Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Has anybody got or had an autocruise Jazz 2013 or 2014?

If so what are its best features and what would you like changing?

Thanks

Ronidog

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not a Jazz but an Autocruise Accent 2012 model ... any good?

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Yes please its a start. :) I had dismissed autocruise for my new van until I read about the Jazz.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What we like:

Ours is a 2012 model so has sliding windows at the front next to the dinette and in the sliding door which we LOVE as we can have the partly open when travelling to let fresh air in the rear for the dogs. Unfortunately they stopped doing them after 2012 so this is one reason we were happy to have a 2012 model rather than 2013.

Rear lounge/bed - ours is unusual in that it has a front half dinette and rear lounge layout but we leave the rear made up as a fixed transverse bed (same size as a domestic double) which gives us lots of storage too. It also means we have 2 distinct 'living' areas.

We love the little cubby hole at the end of the kitchen unit behind the bin and under the worktop flap (2013 models onwards don't have this).

What we'd change:
2 ring hob - we'd prefer 3 rings but this is a compromise we had to make to get the layout we wanted.

We don't need the grill - it's useless as it just 'worries' the toast but it does make a good fryingpan store!

We also have a 3-way fridge (gas/230v/12v) and wouldn't buy a van with only a 230v/12v one due to our wild camping or using aires all the time.

What we HAVE changed:
I've turned the wardrobe above the fridge into a larder by putting removable shelves in it which makes it much more useful, all our clothes fold and fit into the lockers above the bed.

The kitchen sink tap is located under the cover which is a nuisance as you either have to lift the cover to fill the kettle etc which is a nuisance if you're using it as worktop space or use the tap in the washroom (this is what I do); the lever for the tap is too long and can be easily knocked on when washing up so I've cut ours down now to stop this.

There are lots of things we love about our van, some things that are a compromise and quite a few things I have changed, like replacing the original table with one I've made of a better size/weight, but unfortunately I haven't got the time to list it all here as we're off on holiday tomorrow (so I'm just having a last 'potter round the forum) although if you do a search you'll probably be able to find some of my previous postings.

Jazz ....
It is a VERY nice van and I must admit if I was on my own I would certainly consider it as it has a very good layout for a compact van, but as there's two of us plus 3 dogs it would be a bit tooooo tight!

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks for that Mel. really useful. We have been using a 5m devon over the last 7 years for 2 of us and a border collie so the Jazz seems ok size wise.

Are the autocruise reliable?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have the Alto and love it. Bought primarily because I wanted a fixed bed. I agree the grills are naff, but I store chopping boards and an electric hot plate in mine. The Alto, has until the 2015 range, had a compressor fridge and I was worried that this would be a problem, however I love it. It cools far better than a 3 way fridge and has a great little freezer compartment. I did have a second battery fitted at the time of purchase and have since had a 100 wt solar panel fitted. Don't like the new Alto as much as the kitchen storage has been significantly compromised by changing the fridge and also repositioning the gas bottle storage. Also I am limited to 6 metre van for parking at home and the new version is in the XL chassis.
Good look with your purchase - use a good dealer, I didn't!!!!

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

I have the Alto and love it. Bought primarily because I wanted a fixed bed. I agree the grills are naff, but I store chopping boards and an electric hot plate in mine. The Alto, has until the 2015 range, had a compressor fridge and I was worried that this would be a problem, however I love it. It cools far better than a 3 way fridge and has a great little freezer compartment. I did have a second battery fitted at the time of purchase and have since had a 100 wt solar panel fitted. Don't like the new Alto as much as the kitchen storage has been significantly compromised by changing the fridge and also repositioning the gas bottle storage. Also I am limited to 6 metre van for parking at home and the new version is in the XL chassis.
Good look with your purchase - use a good dealer, I didn't!!!!

I have to agree with Cal54. We had the Alto. 2011 model and it is the best layout of the bunch of Autocruise models. Although at first glance, the bed looks as if it could be wider, it's absolutely great when you are in it and I am not the smallest of blokes to say the least. One of the most comfortable that we have slept in. There is loads of storage and the payload, which is very important, is great too.

Martin and Shirley,, Martin1485, are really nice people and their van is most definitely worth a look, in lovely condition.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
The Alto is a little long for me. That is why I am interested in the Jazz.

Thanks for all your contributions so far. I am getting the feeling that Autocruise are a good conversion.

ronidog

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
The Alto is a little long for me. That is why I am interested in the Jazz.

Thanks for all your contributions so far. I am getting the feeling that Autocruise are a good conversion.

ronidog
The 2011/12/13 Alto is the same length as the Jazz, 6 metres. Autocruise have recently changed the layout of the new Alto and have increased the size to 6.34 metres.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello Ludo the 2013 /2014 Jazz is 5.4m according to the specs I have seen.

Last edited:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Hello Ludo the 2013 /2014 Jazz is 5.4m according to the specs I have seen.

Hello Ronidog1, you are absolutely right, it is 5.41 m. My apologies, I had it in my mind that it was the same length as the Alto.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello Ludo, that's ok. I am double checking everything about the vehicles I am looking at.

I appreciate your contributions.:)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I've just bought a jazz very good little van done about 800 mls now total mls 13000 no problems just little niggles check all paintwork 2.2 120HP engine year 2010 you won't get a much better van it suits my wife and me cost £30000

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Just found this !! typical of me !! how are you getting on with your Jazz have you used it over the colder months ? we have the 2013 Alto we love it and the fridge, it is so easy to just press that button when we stop no messing with gas lighting. We have a solar panel so being off grid is no problem and we had the refillable gas system installed from Auto Gas.
Im just missing going away as O.H wont use it in the winter months we just take it for a ride every couple of weeks.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello all,

Sorry I missed that this thread was still running.

To update we have done about 7,500 miles and overall like the van. we have had it out in the cold and it is very snug, much better than the old van.

I have a couple of niggles with the Swift aftercare service, typical of the large modern motorhome converter. Six months to approve warranty work! They told that my fridge was not installed by them as they do not deal in Waeco compression fridges. Odd that as the vehicle was bought brand new from a dealer and we have the exact model of fridge described in the handbook!

My main issue is with the bed. Does anyone know how the cushion is supposed to fit at the end of the bed? It seems to squeeze between the drivers seat and the main bed. However this means it is not secure and liable to fall down. The bed then is the standard 6' which is a bit small for me.

Ronidog

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi well if Swift didn't install the fridge who the heck did? we also bought our Alto new and the Waeco fridge comes as standard we weren't given a choice, we thankfully haven't had a problem YET !! did you get the matter resolved in if yes who sorted it?

Sorry cant help with the bed question as ours if fitted at the rear and we have never used the front smaller bed, we leave the infills in the loft. We dont have a problem with ours lengthwise as we are both under 6' ( Im well under 5',2 lol)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hello all,

Sorry I missed that this thread was still running.

To update we have done about 7,500 miles and overall like the van. we have had it out in the cold and it is very snug, much better than the old van.

I have a couple of niggles with the Swift aftercare service, typical of the large modern motorhome converter. Six months to approve warranty work! They told that my fridge was not installed by them as they do not deal in Waeco compression fridges. Odd that as the vehicle was bought brand new from a dealer and we have the exact model of fridge described in the handbook!

My main issue is with the bed. Does anyone know how the cushion is supposed to fit at the end of the bed? It seems to squeeze between the drivers seat and the main bed. However this means it is not secure and liable to fall down. The bed then is the standard 6' which is a bit small for me.

Ronidog
Actually Swift do NOT install Waeco fridges BUT Autocruise, who are part of the Swift group, and who made the Jazz do - AFAIA they still make them at the factory in Grimsby (North Lincs) so not at the main Swift factory in Cottingham (East Yorkshire) which is the opposite side of the river Humber (a stone's throw from me!). It would appear that you got some numpty who didn't know that Autocruise install Waeco fridges in some of their van conversions!

As for the bed - I found this comment on a review of the Jazz:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30009-autocruise-jazz

Sleeping
Pleated windscreen and insulated side-screen blinds do the job of cabin privacy at night. The RIB seat squab rotates through 180 degrees, and the seat back through 90 degrees to create a flat and comfortable, if rather narrow, double bed. The wardrobe is sited above the foot end of the bed, which is fine, although a rather pointless infill cushion slots into place at the head of the bed to extend the sleeping area to 2m (6’5”). The trouble is that it rests on the cab seat pedestals*, and without being hard backed gives way at the slightest pressure.

* Reading another review you have to turn the seats to face the front (ie travelling position) to be able to rest the cushion on it though - perhaps by making a piece of boarding to put in place first as a base then rest the cushion on top would solve the problem?

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks MinxyGirl and MadgeD for your comments.

Indeed the van is a Swift Autocruise Jazz. My problem with the fridge is that the fridge switches to the vehicle battery when travelling. Therefore each time you stop the 12v system has to be turned on for the fridge to work. IT is irritating and as I always forget. On long hot journeys like we had last year many a time my ice cream and fish fingers have melted with other fresh foods suffering. I had exactly the same fridge in my previous van. It stayed on I turned it off. Neither Swift/Autocruise or their local Service Agent had experienced this fridge before and therefore could not say how it should work. I gave up in the end and put a reminder to myself on the dash board.

I di get my loose internal panels fixed after a six month wait whilst Swift approved the work and the service agent found time for non profitable warrant work! (his words)

I will have a look at the two ideas above regarding the bed and see what I can do . Thanks for looking that up.

Regards

Ronidog

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Even with our 3-way fridge we still have to turn it to gas when we stop, so no different to you - you just have it a bit easier though as for you it's just a single switch whereas we have to mess about pressing a button and turning a knob at the same time! The only alternative is an AES (automatic energy selection) fridge which I don't think you can get in a purely electric fridge.

The only benefit we now have is that as ours is a foreign make van (Globecar) the control panel doesn't go off when the ignition is on, which is what all more modern UK ones do as there's supposed to be some IMV out of date 'directive' that dictates this to be the case - when we had our Autocruise Accent it used to drive me absolutely NUTS as you could bet that I'd go to the loo and then find that I'd forgotten to turn on the control panel and water beforehand, it was even worse if we'd been travelling at night and then had to grope around (stop it you smutty lot!) trying to find the control panel and then the lighting button on it to get any light into the rear of the van!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I thought the whole idea of these 3 way fridges is that they automatically select the strongest power source ? Our does.... There surely should be no need to manually switch it over ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I thought the whole idea of these 3 way fridges is that they automatically select the strongest power source ? Our does.... There surely should be no need to manually switch it over ?
Not all 3-way fridges are AES type, ours is manual, it depends on the manufacturer and the model as to whether it's standard or not.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Thanks MinxyGirl and MadgeD for your comments.

Indeed the van is a Swift Autocruise Jazz. My problem with the fridge is that the fridge switches to the vehicle battery when travelling. Therefore each time you stop the 12v system has to be turned on for the fridge to work. IT is irritating and as I always forget. On long hot journeys like we had last year many a time my ice cream and fish fingers have melted with other fresh foods suffering. I had exactly the same fridge in my previous van. It stayed on I turned it off. Neither Swift/Autocruise or their local Service Agent had experienced this fridge before and therefore could not say how it should work. I gave up in the end and put a reminder to myself on the dash board.

I di get my loose internal panels fixed after a six month wait whilst Swift approved the work and the service agent found time for non profitable warrant work! (his words)

I will have a look at the two ideas above regarding the bed and see what I can do . Thanks for looking that up.

Regards

Ronidog

What you are complaining about is the very thing I like about the fridge ! as soon as we stop anywhere it is my job to press the button on the control panel , hubby has put a red light on the fridge switch on the wall so at a glance I can see if it is working. It soon came as second nature to me especially when I know I have lots of things in the freezer.

Hubby always reminds me as well so its only maybe once or twice I havent done it, and yes as Minxi says if you have done this you can remember to switch the pump on for the loo at the same time.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
My complaint was that neither Swift nor it service agent could not tell me how the fridge worked or could even be bothered t find out. I queried the set up of the system as the switching procedure was not mentioned in the manual. As I said above I had a compression fridge in the last van that stayed on. If the electric regulations had changed to stop this then that could have been simply explained and I would have been a happy bunny

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
It must have been in one of the manuals RO as us old foggies couldnt have done it :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back