auto trail (1 Viewer)

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi
Have been looking at auto trail mh with side sofa layout .They can be up to 6 berth but only 2 designated passenger seats .Is there any way to increase this ?
RAY

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
As far as I know it is impossible to add seatbelts to an existing motorhome due to lack of fixing points.

The garages I know will not take the responsibility of doing this work due to health & safety restraints.

If any one knows different I am sure they will post.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hi, I am sure others will advise you but seat belt fittings/mountings have to be done in accordance with whats known as type approvals. Have a search here for designated seats, as these are the only seats you can now sit in while traveling safely and legally in new motorhomes.
We bought the forward/rear facing dinette seats model Apache 700 SE with the optional lap belts for the rear facing seats to give us a driver and 5 designated seats.
One of our reasons for choosing the Autotrail was with the belt mounting brackets in the two lockers, you still have a reasonable amount of useable storage space. On some the metalwork fills these lockers.
:soaobox:Safety wise, it is not advised on older vans to sit people in other seats, but people do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If you're buying new AutoTrail have an option for fitting either a double dinette or L shaped settee which would give you the two passenger seatbelts you're looking for.

If second hand, the best (probably the only safe) option would be to try to find one which was originally ordered with this option.

lifeson

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Here and there
Funster No
MH
Lo line
Exp
First post on here,
We have just ordered a new Auto-trail Cherokee and was told adamently by the dealer and the sales manager and the Auto-trail rep that for a person of either 12 or 13 yrs old or over 135cm height that they could sit in a side facing seat without any seat belt fitted, it is their responsibilty and not the drivers.
This was also in their sales brochure.(pg 8)
We have a duaghter 14 yrs old and they all agreed she could sit in a side facing - non designated seat without a seat belt (not ideal, but legal)
Would be interested to hear other members views?

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Don't know the legal position but personally would not let a child or adult travel without a seat belt and a designated seat.

I have seen the resultant mess. Once seen you won't do it again.

Sorry forgot to say Welcome to MH Fun on your first post

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Not Illegal Link Removed

See Q13

I wouldn't let either of my kids travel without a seat belt. Each to their own.

Welcome BTW. :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
First post on here,
We have just ordered a new Auto-trail Cherokee and was told adamently by the dealer and the sales manager and the Auto-trail rep that for a person of either 12 or 13 yrs old or over 135cm height that they could sit in a side facing seat without any seat belt fitted, it is their responsibilty and not the drivers.
We have a duaghter 14 yrs old and they all agreed she could sit in a side facing - non designated seat without a seat belt (not ideal, but legal)

As answered above definitely not legal, see Autotrails own website as well for information on this:

"New European leginslation (EC Directive 2005/39/EC) states that to
travel in a sideways facing seat with aseat belt is unsafe and that from 20th October 2007, new vehicles will not be allowed to be registered with sideways facing designated travelling seats.
To coincide with above legislation.Auto-Trail has introduced a number of optional layouts to most of its luxury models. You can drive confidently knowing that you and friends can travel in comfort and safety."

Full text in the below link:

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/seat-belt-variations.htm

I am astounded at the lack of knowledge of the sales staff you spoke to.

Our sales staff were to the letter of the law in the link with their advice, and were most anxious that we were aware before making our decision to purchase, even though at that stage it may not have been their sale.

lifeson

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Here and there
Funster No
MH
Lo line
Exp
As answered above definitely not legal, see Autotrails own website as well for information on this:

"New European leginslation (EC Directive 2005/39/EC) states that to
travel in a sideways facing seat with aseat belt is unsafe and that from 20th October 2007, new vehicles will not be allowed to be registered with sideways facing designated travelling seats.
To coincide with above legislation.Auto-Trail has introduced a number of optional layouts to most of its luxury models. You can drive confidently knowing that you and friends can travel in comfort and safety."

Full text in the below link:

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/seat-belt-variations.htm

I am astounded at the lack of knowledge of the sales staff you spoke to.

Our sales staff were to the letter of the law in the link with their advice, and were most anxious that we were aware before making our decision to purchase, even though at that stage it may not have been their sale.

I knew this would happen,
2 posts one says legal and the other Illegal (post above says its legal BTW)
I must admit that after reading the dft website link (Thanks pablomc)

- has sideways-facing seats?
There's no legal requirement to fit seat belts in sideways-facing seats. The human body bends forward from the waist - not sideways - so the potential for internal and spinal injury is high if a passenger uses a seat belt in a sideways-facing seat. For similar reasons child seats and boosters cannot be approved for using in a sideways-facing seat.
Therefore, a child who is required to use a child seat/booster (ie, all those under 135 cm tall who are also under 12 years old) cannot travel in a sideways-facing seat. A child who needs to use a child seat or booster must use a forward or rear-facing seat.

This to me says it is LEGAL (not ideal but not ILLEGAL)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
First post on here,

we tried one like that, the sideways facing seats caused neck pain as the passanger allways tried to look forwards, there was allso a a feeling of sickness

we bought one with dinnette with forwards facing seats instead.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

There's no legal requirement to fit seat belts in sideways-facing seats. The human body bends forward from the waist - not sideways - so the potential for internal and spinal injury is high if a passenger uses a seat belt in a sideways-facing seat. For similar reasons child seats and boosters cannot be approved for using in a sideways-facing seat.
Therefore, a child who is required to use a child seat/booster (ie, all those under 135 cm tall who are also under 12 years old) cannot travel in a sideways-facing seat. A child who needs to use a child seat or booster must use a forward or rear-facing seat.

It is down to interpretation for the Autrotrail statement making it very much a grey area. E.g. A side facing seat cannot have a seatbelt fitted, which by default means it cannot be a designated travelling seat. What you need to take into account is the number of travelling seats on the log book as this is what could potentially get you into trouble with the law should you be stopped. My advice would be to air on the side of caution and the extra safety a correctly nominated travelling seat would give.

Good luck.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Just to add further you only mention 1 child, so I assume you only have one child. You maybe need to consider Half Dinette option which would give you 2 forward face seats with a seat belts. If you have 3 children then you are into that grey area.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

I was being polite in my first post on this subject, if you want it spelled out in detail, they had to pick up the pieces of a child who had been thrown out of a window when sitting on a sideways seat, when involved in an accident.

It may be legal but if you want the possibility of having this on your conscience then go ahead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back