Austrian Grand Prix (1 Viewer)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
I am going to the Austrian Grand Prix in June ,has anyone got any tips , advice as this our first GP .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Take loads of €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ and convince yourself it's worth it.

We'll be doing the same at end of May, and hopefully it will be worth every €. Just paid £221 for the tickets.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
IMHO the GP isn't value for money neither is the Motorola GP​

Try the TT on the I O M
Now that's expensive but better value :):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Not really about the money , more the experience . Atmosphere in the campsite etc .

Reactions: f6c
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I am going to the Austrian Grand Prix in June ,has anyone got any tips , advice as this our first GP .
I'm a regular. PM me anything you want to know - that way you'll avoid all the naysayers who'll be quick to jump in with their "helpful" comments

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
But for the sake of the forum...

It can be wet and often is. Camp sites easily get waterlogged so be conscious of this when selecting your spot.

There are not really any official camp sites but everything is above board. You can just turn up without booking and find a spot. Prices start at 10 Euro per night. Some are an easy walk to the circuit some are a bus ride.

If you have grandstand seat remember there are several gates and some may be closer to your stand. You may also be able to camp near to your gate.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Food at the track is a bit rough it's easy to take a packed lunch with you in a backpack. In the backpack have a sunglasses, a hat and a cagoule.

You can get 3G at the circuit so you can listen to BBC 5 live and get a (delayed commentary) on race day. Tannoy at the track is 70% French 20% English 10% WTF

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The camping F1 http://www.campingf1.com/events/austria_grand_prix site is quite a distance from the circuit and you can hang around waiting for buses. There are no taxis, nor anything else within a walk. It's marketed as the very best but I'd suggest something closer to the circuit.

OP
OP
I
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you everyone so far .

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Never done Austria, so don't know the layouts there. However, F1 official campsites are usually a field somewhere near the track. They get very full very quickly, oh and don't expect too much sleep, the parties and fireworks will go on until the early hours in the morning.

A cheap portable BBQ is a handy thing to have packed into the van, and there is almost certainly no hook up, so consider a generator if this is important. Remember to hide the petrol cans when you go on the ferry (not that I have ever done that :whistle:).

If you have a weekend pass, you qualify for a pit walk, not worth it in my opinion, the pit lane is too busy, and the popular drivers don't stay out that long. Do get to the campsite as early as possible on the thursday, you can pick your spot then (try to be uphill, for when it rains, you won't get stuck if you have gravity on your side). Don't leave the site on Sunday, wait until Monday morning, you can then spend Sunday evening with a beer watching the worlds biggest traffic jam!

Track food and drink is hideously expensive and pretty inedible, stock up the van, and take a picnic backpack with you. Beware though, some circuits do not allow you to take metal or glass containers into the circuit (Barcelona is one).

Buy a small pair of binoculars, and a portable radio with earphones. The big screens aren't big enough, and the track side commentary will be drowned out by the crowd. I believe all the tracks have a radio channel that the commentary is broadcast on.

Final point, enjoy it, it's the best experience, and the start, when all the cars do the first lap is unbelievable!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Once you have done one, watch all the others on television!
You will see a lot more and a lot cheaper.
Terry

Spot on from the racing point of view.

But we are going to Mugello for the atmosphere, to feel the passion for racing. This needs to be done occasionally. We'll probably watch the racing when we get to the campsite on Garda on the Monday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back