Autograph 3 submersible water pump on battery/mains (1 Viewer)

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Hi,
I have a new 74-2 autograph 3 and was surprised to find that the old whale pump under the floor has been replaced in the Autograph 3 with a submersible pump in the water tank!

Please please do not suggest I ask my dealer, I have and they have told me they are closed and not even taking bookings for service or warranty issues!

I was warned by a knowledgable friend that these pumps can be problematic ( par for the coarse with Bailey I hear you groan)!
The issue I have is I cannot find the inline pressure switch!

the pumps works fine on electric hook up but when unplugged the pump runs continuously as the pressure switch doesn’t close the circuit!

If I knew where the pressure switch was I could adjust it but so far no luck!
Again PLEASE do not tell me to contact my dealer Stowfords as they have proved useless to date!

I have had motorhome for thirty years, even built two so not a complete numpty!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try another dealer.

It shouldn't make any difference whether on hookup or not, the pressure switch is 12v.
Are you sure it isn't on tap microswitches.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Cant help you on the location but it is a known problem on Baileys, the pressure switch is often set when the battery voltage is high on mains voltage and then on a lower battery voltage the pump struggles to make the pressure with the voltage available.
Your righht in saying the pump needs adjusting. The location should be in the handbook as I believe from posts on FB that the handbook descibes how to adjust it, just nobody says where it is.
Can you not follow the pipes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Cant help you on the location but it is a known problem on Baileys, the pressure switch is often set when the battery voltage is high on mains voltage and then on a lower battery voltage the pump struggles to make the pressure with the voltage available.
Your righht in saying the pump needs adjusting. The location should be in the handbook as I believe from posts on FB that the handbook descibes how to adjust it, just nobody says where it is.
Can you not follow the pipes!
Hi, thanks yes I have tried and can’t see anything!
I have been told it may be at the pump end but again I can’t see or feel anything!

I have made an official complaint to Stowfords, see if they reply even with advice over the phone!

I will spend some time tomorrow investigating again!

we are currently on hook up so bot pressing but it means we can’t go to a non hook up site until resolved!

I do NOT have a manual, it was not supplied with one! Another Stowfords omission!

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Try another dealer.

It shouldn't make any difference whether on hookup or not, the pressure switch is 12v.
Are you sure it isn't on tap microswitches.
I have with little luck hence me asking here!

It seems a known issue as the 12v on hookup ( 14.5v or there about) I’d very different from the 12v (13v) when not on hook up!

I just wanted help from another Bailey user on here who MAY know!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From the manual onthe Bailey website.
1617821822954.png

You can download the manual here.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi wuzzlewood sorry, should have mentioned when I put the Manual link up that I have got the Autograph 2 with the pump fitted to the underside of the van so easy to get at, I have had a quick look at the manual and the pump for the Autograph isn't specifically mentioned though it seems to intimate that it is the same submersible pump used in the other 2 models.

It seems to say it can be adjusted but doesn't give a great deal of info though knowing it may be the same submersible pump used on other models may let you widen your search for knowledge, I would suggest trying the Facebook Bailey owners group as they are generally very helpful, if I get time later I will have a look see what I can find out but a bit busy at the moment.

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Hi wuzzlewood sorry, should have mentioned when I put the Manual link up that I have got the Autograph 2 with the pump fitted to the underside of the van so easy to get at, I have had a quick look at the manual and the pump for the Autograph isn't specifically mentioned though it seems to intimate that it is the same submersible pump used in the other 2 models.

It seems to say it can be adjusted but doesn't give a great deal of info though knowing it may be the same submersible pump used on other models may let you widen your search for knowledge, I would suggest trying the Facebook Bailey owners group as they are generally very helpful, if I get time later I will have a look see what I can find out but a bit busy at the moment.
Thank you for your help.
If you do find something let me know as we aren’t going anywhere soon as we are on site in Wales for another two weeks!
Thank for trying to help anyway!

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Thank you for your help.
If you do find something let me know as we aren’t going anywhere soon as we are on site in Wales for another two weeks!
Thank for trying to help anyway!
Ask the question on The Bailey Motorhome Owners Facebook page - you will get an answer there.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Pm me your details and I will get someone from my after sales team to look after you.

• Nice One!
Reactions: f6c
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My previous motorhome had a floor mounted pump and it was very noisy. Not so bad in the day, but when one of us got up to use the toilet in the middle of the night the pump would wake the other one up. Our present motorhome has a submersible pump and the difference is amazing, just a very slight hum. When I picked the new motorhome up I switched on the tap doing the pre-sale checks and assumed the pump was not working because I couldn't hear it, until I saw the water coming out of the taps.

As for reliability ours has a twin Reich pump and it has not missed a beat in the last five and a half years, despite (or maybe because of) me keeping a spare in the garage "just in case". Having said that I was never impressed with the quality of Whale systems in my caravanning days, but that was over 20 years ago. Ours uses microswitches on the taps rather than a pressure switch and one of them has had to be replaced when we were in Portugal a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Pm me your details and I will get someone from my after sales team to look after you.
Thank you Simon, I have sent you a message and a conversation!
Thanks for your offer for help!
Much appreciated!

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
UPDATE:-

following a letter of complaint to one of the directors at Stowford I had an almost immediate response!
The service department spent 20 minutes on the phone and sorted the issue(s)!

For information the pressure switch is housed under the oven behind a cut out in a false back panel! It only needed a quarter of a turn anti- clockwise and the pump works perfectly on hook up and off!

My solar panel controller settings have been amended and if tbis doesn’t work a new controller will be ordered and fitted!

Well done Stowford!

Why oh why do we have to complain to get any action taken? I know these are difficult times but surely customer service is just as important as it ever was?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back