Austria and go boxes. Why do they make it so hard?? (1 Viewer)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Planning a trip to Croatia. Have sent off application for a go box to get us through tolls in Austria as we are >3.5t . 2008 Fiat Autotrail. We are classed as a Euro IV by age of vehicle (which France and Germany are happy to accept)
Austria however want proof of our emissions category. It is not stated on any of our paperwork. Any advice as to where I get proof? How much is that likely to cost me ?

Cannot believe that the letter actually says that if we don't provide this info by 16th October our application will be cancelled and you cannot reapply.!
Is it really worth the hassle? Did not intend stopping in Austria, just wanted the shortest route through and its a long way round avoiding it all together.
I know it is possible to get through without using tolls but don't want to end up with the stress of meeting one of those >3.5 t vehicles not allowed signs.
Any help or advice appreciated or it may well back to the drawing board and go somewhere else!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
It's not difficult!!! Buy at the border or at a garage en route, they all display signs that they sell them. Follow the instructions and it's simple!
As for proving your emissions rating, no idea as my van is 2005 therefore goes on the basic non discounted rate, but sort that and it's really straightforward. Remember to email the proof to the address in the instructions within the time limit stated in the instructions. It's all in the instructions, folk who fail to do this are the ones who complain!

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Can you not just buy at the border?
I believe you can buy at border but unless you have emissions certificate they charge you at highest rate . What I need to know is where I can get a certificate from ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I believe you can buy at border but unless you have emissions certificate they charge you at highest rate . What I need to know is where I can get a certificate from ?
Is it not just your V5?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
What I need to know is where I can get a certificate from ?
You get your Diesel Emission Test Results with your current MOT Certificate.
When your van is MOT'd they have to perform the emission test.
You get an A4 document with all the test results on it.
Check where you last had your MOT and ask for a copy.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Just an afterthought, we have driven Stuttgart to Salzburg, Salzburg to Hungary and never came across ANY tolls.
Maybe we were just lucky.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The way things are going well have a windscreen full of little plastic tags to be able to drive anywhere in Europe

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I dont think the mot emission test result will be of much use unless your vehicle is a low euro standard , and even then I would be doubtful that will be acceptable . To get a lez cert (special form) its a different test spec for hgv with approved retro dpf fitted , or its euro5 min .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been across Austria 4 times in the last couple of years never used toll roads never found it a problem.

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
You get your Diesel Emission Test Results with your current MOT Certificate.
When your van is MOT'd they have to perform the emission test.
You get an A4 document with all the test results on it.
Check where you last had your MOT and ask for a copy.
Sorry for delay in response . Been away and no internet. We have that document with all the figures on but Austrians won't accept that as it doesn't state Euro emissions category .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You need to contact DVLA and ask them to put on your V5,or get your dealer to get Autotrail to supply you with the a cert of conformity as completing builder as Fiat dont issue (incomplete vehicle) . Or you can go expensive route get a dpf fitted (of approved type for your vehicle) and have a LEC smoke test which would gain you access to controlled zones thruout EU

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The Austrians are a pain in the arse. I really don't understand why they want to dissuade tourism.

However I have transited Austria several times without going on the motorways so not needed either. It just requires a bit of old fashioned planning and map reading. You can also put the satnav on avoid tolls as an aide.

However if you do decide to get a go box the emissions certificate will have to be supplied by the manufacturer - Autotrail in this case. They should be able to email it to you.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back