samyurai

Free Member
Jul 7, 2014
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
It would appear that most motorhomes are manual, what are the pro's and cons of buying an automatic? are they heavier on fuel? more expensive to service?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks, Al

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Comfortmatic (Fiat) is about the same whether in auto or manual mode as it is simply a robotic gear change.
Fuel economy is governed by weight of the van and your right foot.
All the pleasure is in the driving, I'll never have a manual again.

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We have just bought an automatic it's a pleasure to drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had an auto for seven years. It's a conventional Mercedes 5-speed auto with torque converter, rather than an automated manual such as the Fiat Comfortmatic or Mercedes Sprintshift (no longer made). Very pleasant to drive and easy abroad since it's also a LHD.
Servicing costs no more apart from the need to change the auto fluid every few years (about 75,000 km intevals I think).
Fuel consumption may be a bit higher but that is mainly due to the gear ratios. A six-speed manual usually has a higher effective top gear than a 5-speed auto so the engine revs more slowly at high cruising speeds. More recent (Merc) auto boxes have six ratios and I think the very latest may have seven so that issue may no longer exist. Consumption depends to a very large degree on driving style, weight and (lack of) aero-dynamics so the auto box may not be the most significant factor. As an indication, my Hymer is plated at 3,800 Kg (and we usually travel pretty full); I drive with a 'light right foot', cruise around 50-55 mph, sometimes a bit more on motorways and get 25 mpg (accurate average calculated over 42,000 miles - not per tankful). That is on a 2003 vehicle with a 2.7 litre 5-cylinder engine.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you buy it new then it cost you more and you can loose payload, our cars have been auto for years , love them, couldnt afford auto on the van so had to make do with manual.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Fiat Comfortmatic on my Laika, (150bhp) never go back to manual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
loving the sprintshift it makes for relaxed easy driving in any conditions with the option for manual override should you feel the need. 25mpg with the 2.1 engine fully loaded. I suits me a treat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back