Auto-trail apache 700 2009 (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Patvic2906
Hi have just purchased a 2009 A/T Apache motorhome problems ? my battery keeps going flat, the auto step now does not work the alarm stopped working, some times the engine turns over but does not start and you can sometimes turn the engine of take the key out and but it keeps running, I have to work the key in and out and it will stop ,apart from the problems we have been able to use it and its been great !!! its been suggested that the alternator is at fault ? please has any body else had these type of problems

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The starter and/or leisure battery going flat is a common problem. The engine that keeps running when you take the key out is definitely not a common problem.

If you can get a multimeter and take a few voltage measurements, that will really shed some light on the battery problems. A cheap meter from any DIY store will be fine.

Plug the black test lead into the 'COM' socket on the meter. Plug the red test lead into the socket with 'V' in the label. Set it to 20V DC. Push the black probe onto the battery negative. Push the red probe onto the battery positive. The voltage should read between 10V and 15V. If you get them the wrong way round, nothing bad happens, but a minus (-) sign appears in front of the voltage reading.

A normal 12V battery that's not being charged, with no big load connected, will have a voltage of between 12.8V (fully charged) to about 12.0V (as low as you normally let it go).

Measure the starter battery and the leisure battery when the engine has been stopped for an hour or more.

Next, start the engine, and measure the starter battery voltage. It should increase, to over 13V, maybe up to 14.5V. That shows the alternator is charging the starter battery. If it doesn't increase like that, you need to find out why.

With the engine still running, measure the leisure battery voltage. It should also increase to about the same value as the starter battery. If it doesn't, you need to find out why.

Let us know the voltages, and someone will suggest the next steps to take.

Sorry I can't help much with the ignition key problem, I've got a few ideas, but others will be more clued up about that.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Faulty ign not sending the signal or fuel shut off valve not getting the signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back