Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

I am new to owning a motorhome. I bought a 1998 Autohomes Wanderer on on a Peugeot Boxer 1.9td. To be honest, I've had nothing but problems an have yet to get the use out of it. I had to have the engine replaced the day after I bought it - which took two months to do. After getting it back only two weeks ago I have now found that one of the radiator fans stays on after the engine stops and the only way to stop it running os to disconnect the battery. After going back to it a few days later I reconnected the battery and the fan instantly came back on. I have tried swapping the two relays over to see if one was fault, but the fan stayed on just the same. I disconnected the thermostat switch on the radiator and the fan still comes on with the switch disconnected.

I have no clue as what to try next. A big dream has turned into a big regret. Can anyone suggest anything else that might cause this problem.

thanks in advance

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Hiya will it looks like someone's wired the fan to be on all the time to cover up an overheating problem. It should only come on when the engine gets really hot like in a traffic jam on a hot day. I don't know why the engine was changed but it sounds as if was a blown head gasket.

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Dilbert, thanks for the reply. The original problems was that the turbo went and wrecked the engine. After getting it back a took it for a couple of short trips and the fan never came on, or if it did, it didn't stay on. I left it idling while I was fixing the water heater - on turning the ignition off I notices the fan was still running. I assumed this normal, but after going back to check I found it to be still running. Disconnected the battery and reconnected a couple of days later and the fan comes on immediately

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Alan,

The only switch I know of (other than the two relays) is on the radiator at the bottom right hand side. I hadn't noticed a switch on the engine block. Is that a switch that could override the radiator temperature switch on the radiator? It seemed strange that with the switch on the radiator disconnected that the fan was still running. But if you are right then that would make the unfathomable aa bit more fathomable :)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
not sure on your motor but on some Peugeot engines thers another switch on the block usually near the thermostat, usually coloured,

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
So, the mystery is solved. Dilbert, you were right - one of the previous owners has wired up a switch from the dashboard (not sure of it's original purpose, it's a switch with the picture of a lightbulb) which is wired to override the thermo switch on the radiator. I have no idea if the fan still works automatically of course. Thanks to Alan + Diane for your suggestion - raking around the engine block led me to a cable (looks like it's been cut off of an old table lamp) going directly to the thermo cable from the switch on the dash

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I always wanted to own a motorhome, but I had no idea that it would be such an emotional rollercoaster :D.

Just need to get my fridge working on gas and I'm good to go. Do you think it's feasible to camp in the winter? We are really dying to get out and about in it.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Just a thought. Maybe the manual switch in the cab is because the radiator switch is stuck either open or closed.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
I only mentioned the fan wiring bodged by a previous owner because many years ago I bought a hillman avenger for £45 that had the same thing done to it by the guy I bought it off!!

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
We have had motorhomes for 40 years and had a great deal of pleasure from them so stick with it.We go away weekends,tow my racing car to circuits for race meetings,Holiday in France and other places.Perhaps we have been luck but we have always had fairly reliable vehicles(mainly transit based).We have always had secondhand vehicles,our present one is a 2001 Ford Transit Buccaneer which we have had 8 years.So you don't have to have a newish van to enjoy motorhoming!!

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
http://www.ourwanderer.uk/pagelinks.htm#Pages2

On this page of the index it mentions 'Radiator Modifications - adding a control switch'.
When you follow that link there is a diagram of the cooling system circuit. It may help you to sort out how yours was changed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't be put off..... once you have sorted out what someone else has bodged you will feel so pleased with yourself. :)

Why not sign up for some of the Scottish Rallies in 2018? Millport (might be getting full but there is a reserve list), Dumfries and then Kelso? they are all in June. You can do just one or two or all three depending on space.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/events/

for dates.

A tip for making friends....... once parked up near other motorhomes:
1) open the bonnet,
2) stand beside open bonnet and look perplexed
3) wait for "help" to arrive.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi @William Brown and :welcome4: to the Fun.

Shame you've had a couple of unfortunate experiences right away but, as you've found out, joining in on here has helped resolve those problems. Let's hope you don't have many more and can enjoy your van as you had looked forward to.

If you're still having problems with your fridge we can probably help too. First thing, have you got gas in the bottles and do the other gas appliances (hob, water/heating) work okay? There is usually a gas cut-off switch close to the fridge, maybe in a locker underneath - check that hasn't been turned off. Can you hear the igniter clicking when trying to start the fridge? If you take off the exterior vent cover you should be able to see the gas jet. Give it a light brush (don't poke into it with anything) to clear any dust or dirt. See if you can get a brush up the flue too. If none of that works come back here for some more technical advice (from people who know more about it than me!)

And finally, yes, it's perfectly possible to winter camp; many do, even skiing although that needs a bit more preparation.

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all for the feedback. What a fantastic community. I have actually started to enjoy the work and can see light at the end of the tunnel.
Quick update. Looked at the ourwanderer site which is brilliant, but the modification on my van looks to have been done because the radiator switch is faulty - on my todo list
Fridge is working from mains, but gas won't stay lit. Will be following advice given by TerryL
Went for a quick spin in it yester. Headed down the M74 ( closer to the southern sun ). Battery went dead by the time I got home, so that's my next job.

Thanks for all the great advice so far and the brilliant support. Hopefully my experience will allow me to help others in the future

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Hi will glad you're sorting the van bit by bit and gave it a good run a lot of vans don't get used much, just parked up for weeks on end does them more harm than good. Just a thought if your van has a Peugeot XUD engine with a Bosch pump you can run it on veg oil ok.

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
that sounds great Dilbert. How can I identify if that's the case

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Hi if the engine number starts XUD it's the same lump as Peugeot 405 or Citroen xantia but they have either Bosch or Lucas pumps . The Lucas ones no good for veg oil .if you use waste oil filter the bits out or new oil is cheaper than diesel if you buy from macro or a cash and carry.handy to know a chip shop owner.have a look on piston heads car forum for more info.got to save a few bob now and again!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Up to you but if I had just paid for a replacement engine and was going to do an average mileage I wouldn't risk the cooking oil!!!. As a matter of interest was the previous engine high mileage or was it one of the hardly used ones?

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
i had the old.engine reconditioned. It had only done 40,000 miles

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So very low mileage about 2500 a year or less. I often see ads making a big thing about low mileages but I suspect they have more wear than ones that have done double. I noticed recently the insurance estimates in MMM are based on 1000 miles a year!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
that should bring my insurance down then since I am not currently able to do many :D

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
The Peugeot XUD is regarded as a good engine, so you'll get many happy miles with it....... and you'll learn lots solving all the initial problems. Dash switch often fitted across the thermostat to turn the fan on early and keep the temp down when going up long hills etc in hot weather.
Fridge sounds like a thermocouple (the probe that sits in/above the gas flame) problem. It is a safety device that cuts off the gas if the flame goes out. It is over-ridden when you press the button to light the flame, initially. You need to hold the button for some seconds (?10 -15 ) to allow the thermocouple to heat up and allow the gas to flow continuously. Is the probe sitting in the hot part of the flame?
Faulty Gas valve (into which the thermocouple threads) on top of the fridge is another possible cause of flame failure.
Just thoughts............ no doubt other members can give you much more advice.

OP
OP
William Brown

William Brown

Free Member
Nov 3, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autohimes Wanderer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Joeo's, that's great feedback on the fan switch. Once i have figured out how to get the fridge out I will run the checks that you have advised. Thanks for your input

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I only mentioned the fan wiring bodged by a previous owner because many years ago I bought a hillman avenger for £45 that had the same thing done to it by the guy I bought it off!!
My dad used to have one as a company car years ago, but it was fitted from new with a viscous fan as far as I can remember. Might have been older than yours though, think it was L reg. :unsure:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Joeo's, that's great feedback on the fan switch. Once i have figured out how to get the fridge out I will run the checks that you have advised. Thanks for your input
Hopefully, you will not have to remove the fridge to carry out the jobs suggested.

You should, normally be able to access the burner, flue, and thermocouple by removing the external vent covers.

Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back