Auto Sleepers Broadway FB - suggestions welcome (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
At the NEC show in October we ordered a new Broadway FB. It is due for delivery in March 2017.

Does anybody have any useful tips or suggestions, ideas for useful extras or problems to look out for?

As part of the deal, we got them to throw in a fitted TV, curtains around the end of the bed to provide some privacy, Diamondbrite paint and upholstery treatment and up-plating to give us a bit more carrying capacity. We have also booked it in at Vanbitz to have a Growler alarm fitted : praying the van isn't delivered late and we miss our slot because they are booked up for months ahead.

Can't wait for the Spring to arrive!

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
If the fresh water filler is still the Whale type ask for the optional normal water filler although this may now be included as standard
Having one of the 12 volt cigarette lighter sockets wired "permanently on" is useful for when the engine isn't running

Good luck with your new motorhome, very nice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Spanner : that's good advice. I don't know about the Whale system. Our Chausson has a system very similar to filling the vehicle with diesel. You remove the lockable filler cap and put the hose in. It is very simple and effective. We did buy a cap which fits in the hole with a fitment for the hose to attach to but don't really feel the need to use it. Is this (either with or without the attachment) the sort of thing you mean by the optional "normal water filler"? I do see the advantage of a permanent 12 volt socket, so thanks for that suggestion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
@Stretto Boy

I would second the suggestion to have an 'ordinary water fill point' rather than the 12v powered type - we had an Autosleeper Bourton with the 12v type and it was a pain. If you have a choice I would also opt for a larger water tank.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
this (either with or without the attachment) the sort of thing you mean by the optional "normal water filler"?

Yes, as the reply above, I fitted the traditional water filler to our Broadway, simple and much quicker to fill

I've also replaced the small bore grey water drain with a 40mm tank outlet, hose and a Valterra 1 1/2" slide valve, the grey tank now empties very quickly without splashing your feet

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
this (either with or without the attachment) the sort of thing you mean by the optional "normal water filler"?

Yes, as the reply above, I fitted the traditional water filler to our Broadway, simple and much quicker to fill

The Broadway we have ordered has the 12v water filling system, I would rather have had the conventional gravity system, can it be converted easily?

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks everybody for your informative comments. The auto-fill water system seems to be a concern, so I have just checked the AS brochure that I was given when placing my order. On page 39 it says that the Peugeot coachbuilts have "Whale or Truma auto-fill & separate manual filler for fresh water tank" so it looks as if my new Broadway will have both systems. That alays my concerns. Hope it does the same for you as well injebreck99. It seems that earlier models did not have both systems so it appears as if AS have taken their customers comments on board, although I will be paying for an auto-fill system that I may never use.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I confess that, being ignorant of the auto-fill system, this wasn't something that I checked at the show. The brochure is very clear that 2017 models have both manual and auto systems, so that must surely be the case. Will be very peeved if it's not. ☹️

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
IMG_0360.JPG
Link Removed Link Removed
I only saw the 12v system on the one we have ordered.

Ours has the rear lounge but I'm sure the fixed bed will have a different plumbing layout.
This is how ours looks after I added the standard fill option and this is exactly how the factory do the job as well.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Ours will be the u shaped lounge as well, but the 2015 model only has the 12v system, I would like more details of how you fitted the other filler yourself if not too much trouble.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had a new Broadway FB in 2013 ( since sold). We never had any problems with the Whale filler, but I admit a second standard filler may be useful too.
Will you use the van all year round? We did and we found when travelling on really cold days, the van heater struggled to keep us warm. I understand you can now use hab heating while travelling if you have the system modified, so that may be something to consider, also getting the Winter pack fitted is a good start to stop water freezing in the tanks.
We enjoyed our van, fantastic build quality ( after a few snags were fixed) and very comfortable.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Injebreck99 : if you Google "Auto Sleepers Whale" it will take you to a number of interesting threads on the AS Owners Forum, the main ones being from 2012 and 2015. It is fair to say that the Whale system is generally disliked but that a number of people (such as Allanm above) think it's absolutely fine. A number of people with problems hadn't realised that - as it has an electric pump - the habitation electrics need to be on for it to work.

As to using the heating on the road, our 2017 model comes with an underslung LPG tank with a crash-sensing automatic valve so it can be used whilst travelling. This was on the 2016 model and you may have it on your 2015.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Ours will be the u shaped lounge as well, but the 2015 model only has the 12v system, I would like more details of how you fitted the other filler yourself if not too much trouble.

I seem to be unable to upload multiple photos to the forum as the file size is too big ?
I'll pm you the photos of the job and if you want I could send some details of the larger bore grey water drain conversion
Both these mods are worthwhile in my opinion and not too difficult depending on your diy skills

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I've had my Broadway FB since May and love it. It's got both water fillers, one on each side so very useful to have the choice. The only problem I've had (which needed fixing twice) was the bar on the top of the habitation door. Very flimsy and just unscrews itself, probably with the vibrations when driving. Seems ok since the last fix, hopefully! You'll be pleased to know that the new models now have the gas strut version, much better. In fact the whole doorway has been re-jigged to incorporate a fly screen, which I didn't know was missing on mine until I got it!
Off to Wharfedale CC site now for a couple of days. Warmer in the van than the house!
Wendy.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Injebreck99 : if you Google "Auto Sleepers Whale" it will take you to a number of interesting threads on the AS Owners Forum, the main ones being from 2012 and 2015. It is fair to say that the Whale system is generally disliked but that a number of people (such as Allanm above) think it's absolutely fine. A number of people with problems hadn't realised that - as it has an electric pump - the habitation electrics need to be on for it to work.

As to using the heating on the road, our 2017 model comes with an underslung LPG tank with a crash-sensing automatic valve so it can be used whilst travelling. This was on the 2016 model and you may have it on your 2015.

Yes, we have an LPG tank as well. No gas locker to store things in anymore.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I've had my Broadway FB since May and love it. It's got both water fillers, one on each side so very useful to have the choice. The only problem I've had (which needed fixing twice) was the bar on the top of the habitation door. Very flimsy and just unscrews itself, probably with the vibrations when driving. Seems ok since the last fix, hopefully!

This a common problem with the Hartal door stay used on various models including Bailey etc.
I fixed ours by replacing the stainless countersunk M6 screw with a non stainless screw a little longer and with a drop of Loctite 243 (Loctite threadlock isn't as effective on stainless as ordiary steels as I found out !)
Also the pin has a habit of jumping out of the nylon slider, I rectified this by machining the recess to allow a retaining "E clip".
Both issued now fine for the last year.

241.jpg 244.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back