Autocruise Starblazer XL - Exterior Locker Hinge (1 Viewer)

Sheff Steve

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer XL
Exp
Since 2015
Hello all,

I have just had one of the external locker door hinges snap and have been trying to source replacements with little joy up to now. Please see attached photo.

Has anyone got any contacts or indeed have any spares kicking around? Probably rarer than hens teeth I'd imagine...

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Attachments

• Autocruise locker hinge.jpg
    Autocruise locker hinge.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 80

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Ebay is normally a good place to start http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/motorhome-door-hinge
But might require a "similar" set to replace those on your locker if you want them to look all the same.

O'Leary Motorhomes use to carry lots of different spare and end of production stuff, especially for UK built vehicles. Could be worth giving them a call. Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When you come to fit a new one do it so that the locker door can be slid off. That way you can lubricate them occasionally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sheff Steve

Sheff Steve

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer XL
Exp
Since 2015
Ebay is normally a good place to start http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/motorhome-door-hinge
But might require a "similar" set to replace those on your locker if you want them to look all the same.

O'Leary Motorhomes use to carry lots of different spare and end of production stuff, especially for UK built vehicles. Could be worth giving them a call. Broken Link Removed

Thanks for the info,

I have sent the same photo off to O'Leary Motorhomes, now awaiting a reply.

Reactions: BwB
OP
OP
Sheff Steve

Sheff Steve

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer XL
Exp
Since 2015
Heard absolutely nothing back from O'Leary motorhome and found nothing on the internet. Looking at some Hymer hinges that maybe very similar so going to order them and see how it goes.
Will repost if/when they are gutted.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
FYI...
It has been mentioned in the past that the use of oil, WD40 etc causes the plastic on these hinges to swell and then create problems, snap etc. Silicone spray was advised to be used. (y)

OP
OP
Sheff Steve

Sheff Steve

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer XL
Exp
Since 2015
Unfortunately not as the actual bracket has snapped.

OP
OP
Sheff Steve

Sheff Steve

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer XL
Exp
Since 2015
Could be TIG welded however, it wont make a good repair and don't want to chance it happening again so will keep looking.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If my buddy welded it - it would never break - it would be better than new.
An engineer always tries to improve on any device that fails.
See how you go but two pieces of 5mm stainless plate, with two lengths of stainless bar drilled with a 6mm hole and welded to the plates would be very strong.
Not cheap but infinitely stronger - and better

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
I have the same problem but hinge only stiff - ie I haven't broken it yet! Did you get anywhere with your search?
The idea of a new pin sounds promising, Stealaway - how do you do it? Getting the existing pin out looks impossible - and where would you get a pin?

Also Tonyidle said
When you come to fit a new one do it so that the locker door can be slid off. That way you can lubricate them occasionally
how would you do that?
Have always used silicone to lubricate but still in a fix!

OP
OP
Sheff Steve

Sheff Steve

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer XL
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I did manage to source a pair of hinges from O'learys for the princely sum of £50! Needed them pretty quickly so had little option, feel like I have had my leg well and truly lifted but it solved the problem. Silicone spray has been applied to all of the other hinges and that seems to be working although none of the existing hinges are stiff so more preventative than anything else.

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
Yep - I see O Leary's have a pair now at £50 but they are grey, 2nd hand and may 'show signs of wear'. really laughed at Stealaway's strap line
that says
How f*cking much ???? !! He's obviously seen O'Leary's prices too

As my hinge isn't broken (yet) I may try to replace the pin ... anyone actually done that yet?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yep - I see O Leary's have a pair now at £50 but they are grey, 2nd hand and may 'show signs of wear'. really laughed at Stealaway's strap line
that says
How f*cking much ???? !! He's obviously seen O'Leary's prices too

As my hinge isn't broken (yet) I may try to replace the pin ... anyone actually done that yet?
When I was speaking to Russ at O'Learys a few weeks ago he said that they've started to mark some stuff as used etc even thought it's probably new to avoid issues with buyers who expect stuff they get cheap, eg old stock, to look as if it's just been made!

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
I don't expect to 'get cheap' - possibly cheaper if they are 2nd hand (so feel that a strange marketing ploy). Happy to pay a fair price - these originally cost under £30 pr. If you need them I guess you'd be relieved to pay £50 but I'd rather explore other possibilities first.
Hope Stealaway and tonyidle will give us the chance to do that with their input!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've had a few Autocruise motorhomes and everyone had hinge issues. Best to remove them every year and apply freeze.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back