auto trail cheyanne 634SE Mercedes 2.7 Auto (1 Viewer)

paul teale

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Funster No
I have just put a deposit down on a 2003 634SE Mercedes 2.7 Auto . I am due to pick it up next week after it has been MOT'd and serviced. At the time of purchasing and trying out the van, I noticed that the demister fan was not coming on, and the salesman has told me that it does not come on because it works in conjunction with climate control. Does anyone know if this is correct?. I would have thought the fan needed to work to clear the windscreenif nothing else.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming it's a standard 316 Sprinter I cannot see the dealer's explanation as plausible. On mine, the fan (for all outlets) is controlled by a separate vertical rotating switch with 4 positions. It is true that the warm/cold air blend is controlled automatically, but the fan speed is a manual setting. Direction to the windscreen vents (or other outlets) is controlled by a rotating knob. You may need to shut the face-level vents in order to get a decent airflow to the screen.

If your purchase has some optional climate control system, then the above may not apply. However, I would expect a manual fan override facility on a fully automatic climate control system - my Subaru has this.

Philip

OP
OP
P

paul teale

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Funster No
thank you

Many thanks, your comments are very helpful Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I agree with jean luc ive got a pilote on a merc sprinter and if i want to demist the windows i just turn the dial,obviously if the engine is cold then the fan is also cold,but it still goes when i want it to.Think the dealers trying very hard for a sale,when you go to pick it up ask him to show you it all working,if it doesn't dont take the van till you are totally satisfied with it.Hope all goes well and you are out on the road soon enjoying your new van,safe travels barry:thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
We have the 2002 version of the same. Without going out to look - it's raining and I've had a glass or 3 just now :Blush: - I think that the air con needs to be on for the demist to work. Our Volvo definitely is so. I'll look in the morning and report back.

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Just looked at ours. Maybe it's a slightly different model? There is a fan speed control, a vertical sort of roller to the left of the heat selector. It needs to be in position 4 where there is a symbol for the demist. There is also a demist symbol on the heat selector switch. Hope that helps.

Incidentally, I'm fairly sure that the air con works without the engine running. Could be useful? But I'm sceptical about how long it would run without pulling the battery down.

I absolutely love mine. Haven't managed to get out in it this year yet but will very soon. It drives a dream BTW.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Air con doesn't work without the engine although heating does - after a fashion. In cold weather when the engine is first switched off, you can push a switch labeled "Rest" which enables the fan to continue to push out residual heat from the engine. This will, of course, cool after a little while.
Also, on some Sprinters, there is a diesel-fueled Webasto pre-heater. In the normal installation, this only works with the engine running and is designed to warm things up quickly on frosty mornings. It is activated by pushing the central bar of the circular segmented push-switch that controls "Air con" and "Rest" - if you have it. You can hear this little heater chugging away down behind the front nearside of the bumper. A few Sprinters had this system fitted so that it can be used without the engine. If so, there will be a control unit on the central switch panel that juts out below the dashboard.

Philip

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
sprinter heater

I have just put a deposit down on a 2003 634SE Mercedes 2.7 Auto . I am due to pick it up next week after it has been MOT'd and serviced. At the time of purchasing and trying out the van, I noticed that the demister fan was not coming on, and the salesman has told me that it does not come on because it works in conjunction with climate control. Does anyone know if this is correct?. I would have thought the fan needed to work to clear the windscreenif nothing else.

Hi, Just wondering if you went ahead and bought the motorhome and did you get the problem sorted out.

Our Sprinter has the diesel heater fitted as a booster, they were fitted as the sprinter engine never really runs hot enough on a cold winters day to warm the cab up enough so the eberspacher was there to boost the heat also they could be started up (some with the key fob remotely) to warm the cab prior to engine starting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back