Auto sleeper Amethyst 2008 gem automatic (1 Viewer)

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Still unsure which van to get as have only used automatic cars for 20 years and this is only auto in my price range. Excellent condition and have test driven where I found the push button gear selection strange and the gear changes very obvious along with slightly hesitant acceleration and fact it doesn’t hold when in drive. Any advice or guidance about this vehicle please.

OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Is it a true auto or does it have an ‘auto clutch’ fitted as a later add on?
Auto clutch and very strange to use after the car but soon got used to the ‘clunking’ effect and delay in acceleration but not sure how reliable the system is. Van has only done 32,000.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
I have no idea as it is still in dealers while I decide between this and a Bessacar E410 manual which is nice but smaller and I haven’t driven manual for 20 years as left knee is dodgy so looking for help to point me in one direction or the other

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not familiar with the aftermarket auto clutch but if your accostomed to proper autos I think you might find it a bit tiring after a while.
Could the low mileage be an indication it's not a pleasant drive ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
I'm not familiar with the aftermarket auto clutch but if your accostomed to proper autos I think you might find it a bit tiring after a while.
Could the low mileage be an indication it's not a pleasant drive ?
Previous owner elderly couple and van had not been used for 2 years then, on death of the male the family are selling through dealership. MOT and service histories both good and has been looked after.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Is it Fiat Ducato with comfortmatic gearbox? If so It’s not a true auto but it’s clutch is operated electronically and electronic brains control it along with engine revs.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had this system on a Ford based Auto Sleeper for years, once I had got used to it I thought it was great. It is a bit slower off the mark, but you're not going racing in a MoHo. I was concerned about how it would be on hill starts, but it was great, I'm not sure how it new how to do it but even in Cornwall on the steepest hills with a Harley on the trailer behind it was great.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It sounds a lot like the Ford Durashift EST system. It's known to be reliable and very lazy which is perfect for MoHo's. I drove one in a hire van a few years ago and it was strange at first but very soon got used to it and didn't think of the slow changes after a few miles.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you are willing to go down the personal import route, some LHD X244 Ducato MHs had conventional 4 speed autoboxes. They might be within your budget. Otherwise, some MHs based on RHD Renault Master had an automated manual gearbox likewise some based on the RHD Merc Sprinter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back