Autocruise Starspirit vehicle weight (2 Viewers)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've just had my van weighed - 3100. (inc Me. Full fuel tank, Full fresh water & most necessary things):thumb:

The plate under the bonnet has a gross weight of 3300

Axle 1 1750 - Axle 2 1850 = 3600.

The V5 has a weight of 3500:Smile:

Anyone know why is there a difference between the Peugeot Gross weight/Total axle weight and V5 weight? Would you expect to find a converter's plate somewhere on an Autocruise?

Many thanks for any info
Phil

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Does anyone know which figure I should abide by? If the V5 says 3500 & I get pulled will VOSA use the manufacture's plate weight?

Thanks

Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should have an Autocruise plate on the van with the uprated weights usually it is a stick on one on the side of the body. The plate under the bonnet is for a standard chassis cab/van, converters fit their own plate which the one to go by.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The V5, which is the concern of DVLA, shows what is known as the "revenue weight", i.e. what the RFL is based upon.
The GVW or MAM, which is the concern of VOSA is as defined by the vehicle manufacturer (sometimes adjusted by the motorhome converter with the vehicle manufacturer's agreement). So the answer to the first part of your question is that a VOSA check will concern itself with the plated weight, not what's on the V5.

Regarding the second part of the question, I have no idea whether Autocruise affix a second plate. In the case of my Hymer, their plate is on the offside skirt near the rear wheel - plain for all to see. It also matches the info on the Mercedes plate under the bonnet - so I would not hold out too much hope of finding a loophole.

Philip

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your replies :thumb:

Any Autocruise experts out there who know where the converters plate is (if there is one)?

I have phoned Autocruise and got the usual "we don't know anything about Autocruise units built before we took them over".

Thanks

Phil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i am sure the important plate is the one you have .as somebody that regularly changes plates on vehicles .i would say if its changed the weight you change the plate .
it can actually be a sticker with written figures .but the original one is supposed to be removed. when building mini artics like mine we can voluntary lower the gvw or train weight and use either aluminium plates or stickers . we just tell dvla and they then alter the log book .its very easy and simple .
cheers alan.
the problem is up plating may need engineers report or inspection by vosa.
sv tec can help there .

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
plenty of motorhomes about with more than one plate ...the one fitted by the converter applies

why not try contacting sv tech , see what you could have on that chassis without modification ; whatever they say I would get a plate made to that , showing the axle loads which you have , and also the max gross [up to 3,500 ]

if you feel that is a bit cheeky , try autocruise and see if they would make you a plate , they must make them for your conversions ; of course you could also try googling your chassis type and see what weights are specified !

on my hymer A class hymer just stamped x's over the original weights from fiat and stamped on new ones !! all above board as it is on the official papers

I have also just seen stickers added , presumably legal

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Thanks for your replies :thumb:

Any Autocruise experts out there who know where the converters plate is (if there is one)?

I have phoned Autocruise and got the usual "we don't know anything about Autocruise units built before we took them over".

Thanks

Phil

The German convertors are the ones that usually put any plate on the exterior bodywork - I've never seen one on a UK converted van.

Swift (and I do understand yours is pre-Swift days) used to put any uprating plate in the drivers footwell :Doh:.

My own Rapido has 3 plates on it - A Fiat plate, an ALKO plate, and a Rapido plate (the latter with a higher MGW than the other two). In assessing any roadside issues, VOSA should take the last added plate as the operative one.

It would be interesting to know what year your 'van is, however. MMM lists the 2004 Starspirit as 3300kg and late 2005 as 3400kg. This begs an interesting question as to whether you are being misled by the Revenue Weight on your V5C. It is not uknown for there to be errors on these documents, and in many cases (particularly if not above 3500kg) the field is simply not completed.

Whatever, VOSA will go by what is plated. I would have a good look round the engine bay for another plate, and then start to look at the less likely areas, such as the footwells and door surrounds.

The one original question that has not been answered is that about your axle weights - the total of the two axle weights will normally be more than the max gross weight, in order to allow for some flexibility in loading. You must not exceed either of the max axle weights, or the MGW (less than the two added together) to remain legal.

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I have a 2006 Autocruise Starblazer. ( pre-Swift ).

The weight was upgraded by Autocruise during manufacture and the new plate is stuck over the top of the original under the bonnet, with a 'window' in it to show the Vin number.

Actually to be more accurate, the rear suspension was upgraded, for Autocruise, by an outside company and they fitted the plate and produced the uprate certificate.

I have an Autocruise brochure for 2006 and the Starspirit is listed as having a MTPLM of 3400kg. Yours may be different if a different year.

It also states the Mass in running order as 2818kg ( for the 'Low Line' model; i.e. without an overcab bed pod ) and usable payload as 582kg.

Autocruise did uprate the MTPLM of some of their models for 2006: I agree with others that the 'plated weight' is the important figure and I expect that 3300kg is probably correct for yours.

Edit to clarify: The MTPLM is the same thing as MGW ( Maximum Gross Weight )

hth

Harvey

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks for the very useful replies.:thumb:

Its a 2004. When I look at adverts for Starspirits of similar age I notice that the gross weight varies from 3300 up to 3500. It got me thinking "what is the correct value"?

I have a payload (based on gross 3300) of 200kg. This is after including me (heavy:roflmto:) full fuel and water, Bike on rack & most things required for a trip. As I travel solo It isn't much of a problem. But if I have a passenger and I decide to buy one of the only two types of generator allowed:ROFLMAO: and then buy a load of wine in Calais I might just tip the scales so to speak.

I'll try and find a report/article from one of the motorhome magazines to see what they say.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Phil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
speak to sv tec they can probably up plate it to a greater wt. worth every penny . ask to speak to gareth marsh (i think )he knows more than vosa and dvla together. they are very helpfull . be safe .also if you can go over 35 ton (beware driving licence restrictions)you can save on road tax .
cheers alan
cant remember their tel. no. but google them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
200kg spare sound fine with full tanks we are always right on the limit (3500kg) always dump tanks at Calais to get the wine on board, I could always leave 'er indoors behind if I find a nice wine I can't resist.:ROFLMAO:

Because we have a special Edition with loads of extras as standard our ex works payload was only 350kg with 90% water, gas, fuel & driver. After fitting awning, bike rack 2nd battery down to about 270kg good job 'er in doors is under 7 stone.
We conveniently have a 24hr unmanned VOSA weighbridge about 2 miles from home so easy to check weight before a trip.
Our chassis can be uprated to 3850kg really don't want to do that too many restrictions abroad.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you can uprate to 3.8 all well and good .dont worry about abroad they cant tell the difference and never ask. tell white lies if you need to .you have a forget ful memory. ha ha .
you could nearly save the cost in wine on the first trip.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all your helpful replies.

In June's MMM there is an Autocruise Pioneer Magellan in one of the "for sale" articles. Its a year younger than mine and has a gross weight of 3300kg. So I'm happy with that figure.

Many thanks :thumb:

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back