Auto -trail Mohawk Fuel Consumption (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi,
Has anyone got accurate fuel consumption for a 2011 Auto-Trail Mohawk with the 130BHP engine.

Also is there anything I should looking out for when buying secondhand?

Cheers
Dane

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can't help with the consumption but as a starter (others may be along shortly) check the media system carefully (assuming it has a double din ELE model fitted?). The ELE12 was a bit of a "bummer" with various faults. ELE13 is a bit better. User manuals for both are on here somewhere.

There was also a fault with the Fiat instrument cluster (various warning lights showing dimly all the time) but that may only be on slightly later models? Fiat replaced under warranty (but this will be expired on an 11 plate now).

If you don't have it you can download the handbook here - http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/downloads/handbooks

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Dane, what a great layout!
Hope to catch up with you sometime :)
Ps.Sorry couldn't help with mpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Dane

MPG is a how long is a piece of string question as everybody drives differently, I would say from reading other threads on the same subject that if you work on 25MPG you cant to too far wrong and better to get a nice surprise than a shock.

My wife wanted a Mohawk but I wanted a German beast, for a change I won. nice van though.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My Apache 700 is a similar size and weight. It is a 2012 with 2.3 130bhp Euro 5 engine, yours being 2011 may be the Euro 4 but I think any difference will be minor.
In 3 years I have done 26,000 miles over varied roads inc 2 Morocco trips. We almost always run heavy loaded at about 4100 kg.
So far I am getting an overall average of 28mpg.

Known Autotrail issues.
Water ingress / damp... Get an independant habitation test, dont reply on one supplied by the dealer / seller. Window leaks were a problem on some due to poor seals.
Media system, they are just crap.. So test it as will cost to replace and may be something you can haggle on.
Check all appliances like the fridge, water heater etc are fully working as these are the big expensive items to replace.
AT's suffer from lots of annoying build issues but in general nothing that is major and common to every van.

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, I have a 2011 Mohawk with 2.3 130bhp. Only had it since Feb this year and done 3 trips out so far but getting 28mpg. Had it re-mapped to 160bhp after first trip with no difference in fuel consumption. Love the layout have had no issues so far but agree the media system is crap. I have installed an Avtex TV in the bedroom which receives way more channels using the same aerial. Only downside compared to my previous van is the small fridge. I got around the problem by installing a 12V/230V coolbox in the garage accesable from the door under the bed.
G3.jpg
G1.jpg

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Interesting to read Trevorf`s mail on his remapping, where did you get the remap done?, we have the same engine in our Apache have just had a remap done by Diesel Bob`s in Ribchester, took it up to 168bhp definitely more pulling power and though we have only covered 200 miles since remap fuel consumption is better by 3 miles mpg so far.
One point Diablo must make certain of is which engine is fitted to the Mohawke he is looking at, if it is a Euro 4 check to see if it has had the gearbox modification done, despite what others have said their was a problem with the reverse gear, Fiat finally accepted the fault and under warranty will fit the modified parts.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Interesting to read Trevorf`s mail on his remapping, where did you get the remap done?, we have the same engine in our Apache have just had a remap done by Diesel Bob`s in Ribchester, took it up to 168bhp definitely more pulling power and though we have only covered 200 miles since remap fuel consumption is better by 3 miles mpg so far.
One point Diablo must make certain of is which engine is fitted to the Mohawke he is looking at, if it is a Euro 4 check to see if it has had the gearbox modification done, despite what others have said their was a problem with the reverse gear, Fiat finally accepted the fault and under warranty will fit the modified parts.

It is a Euro 4, and interesting Re gearbox this goes back to 2007 when they first came out, are you saying they still had a problem with the 2011 ones?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
It is a Euro 4, and interesting Re gearbox this goes back to 2007 when they first came out, are you saying they still had a problem with the 2011 ones?

Oh yes if it`s a euro 4 then the problem is there if it`s not been modified, I know lots of owners said oh we haven`t had any problems with ours, truth is Fiat made the big mistake of fitting a 6 speed gearbox from a 5 speed one, so the 6th gear had to be made smaller, smaller gear =higher ratio, higher ratio meant more faster spinning which equals more work for the clutch, clutch couldn`t handle it etc etc.
The problem first came to light in 2006 and some chassis as late as 2011 still had the faulty gearbox fitted.

They made a modification for the 2.3 ltr engines unfortunately there was no fix for the 3 ltr.

Everyone that suffered owes a debt to Andy Stothert for all the work he did in his fight with Fiat to get them to accept responsibility for this design fault.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ok robnchris thank for the heads up I will certainly ask the question.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Ok robnchris thank for the heads up I will certainly ask the question.

You`re welcome, a good way to find out the age of the vehicle if they are still original of course is to check the date on the tyres, a chassis could of been imported in say 2010 but not converted for another 12 months or so.

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Had my re-map done at "More BHP" in Crewe, not far from where I live.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ok another question, I am looking at a 2013 Mohawk on Friday it's Euro 5 on the maxi chassis, what's the difference with the maxi chassis and the normal one? Does it matter?

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Maxi chassis is rated at 4250kg, has 16 inch wheels and rear disc brakes.
Normal chassis 3500kg, 15 inch wheels and, I think, rear drums.

Mohawk weighs 3430kg in running order so would have no payload on normal chassis if a passenger is carried so yes it matters alot!

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Maxi chassis is rated at 4250kg, has 16 inch wheels and rear disc brakes.
Normal chassis 3500kg, 15 inch wheels and, I think, rear drums.

Mohawk weighs 3430kg in running order so would have no payload on normal chassis if a passenger is carried so yes it matters alot!

So by that all that all the newer Mohawks are on Maxi chassis then?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I have a 2013 Mohawk with the 150 hip engine, drives very well even on hilly roads, not a lot of gear changing, returns 24 - 26 mpg. If the one your looking at on Friday is a 130 engine take a test drive friends have one and have commented on feeling underpowered when fully loaded.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks StewartJ, yes it is a 130 and obviously it won't be loaded when I test drive it, so I will bear your comments in mind.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Done the deal, it was a bit under powered I thought and that wasn't loaded but I managed to get the re-map thrown in, pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the advice, we have had our current Bessie for 8 years from new so I know it inside and out so be ready for loads of how does this work questions for the Mohawk(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have the Scout with 130bhp.

It can feel a bit underpowered when fully loaded on hills but you just need to thrash it into a lower gear earlier as you get to the incline.

I seem to be able to do this a lot better than my wife.:whistle:

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome to the "Mohawk" club. I am sure you will enjoy it. Any questions just ask. Now given up with the stupid Media system and fitted an Oyster satellite last week.

Trevor

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Trevor looking at your photos it looks like you have fitted a bike rack in the garage, how is it fixed ?

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Its the Fiamma garage rack designed to fit in garages. Removed it from my last van (Autotrail Apache 670) before trade in. It screws to the floor and the rear wall. I found the brackets fixed to the rear wall need extra support as the screws just go into the wall insulation. I cut a couple of lengths of timber that fit under the brackets and reach the floor. Will take another picture for you if you wish.
It also folds up out of the way if you need to.

Trevor

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Picked it up Friday, stayed up at a very very nice campsite called Bo Peep Farm at Adderbury for a couple of nights playing, drove home today, goes like an absolute dream, we are well chuffed. Looking forward to many adventures, hopefully see you all in a field sometime.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
welcome back Dane, I seem to recall you moved to France? so guess you have moved back.

Hi Roger, no not moved to France, nice thought though. Had a few family issues but still firmly living in good old blighty.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
alright dane lad, where you been?

Join us or log in to post a reply.