Auto Trail Satellite installation advice (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 22420
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
I’ve just purchased an Auto Trail 740 (2008) model. The previous owner has removed the dish and control box, but the dish base plate and wiring loom are in place. I’ve verified with ten Haaft that the installation is an Oyster 85cm.

Theoretically then, installing the dish and control box should be relatively simple (I’m a retired broadcast engineer). However, I’d like to ensure that the dish retracts on engine start (as a legal requirement anyway) and also locate the best 10 – 20 Amp feed for the system.

So, does anyone know the exact point to find a 12v ignition on/off feed to connect to pin 15 of the Oyster control box? I assume the best places for both feeds are from Sargent EC 325 distribution box but I'm reluctant to open it up without specific details.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I'm very confident with most things DIY on the van but, like you, hesitate with the complicated electrical systems.
For the past 4 years I have called on the services of Robert Jackson who offers a total mobile service to sort anything Oyster out. A phone call to him may be a good move. If in doubt he will come to you and do the lot. This would give you a chance to see where everything goes ready for your next van and a DIY project.
I live in Durham but distance isn't an issue to him. The finished job is top notch and tidy, he is a perfectionist.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I’ve just purchased an Auto Trail 740 (2008) model. The previous owner has removed the dish and control box, but the dish base plate and wiring loom are in place. I’ve verified with ten Haaft that the installation is an Oyster 85cm.

Theoretically then, installing the dish and control box should be relatively simple (I’m a retired broadcast engineer). However, I’d like to ensure that the dish retracts on engine start (as a legal requirement anyway) and also locate the best 10 – 20 Amp feed for the system.

So, does anyone know the exact point to find a 12v ignition on/off feed to connect to pin 15 of the Oyster control box? I assume the best places for both feeds are from Sargent EC 325 distribution box but I'm reluctant to open it up without specific details.

The locker that houses the charging unit has got a false floor, lift that up and you will find your ignition controlled feed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
The locker that houses the charging unit has got a false floor, lift that up and you will find your ignition controlled feed.

Terry

Many thanks; I've looked in there but need to identify the wire's colour coding, any ideas?

regards

Gerry

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Terry

Many thanks; I've looked in there but need to identify the wire's colour coding, any ideas?

regards

Gerry
Sorry but I have no idea of the colour now, but a little proding with a very sharp pointed circuit tester should fiind it. Or if you have not had the answer by tomorrow afternoon, I will have a look in my wiring diagram and let you know

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
Good idea, why didn't I think of that - call myself and engineer!! Will let you know.

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
Hi Terry

With the aid of the circuit diagram, & using a "pointy" probe I've found them - just as you said. So all I need to do now is buy the dish and install it. Many thanks to you - really helpful.

Regards

Gerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back