Auto trail Apache (what use are they?) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
swiftsteve

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Surely though an easy exercise to uprate from 3500kg, have to say we have never found the need for steadies on our 634 and one hab battery is plenty for our needs.

How easy is it to uprate to 4280kg? What's involved? Are they all dodgy? I was looking at the mohawk, as it's on a heavy chassis (4250). I might have to rethink and find something else.

OP
OP
swiftsteve

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Autotrailsteve doesn't have the same ring to it anyway :LOL:.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Surely though an easy exercise to uprate from 3500kg, have to say we have never found the need for steadies on our 634 and one hab battery is plenty for our needs.
Easy to upgrade the van but not so easy to keep the licence when over 70,,.Must be hundreds of 3500 kg vans driving overloaded.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
:unsure: I might have a totally different view in a few months time then:censored: Anyhow I hope not :confused:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I thought it was a medical and an eye test to keep the license.
It is but many fail,,read posts on this Forum..
As I mentioned it does not refer to any variants only to Apache’. But I’m guessing, only guessing mind, that you may have had a slight problem with an Autotrail which I sympathise with you.
As for your last post it’s very informative Thankyou. It’s what I also researched before buying the 700. Then I found that it had been uprated, did the damp check & bobs my uncle, no point in buying a 6 berth motorhome if you can’t carry 6 persons and their luggage is there. ;) That’s me done also :)
Doubt there is a 6 berth coachbuilt van sold now that would be legal at 3500 kg when loaded..I could be wrong.BUSBY

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I totally agree Rob but for many it's still the C1-thing and 3.5T limit that helps with their final purchase.

In an ideal world they would stick a 632 and 634 on a heavy chassis but that would potentially reduce sales - and no converter wants to lose a sale.

Yes I get what you say and these manufacturers will just keep on taking advantage of buyers who really don't know what they buying.
Salesmen as we all know have no morals at all.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Its been a few years maybe 2013/14.. But we once had a member on here that bought an Apache 700 same as mine, 4250kg.
We got into some private conversations as he was picking my brain on tips and info.
A few weeks later he was out on travels and during the conversation it turned out he didn't have a license with C1... :eek:
Never found out the outcome of that but seems the dealer was very quick to take his £50k plus and not worry about the license issues...

My own view is that at 3500kg a few of the Autotrail models are just not fit for purpose.
Will be the same on other manufactures as well.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
It is but many fail,,read posts on this Forum..

Doubt there is a 6 berth coachbuilt van sold now that would be legal at 3500 kg when loaded..I could be wrong.BUSBY

Last van Maclouis Glen 6 berth 3500 kg, 2004, easily overloaded, I know not another @ 3.5 that would suit my needs. I spent a long time pondering the web & this one came up, so I just hope all will be fine :notworthy:(y)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We have a 2016 Apache 634 that is being traded in for an A class because of damp!!!! That aside..the payload we have at the moment on a 3650kg chassis according to Auto trail Grimsby 300kgs ! We have been on a weigh bridge and we have had the front and rear axles weighed in and at a cost of £25 to have it done ..we are fully laden with everything we would normally carry plus a big bloke driving and a little women in the passenger seat and two dogs to add...40kgs under!
Dont always believe what you see until you have been on the weighing scales!!

Kev

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have a 2016 Apache 634 that is being traded in for an A class because of damp!!!! That aside..the payload we have at the moment on a 3650kg chassis according to Auto trail Grimsby 300kgs ! We have been on a weigh bridge and we have had the front and rear axles weighed in and at a cost of £25 to have it done ..we are fully laden with everything we would normally carry plus a big bloke driving and a little women in the passenger seat and two dogs to add...40kgs under!

Kev

Interested. Did you have water on board ??

I noticed that my 2012 van was quoted with full fresh water in the specs / brochures of the time but now the MIRO is quoted without any water. Making the payload figures look even worse. My 700 was pretty good and had 730kg payload as quoted with full water plus awning was standard so the weight of that would have been included.

Off to weight the Burstner tomorrow (y)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Tonka...yes we had 50% full water and full diesel tank. Nowt in the grey waste and a couple of litres in the wee tank!
All in all..quite happy with it at the time. Like you though..we have ordered a A class . Pick up in July . Hopefully .....better again?

kev

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Well we have the new Delaware with alde. Two leccy bikes fridge freezer full all the stuff we need chairs tables toolkit. All the clothes. Half tank water and nearly half fuel both of us on Weighbridge. 4.190 van can go to 4.5ton so we are ok . Just giving another weigh in

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
I am a newbie ex caravaner for 40years
Hi Tonka...yes we had 50% full water and full diesel tank. Nowt in the grey waste and a couple of litres in the wee tank!
All in all..quite happy with it at the time. Like you though..we have ordered a A class . Pick up in July . Hopefully .....better again?

kev
We were going for a A class Carado after deciding against the Apache,we did have a discussion about the Apache if you recollect, we are now picking up a Low profile Carado T447 now instead.
The Mrs just didnt like the A class "brick on wheels look" I did though..she won in the end.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Kev

Some good figures Kev,

......so what you're telling me is that I did well to avoid the Apache 2-years ago with its 225kg-worth of scooter, towbar and scooter mount :D

Which A-class BTW? It seems that everyone in this thread who has owned an AT will keep it for the shortest prescribed period before exchanging it for a continental brand.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Some good figures Kev,

......so what you're telling me is that I did well to avoid the Apache 2-years ago with its 225kg-worth of scooter, towbar and scooter mount :D

Which A-class BTW? It seems that everyone in this thread who has owned an AT will keep it for the shortest prescribed period before exchanging it for a continental brand.

Hi there. Decided on an Adria Sonic I700SC

Could not afford the Supreme with the Tag axle...so I made do with this one!! lol
Pick it up 10th July . Looking forward to it now too!

Kev

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
Some good figures Kev,

Or nearly owned even :D

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry to go against the grain but I am happy with my Apache 634.Havent had any issues with build quality and it has just had its second habitation check and no signs of damp.In fact it got a complete clean bill of health.I do carry out regular and routine maintenance and have modified what I consider to be some less than perfect design faults,but that’s about it.I consider regular check ups all part of the fun.

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
Sorry to go against the grain but I am happy with my Apache 634.Havent had any issues with build quality and it has just had its second habitation check and no signs of damp.In fact it got a complete clean bill of health.I do carry out regular and routine maintenance and have modified what I consider to be some less than perfect design faults,but that’s about it.I consider regular check ups all part of the fun.
I have a few friends that have had no problems with their Auto Trails worth mentioning, I had an Apache on order but they kept shifting the delivery date and eventually I lost confidence in the manufacturer and the product.
If they can’t predict a delivery date within reason what’s their production line like ? That’s how I looked at it in the end.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That's good to hear. What type of weights and axle loads are you running - it may help the OP out as he want a to establish actual payload figures.

Peel

Free Member
Sep 25, 2013
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Hi all, we have an AT 632 2013 and had no problems with damp or over weigh. When I first got it I loaded it ready to go skiing for 2 months and filled the tanks as quoted in the spec and it was well under the 3850 limit, very happy with it 6 years on.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
A very interesting post, and very scary.
Does not say much for all the magazines that are not much more than the mouthpiece for manufacturers.
And glad I did not go for the coachbuilts with the payloads I am seeing via this forum
Good info from you all and good of you to share the info

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
That's good to hear. What type of weights and axle loads are you running - it may help the OP out as he want a to establish actual payload figures.

My main reason for my reply was to add a bit of balance to what was becoming an Autotrail bashing exercise.I can only say as I find.However, regarding the weights.I have mine plated at 3850 and with a little bit of sensible planning,I keep just below it.It does mean not filling your onboard tank to the max etc but that’s no real problem for us.I can appreciate that people of a larger build than me and my missus might have real problems,especially on the 3500 plated vehicles.Again,my post was to comment on the quality and reliability of my particular motorhome.Others no doubt will have different experiences and I can only sympathise with them.

OP
OP
swiftsteve

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
The one I was looking at was a 632. I just think it's irresponsible to try to sell them plated at 3500kg to unsuspecting customers, that may know nothing of the implications of being pulled up by the DVSA, and being found to be over 5% overweight.
Surely if it's so easy to uprate them, it should be done at source?
We travel quite light, but I wouldn't consider anything with less than 500kg available.
I understand that a lot of AT owners are happy with theirs, and they are nice looking vans. However, the 3500kg models are not fit for purpose in my opinion.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Knock on!
We have a 634 now rated at 3650 (paperwork exercise) and had it weighed, fully loaded with a full tank of diesel, no grey, no black and 25% water for travelling, wine beer and clothes for a 4week trip. It weighed in at 3600! Had 2 minor damp issues all sorted under warranty and still 7 YEARS WATER INGRESS WARRANTY LEFT! Now let anyone tell me that mh manufacturers do not have damp issues and I will find gripes and groans from owners of any mh!
The best mh ever for weight was the Autotrail sb version on a heavy chassis. Suppose that comment will stir you all up but autotrail have been making quality Motorhomes for many years. They are not based on a caravan with flimsy doors etc and they do not cost megabucks eg A Class prices, they are what they are and some of us like them,
Oh, and they are built in the uk and bits are easily obtainable and fitted (albeit mainly de!)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
This thread only proves that the OP was correct in his thinking; i.e. the 632 or 634 is not able to be run at 3.5T.

That said, if you take a look at Jim's recent thread on 'teenie weenie payloads' then you'll see a whole load more vans like the Apache which are not fit for the purpose of motorhoming at 3.5T.

The saving grace for the converters is that a huge number of motorhomers are unaware (or don't give a $hit) about payloads so their P&L accounts will undoubtedly remain healthy for the foreseeable future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back