Auto Trail To Launch A Class. (1 Viewer)

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
AT used to build their High and Lo line models at the same height....3.03m, particularly frustrating if ypu encountered sensitive height measuring toll equipment.
2.99, useful, 3.03...why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
AT used to build their High and Lo line models at the same height....3.03m, particularly frustrating if ypu encountered sensitive height measuring toll equipment.
2.99, useful, 3.03...why?
They also made Super Lo Line versions.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
they did, but i cant remember the height of those...my point was that these models were so close to 3m why not make them 2.99 or 3.00m...so as to enable lower toll charges...
if my At were pinging the toll for a greater charge (for the sake of 3cm) id be annoyed.
i see the current Hi Lines are 3.10m (no prob, its designed to be taller), yet the LoLine is still at 3.03m (surely a LoLine should be 3m or under?
i would have though continental travelling customers would have been letting AT know....but surely theyd already be aware?

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
im with bolero boy again on this, why has a lo line got to be so bloody high ? i have already discovered i need to be 7' tall to open the front roof windows, why ? who designed the apache ? the Harlem Globe Trotters ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
they did, but i cant remember the height of those...my point was that these models were so close to 3m why not make them 2.99 or 3.00m...so as to enable lower toll charges...
if my At were pinging the toll for a greater charge (for the sake of 3cm) id be annoyed.
i see the current Hi Lines are 3.10m (no prob, its designed to be taller), yet the LoLine is still at 3.03m (surely a LoLine should be 3m or under?
i would have though continental travelling customers would have been letting AT know....but surely theyd already be aware?
Come to think about it I got a feeling the Super Lo-line was actually the same height as the Lo-line at 3.03m. Just a different configuration under the luton.
Why they don't make a C class in a lower height? Wonder if it's because their floor level seems to be a bit higher (or looks like it) than others?:unsure:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Never had a problem with the tolls when we had our Tracker FB only ever charged class 2😊 and we had a sat dome on it as well.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
My AT is a LoLine a 3.03m never once pinged the toll for a higher charge. It’s actually 4.5 ton but that’s never been questioned either and always charged at the 3.5t rate. I use the bip tag now in France and the Via for Spain and Portugal, so size or weight probably won’t be questioned anyway?

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
well you've done well, Ian... but, when applying for the tag dont you have to tell them the height and weight?....or is it gleaned from the reg number....? which should determine the charging rate?
however, we actually reckon these days its only if you are on a tag axle that the toll picks up the higher rate.
no doubt as things get more sophisticated, MTPLM info from reg numbers and height from toll measurement will all conspire to extract what they can...
enjoy.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
well you've done well, Ian... but, when applying for the tag dont you have to tell them the height and weight?....or is it gleaned from the reg number....? which should determine the charging rate?
however, we actually reckon these days its only if you are on a tag axle that the toll picks up the higher rate.
no doubt as things get more sophisticated, MTPLM info from reg numbers and height from toll measurement will all conspire to extract what they can...
enjoy.
You just get the tag, it is not linked to any one vehicle. So no vehicle information required for France or Spain and you can use the tags on whatever vehicle you are in. My guess is if they detect you are over height they just won't open the barrier, but I don't know that because we are under 3m.

However having said that if you want to use it in Portugal, you now need to tell them the reg number of the vehicle, which is a requirement of the Portuguese authorities. That is a relatively new requirement and I have not been back to Portugal since it came in. I would be interested to hear from others who have done this if they check your weight and charge accordingly.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Please read sanef SA's terms and conditions carefully before making an application for use of the Liber-T system. By applying for the Liber-T System (service), you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions.
sanef SA Terms and Conditions

6.3 Conditions applicable to the use of Tags on the Network
a. Classes of Permitted Vehicles

The Liber-T System can be used by the following classes of vehicle:

Class 1: vehicles of height less or equal to 2 metres and maximum weight (GVW) less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes;

Class 2: vehicles and rolling assemblies of height more than 2 metres and less than 3 metres and maximum permissible weight (GVW) less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes;

Class 5: motorcycles, sidecars and trikes; and

Vehicles declassified in Class 1: Class 2 vehicles equipped for driving disabled people (with vehicle paper evidencing the "disability" when requested by toll staff or police).

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
Martin, do the above terms mean that those outside the parameters of the listed classes, eg Class 3 (over 3m or over 3.5t) should not (cannot) have a Liber-T tag?

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I originally got the tag for my car and caravan. Changed nothing and it’s worked fine, as others said in France it’s not linked to a Reg number.

My understanding from others is that if they are over 3.1m they may need to pay the higher rate or use the call button to tell them you have a camping car. Seems aircon on the roof often triggers them if it’s over the height beam level.

I’ve been through 4 tolls today and each time straight through either the 30kph or truck lane. No issues. Perhaps I’m outside of the terms and conditions, guess I’ll risk it and wait to be corrected.

When I got the MoHo I actually tried to get a commercial tag but was told not available to individuals!

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
To add a little more to the Grand Frontier. I gather there will be three lengths, 6.96m @ 3500kg... 8.07m @4500kg & 8.8m @5000kg.

Prices seem to be ranging from £83k - £106k.

Chassis will be Fiat with the 160 & 180 bhp engines.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin, do the above terms mean that those outside the parameters of the listed classes, eg Class 3 (over 3m or over 3.5t) should not (cannot) have a Liber-T tag?
Sorry a bit late on this one, yes that would be my understanding but others may not agree.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To add a little more to the Grand Frontier. I gather there will be three lengths, 6.96m @ 3500kg... 8.07m @4500kg & 8.8m @5000kg.

Prices seem to be ranging from £83k - £106k.

Chassis will be Fiat with the 160 & 180 bhp engines.
I can't see them selling many at those prices, if they want to get into the A Class market they need to undercut the Germans considerably. Who would buy a leaky AT for the same price you can get a German van for.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I can't see them selling many at those prices, if they want to get into the A Class market they need to undercut the Germans considerably. Who would buy a leaky AT for the same price you can get a German van for.

They might be able to undercut the Germans - on quality.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe should have had the largest one in the Iveco rear wheel drive chassis.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry a bit late on this one, yes that would be my understanding but others may not agree.
Yes in theory it is correct. But the only thing they measure at the toll booths to determine class is the height. I have never seen a toll booth with a weighing machine. In all the time though France, Spain and Portugal we have never been charged for over 3.5t. Of course if you have twin axle on the rear the operator mat spot it!

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Lenny I think you'll be surprised...the target market is those who buy Mobilivetta K Yachts, Itineo's, Roller Team Pegaso's etc.

The interiors of the Grand are very much along the lines of the Frontier range and I'm assuming the 5 tonne A Class will be tag axle... AT have no problem selling their Comanche which is well in excess of £90K with the options added, base price is £87k.

New vans are expensive.

Take your Hymer, replacing it with the current Supreme Line would be north of £100k when you add options.

The baby AT, the Tracker EKS which at 3500kg with all the toys has about as much payload as my Outwell folding chair if not up plated is way north of £60k when you add media plus and say air con & gearbox/engine upgrades.

Imala's are seen as entry level by many but you won't get a fixed bed version for under £60k with toys unless there's a deal going.

Take a look at Swift who have replaced the Bolero with Kon Tiki Sport, their standard sub 6 metre van is £64k.

Your best bet is their Norden range they build for Scandinavia so is fully winterised as standard - tank heaters, the lot. It's the equivalent of a £70k+ Kon Tiki but as it's a left legger & euro sided Brownhills will flog you one for about a grand shy of £50k and will even swap out the euro two pin plugs for U.K. three pin.

Back to A Class...

There were strong rumours that Benimar would be selling their A class in the U.K from 2021 too but that was pre Covid. They definitely have a U.K sided design down in Pensicola.

Another interesting disclaimer beginning to show itself in the legal text of all motorhome manufacturers is:

"This vehicle is for recreational use only and is not intended for use as a permanent residence."

Full timers looking at new builds beware, this single line may just nobble your warranty.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back