Austrian ski resorts closing on March 15th (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Extract from FCO information.

There is an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) in China, but cases have been confirmed in other countries, including Austria. The Austrian government has announced a range of restrictions on travel and events. Ski resorts will close on 15 March in Tyrol, Salzburg and Vorarlberg provinces. Accommodation in the ski resorts will close on 16 March. You should contact your tour operator or airline for more information

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
URL for further reading

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
State of emergency announced in Spain, so who knows!

I'm all over this as we are in the process of changing two cycling holidays we have booked. One to Majorca and one to Cyprus.

Just been advised by FCO that we can go to Cyprus but need to self quarantine for 14 days when we arrive! Aye right!

About time the FCO started being a bit more aggressive with travel advice so holiday companies and insurance companies can't hide behind the FCO get out clause of FCO hasn't said don't travel so 'on your bike' (excuse the pun!)

End of mini rant!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
FRANCE
The numbers: 1,784 cases – 33 deaths.

Foreign Office: Does not advise against travel to France.

In France, ski areas remain open, though new laws brought in to limit gatherings of over 1,000 people have led to ski resorts cancelling music festivals and/or adapting their activities to deal with this new guidance. If you are travelling for an event, such as Snowboxx, make sure to check beforehand on its status.

However, it’s important to remember that the lockdown situation in Italy may affect your holiday if you are due to fly into an Italian airport.

Crystal Ski Holidays’ latest advice states that “Following a change in Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice, we are no longer able to operate our holidays to Italy for the remainder of this ski season. This includes our resorts to France that fly into Turin – Les Orres, Montgenèvre and Serre Chevalier.”

So if you have booked a holiday in a French resort, it’s worth double checking where you are due to fly if you’ve not heard anything yet.

AUSTRIA
The numbers: 206 cases – 0 deaths

Foreign Office: No travel warning in place

In terms of risk, Austria is probably one of the safest places to ski right now, with no reported deaths in the country thus far and no travel warnings from the FCO.

However, a ban on indoor events of 100+ and outdoor events of 500+ has been announced in Austria, and certain resorts are bringing in their own measures to combat the spread of Coronavirus. Ischgl is reportedly set to close its après-ski bars after news of over 30 cases in the Tyrol region, including some in the resort itself. Nevertheless, the Austrian Department of Health has stated that Tirol is currently not considered a high-risk area.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A friend with a friend who owns a chalet in Morzine reports that they have been advised of lift and slope closures this weekend. My friend is also collecting her son from Les Arcs after a season there, closing next weekend. This is from a reputable friend but obviously depends on how accurate the info is from resort. I have no reason to doubt. Looks like my L2A trip in 3 weeks is gonna be a no go.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Well it’s open for now at least so we’re going.
Website says open till government says not. I’ll post anything I hear for you or anyone else heading that way.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One of the boss's friends flew out to Italy just over a week ago for a 10 day sking holiday, she was back home 24 hours later.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I left France yesterday les menuires..

Was all open but of course can change in an instant...

Was a good 10 days but bloody hell it was hot, was skiing in 20 plus degrees.. snow was ok for the large part but getting very thin...probably best to just knock it on the head.
Austria has and ive heard the snows really poor now anyway.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
I left France yesterday les menuires..

Was all open but of course can change in an instant...

Was a good 10 days but bloody hell it was hot, was skiing in 20 plus degrees.. snow was ok for the large part but getting very thin...probably best to just knock it on the head.
Austria has and ive heard the snows really poor now anyway.
You see, you’ve made the fatal mistake there of over emphasising the need for snow, when you should in fact have been checking for beer deliveries in that location. No skiing = beer time. No beer= abject misery.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Well well well. Here we are in Samoëns but the slightly late departure from the uk allowed us to be just getting on the plane as Mr Macron decided to shut his country. So now I have a lovely view of the mountains that I can’t visit or ski amateurishly down. It’s the worst holiday nightmare. Would have been happy to cancel while in the airport but his timing was too good. He got me.
Now a fat switching fee later, we will come back on Tuesday slightly poorer.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well well well. Here we are in Samoëns but the slightly late departure from the uk allowed us to be just getting on the plane as Mr Macron decided to shut his country. So now I have a lovely view of the mountains that I can’t visit or ski amateurishly down. It’s the worst holiday nightmare. Would have been happy to cancel while in the airport but his timing was too good. He got me.

Its a bugger isn’t it?

I think lots of people’s holiday plans are going to be ruined this year.

We have 3 holidays booked for Spain ( or it’s territories) between Easter and July and I suspect none will go ahead:(

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
Went out to Davos on Thursday. Skiing in a mostly empty resort on Friday which was brilliant. Resort closes on Saturday morning now back home. Not sure what to make of it all but after catching up with the news I think I’m happy to be back.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp

Pheew we decided to pull the plug just about to board the ferry on Sun morning, how lucky was that. I hope you keep in good spirit.
1584298722596.png

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
We were lucky, got our trip to Les Arcs at February half term, just as issues were hitting the Italian resorts.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
We were lucky, got our trip to Les Arcs at February half term, just as issues were hitting the Italian resorts.
I was at Les Arcs half term week must have missed you, were you in the motorhone , chalet, or top class hotel

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
I was at Les Arcs half term week must have missed you, were you in the motorhone , chalet, or top class hotel
We were in our Camper at Bourg Saint Maurice(Hutopia) I guess you experienced the motorway carpark then!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
We were in our Camper at Bourg Saint Maurice(Hutopia) I guess you experienced the motorway carpark then!
YES we normaly take the back road D220 from Les Arcs , towards Vallandry and drop down, but seeing the traffic on the N90, it would have been the best bet, but unfortunately my daughter had ski accident and felt unwell travelling so i joned the car park masses. I was able to stay in vehicle slowly moving up while the crew went off for coffee , toilet break and food ect , took hours for 2 mile stretch.

Oct 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
New MH but campervan owner for a couple of years
Small world - was also at Huttopia at half term with the kids - their first time skiing and our first time with the moho skiing. we had a great time and will def return. Also met an ex colleague who was staying there with his family.

But we did experience the car park.... dont recall seeing any accidents, so wondering if the jam was just volume of traffic and worth considering leaving at a more off peak time?

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Wife is a teacher, so can't really get away outside of school holidays, that said... she works part time now so were able to get away earlier to give us more time to travel. I think the trick will be to leave the site on any other day than a Saturday!
Good skiing though... we may have actually seen you guys at Huttopia! We have skied for years but was the first time in a campervan and I must say, it worked perfectly for us, will definitely do it again when we are allowed!

Oct 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
New MH but campervan owner for a couple of years
Axeman - just checked your avatar - we were next to you at Huttopia and you joined us for tea and some of my dodgy home made cake!

You left much earlier than us on the Sat, how was the traffic for you?Think you have a point about leaving outside of the Saturday as we must have been delayed for 4 hours or so..... 🤦‍♂️

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Small world - was also at Huttopia at half term with the kids - their first time skiing and our first time with the moho skiing. we had a great time and will def return. Also met an ex colleague who was staying there with his family.

But we did experience the car park.... dont recall seeing any accidents, so wondering if the jam was just volume of traffic and worth considering leaving at a more off peak time?

you have to leave friday night or before 06.30 on Sat and Sun mornings this is because hotel, chalet , apartment day change overs. people need to be out of their accommodation before 10.00am and are aware the road gets packed, do not forget this is also the road that those from the 3 valleys ski resort join into.
Have you looked at the other ski sites suitable for motorhome parking, Les Gets motorhome park site right at bottom of a lift and red run. Morillon has a site just across from the lift.

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Axeman - just checked your avatar - we were next to you at Huttopia and you joined us for tea and some of my dodgy home made cake!

You left much earlier than us on the Sat, how was the traffic for you?Think you have a point about leaving outside of the Saturday as we must have been delayed for 4 hours or so..... 🤦‍♂️
Yes, I remember, and from what I recall... very nice cake!
Hope we didn't wake you up too badly when we left, did you catch the awful winds driving up to Calais?
We lost our sun canopy on the motorway in the wind. A bit of your MH attached!
Steve/Siân.

Attachments

• 20200219_081429.jpg
    20200219_081429.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries