Auto Trail published price lists and dealer "Special Offers" (1 Viewer)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Being interested in changing our motorhome I've kept a watchful eye on the 2020 vans. I've noticed various price differences dealers are charging above the RRP published by the manufacturers who are then 'reducing' the screen price as a so called offer whilst still being higher than the manufacturers RRP.

Two examples... Todds are selling a 2020 Tribute F72 with an Special Offer reduced price of £51,995, when configured by Auto Trail and including the new £2135 VED, the standard price should be £51,888. It's similar with the F60 they currently have on special offer...

Simpsons are doing the same, on special offer they are selling a Tribute F60 with free road fund licence, this vehicle in the offered configuration should be selling for £49,853, on their forecourt it's £52,075.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the way a lot of MH are priced its difficult to tell quite often there are"option"packs when it's very hard to find one without and that might be the reason for the discrepancy.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think the way a lot of MH are priced its difficult to tell quite often there are"option"packs when it's very hard to find one without and that might be the reason for the discrepancy.
As above, I suspect that is the reason

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Could be an occasional feature in the motorhome Fun magazine. Sort of tongue in cheek puzzle/quiz.
Along the lines of “how did these two new same vans have different prices?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so does Autotrail RRP include the new VED? I doubt it

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

I disagree, it's very simple to find out what is or isn't a cost option on any vehicle, motorhome or otherwise, I did it for a magazine for 15 years.

No vehicle motorhome or otherwise, new or preloved is priced to include VED.

The Simpsons F60 noted above is fitted with the drivers pack, lux pack, alloy wheels & drop down bed, simple maths... £45,495 + £1,499 + £1,399 + £660 + £800.

They're selling another F60 for £56,620, you can't get them that expensive with every AT option added and none of them have any dealer specific additions such as bike rack, 230v, usb sockets or awning.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The RRP is exactly what it is meant to be, ie a recommended retail price, it doesn't mean it HAS to be that price. We are used to stuff being offered as 'special prices' which are normally less than the RRP and I've never heard of stuff being more, but if they can get away with it they will I'm sure. Why not drop Autotrail an email and ask them if they are aware of this practice?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I disagree, it's very simple to find out what is or isn't a cost option on any vehicle, motorhome or otherwise, I did it for a magazine for 15 years.

No vehicle motorhome or otherwise, new or preloved is priced to include VED.

The Simpsons F60 noted above is fitted with the drivers pack, lux pack, alloy wheels & drop down bed, simple maths... £45,495 + £1,499 + £1,399 + £660 + £800.

They're selling another F60 for £56,620, you can't get them that expensive with every AT option added and none of them have any dealer specific additions such as bike rack, 230v, usb sockets or awning.
So how easy is it to get one with no options at all in stock?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
So how easy is it to get one with no options at all in stock?
It would be as difficult as going to a BMW, MB or Audi dealer and getting them to show you a car in stock with no extras.
As for packs, while I appreciate that the vehicle manufacturers build the base vans for a market that includes builders who just need to move 'stuff', I am surprised that Motorhome manufacturers do not include but want to charge extra for a driver's pack which has basics (these days) like cab air con and cruise.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I am surprised that Motorhome manufacturers do not include but want to charge extra for a driver's pack which has basics (these days) like cab air con and cruise.

It's probably all to do with the clever profit and marketing strategy in all honesty.

Example: If you were to buy a brand new built house, say £300K in value, but then get the electric garage door pack included along with the kitchen pack, double glazing pack, the internal lighting pack and the carpet pack then most people will think "wow, look at all these extras for my money".

Whereas the builders will just think "suckers" as it would come as standard anyway!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
It's probably all to do with the clever profit and marketing strategy in all honesty.

Example: If you were to buy a brand new built house, say £300K in value, but then get the electric garage door pack included along with the kitchen pack, double glazing pack, the internal lighting pack and the carpet pack then most people will think "wow, look at all these extras for my money".

Whereas the builders will just think "suckers" as it would come as standard anyway!
Yes I agree but in building terms I equate it more with not putting windows in a building. The window tax being repealed in 1851 :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes I agree but in building terms I equate it more with not putting windows in a building. The window tax being repealed in 1851 :)
Me too sounds like a"bait and switch" sell. Have a lower list price then slap on the"extras" which really these days are more like essential and probably hard to avoid. When we bought ours new 6years ago one good thing was that the ford cab had aircon cruise heated screen as standard and the hab had panoramic window screen covers hook up lead etc too. It beggars belief that they are listing cab aircon as an extra 6 years on!!!

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012

Not sure its actually very clever. Trying to be smart by up selling what most people would expect to be standard items just risks leaving the purchaser disappointed and frustrated with what should be an enjoyable experience. Especially when they are 1st time buyers and moving on from purchasing a car.

And that before having to deal with all the snags

The motorhome industry has a lot to learn

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The RRP is exactly what it is meant to be, ie a recommended retail price, it doesn't mean it HAS to be that price. We are used to stuff being offered as 'special prices' which are normally less than the RRP and I've never heard of stuff being more, but if they can get away with it they will I'm sure. Why not drop Autotrail an email and ask them if they are aware of this practice?

Spoke to them this morning, the response being that the price they state in the brochure(s) is fixed and what the customer should be paying for production line models and factory fitted options.

Discounts are offered at the discretion of the dealership within their network.

They know about and agree that there is a "degree of regional surcharging" although this practice is the responsibility of the dealership and manufacturers are helpless to control this as many accounts for factory pre- orders are settled prior to delivery.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Not sure its actually very clever. Trying to be smart by up selling what most people would expect to be standard items just risks leaving the purchaser disappointed and frustrated with what should be an enjoyable experience. Especially when they are 1st time buyers and moving on from purchasing a car.

And that before having to deal with all the snags

The motorhome industry has a lot to learn

Couldn't agree more! The Autotrail dealers in our area are really struggling and they're already trying to reduce their stock in anticipation of a bad sales year.

I have a couple of pals in one of the big AT dealers and they keep telling me that the dealer profits can be quite significant if they sell each van within a few £'000 of the RRP.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a couple of pals in one of the big AT dealers and they keep telling me that the dealer profits can be quite significant if they sell each van within a few £'000 of the RRP.

But dealer profit can't be calculated till after your pals have been paid, along with everyone else, and business rents, rates, taxes, bank charges etc. Only then can we guess at the profits.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
But dealer profit can't be calculated till after your pals have been paid, along with everyone else, and business rents, rates, taxes, bank charges etc. Only then can we guess at the profits.

A very valid point Jim as these things don't sell or repair themselves.

For info; the guys also mentioned that the Autotrail vans have the biggest mark-up of all six brands they sell so that may be a useful bit of info to the OP for when he negotiates a final price.

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
For info; the guys also mentioned that the Autotrail vans have the biggest mark-up of all six brands they sell so that may be a useful bit of info to the OP for when he negotiates a final price.
Very true, I went in armed with all the facts and figures and was more than happy with the outcome especially as the vehicle isn't on stock, AT have to build it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back