIAT chassis and my previous one is that this new one has FIAT's 2 second hill/incline delay system, which makes the hill start system of a manual transmission a breeze. I would recommend it to anybody who is able to specify their cab equipment.
I would also make it mandatory to fit one on a French persons vehicle!!!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I agree with you and your assessment entirely.I went for another manual in the end because of a vast difference on cost between model years. The difference between this FIAT chassis and my previous one is that this new one has FIAT's 2 second hill/incline delay system, which makes the hill start system of a manual transmission a breeze. I would recommend it to anybody who is able to specify their cab equipment.
I would also make it mandatory to fit one on a French persons vehicle!!!!
Update !!! Ford to offer auto option on the tranny base vehicle chassis http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/blog/36726-euro-6-compliant-engines-and-all-wheel-drivetrains-show-the-way-at-cv-show?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=ENews Bulletins&utm_content=PRAM Enews bulletin (28.4.16)::Read_3_1&utm_source=20160428

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
@Coolbeanz
What did you get in the end???
We bought a Hymer B774 which we absolutely love. The only 2 things we would change is it is a manual gearbox and would definitely try and get automatic next time and the water heater only runs on gas so would be nice to have one that can run on electric too.

N

Nobody

Deleted User
We are still actively seeking a replacement motorhome and a few nice looking ones we have immediately dismissed on discovering they are automatic. The main reason being that automatics tend to be more fuel hungry and motorhomes are juicy enough already. Am I right? Or is there not a great difference. Would some of you give me your mpg and whether your are automatic or manual? We are looking at 3.5 to 4T vehicles. I would hate to think we are dismissing perfectly good candidates for the wrong reason :ROFLMAO:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We bought a Hymer B774 which we absolutely love. The only 2 things we would change is it is a manual gearbox and would definitely try and get automatic next time and the water heater only runs on gas so would be nice to have one that can run on electric too.
I believe the electric element can be retro-fitted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can't see much point in having an electric water heater, the 400 quid you pay for it buys a lot of gas and if running on LPG about the third of the cost if using a metered outlet and totally useless unless you are in a prison camp camp site.:)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Depends on what your knee feels like after creeping onto the M25 for two hours,in stop start traffic. I couldn't walk on it for a day and I do not have arthritis or similar. The NEXT one WILL be auto box as driving around a roundabout take a fair bit of attention without needing to change three times on there as well. The wife might also drive it without the hassles of gearchanging tocope with.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Depends on what your knee feels like after creeping onto the M25 for two hours,in stop start traffic. I couldn't walk on it for a day and I do not have arthritis or similar. The NEXT one WILL be auto box as driving around a roundabout take a fair bit of attention without needing to change three times on there as well. The wife might also drive it without the hassles of gearchanging tocope with.
The scope of my comment was for fully able Funsters. I have been stuck on 6 hr Gotharf tunnel delays before in Switserland before now so fully understand that!:)

Personally while able I would have stuck with simplicity and a 6 speed manual.....

Eddie

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The scope of my comment was for fully able Funsters. I have been stuck on 6 hr Gotharf tunnel delays before in Switserland before now so fully understand that!:)

Personally while able I would have stuck with simplicity and a 6 speed manual.....

Eddie
Well I'm fully able (I think), best decision ever to get an automatic Motorhome, worst decision ever going back to a manual car.:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well I'm fully able (I think), best decision ever to get an automatic Motorhome, worst decision ever going back to a manual car.:)

I love my 6 speed auto Smart car...it's a revelation in sport mode! have forgotten how to drive wife's Ford! But smart comes into its own here in London:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Still interesting to hear other peoples views whether its an old thread or not!
Bliss
image.jpg

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have an auto merc on a 3.0l and love the fuel comments. ..I'm lucky to get 20 mpg..

My new audi a6 is auto with the best box in the world. .
But
I love the feeling of getting in my VW Beetle 2.L sport on a manual and proper driving it. 6 speed box and great fun.

For work and pleasure though you can not beat an auto. .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Nah...refillable gas system works out cheaper then paid electric:)

Plus something else to go wrong! Speaking from experience.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back