Australian Family looking for Uk swap (1 Viewer)

P

petebraisby

Deleted User
Hi All, We are motorhoming around Australia, have been for 12 months and are Loving it. Australia has lots of FREE camping spots that are included in one Map book that has been OUR bible! We have a 40' Motorhome towing a small 4wd and we live very comfortably!:Cool:

Does anyone want or know of anyone who would like to do a swap for 1-4 months UK-Australia ?
Our Motorhome has 1 double bed and 3 bunks, large shower and flush toilet, Full Kitchen;Fan forced oven, Gas 4 burner Hob, Microvave, Built in leather dining seats and marble look table and bench tops. Power from4 huge house batteries and solar and generator if needed(we have used it once.) Washing machine, freezer and 2 fridges. LCD TV DVD suround sound. 1000l fresh water, 400l grey water 200l black water Tanks.
If you have an interest at all you can email for more info petebraisby@westnet.com.au

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Pete,

nice idea in theory.

we had another australian guy asking about buying, not hiring/swapping, in the uk then selling again when he went back to oz.

biggest stumbling block was the insurance, you need a UK address. not an hotel or guest house but a private address.

also you cant normally get insurance if the vehicle isnt registered in your name.

i think you will also need a UK/European issued driving licence.

i know none of this applies if you hire a car from the airport ect but that is a different type of insurance.

my bro in law lives in melbourne and he just rang his insurance company and gave them my details.........job done, but it doesnt work so easily in the UK

im sure somewhere out there an insurance co will be able to help but finding one is a different matter.

best thing would be to ask around in oz and find out how others have got around it. i know a lot of aussy students do it so there must be a way.

good luck.
john.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
hi Pete,

nice idea in theory.

biggest stumbling block was the insurance, you need a UK address. not an hotel or guest house but a private address.

also you cant normally get insurance if the vehicle isnt registered in your name.

john.
Not so sure about that John. A guy at my workplace who is a fanatical biker and longed to tour 'oz', did exactly the same as what Pete is hoping to do.

He did an exchange visit with an Australian biker couple who wanted to tour the UK. They came here and John loaned his bikes to them, then the following year John and his wife flew out to 'oz', met up again with this couple who returned the favour by loaning them their bikes. All worked out perfectly.

I think a lot depends on the insurance company you are with. It would need insuring for another named driver, the amount of which would be paid by the person using the bike/vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi All, We are motorhoming around Australia, have been for 12 months and are Loving it. Australia has lots of FREE camping spots that are included in one Map book that has been OUR bible! We have a 40' Motorhome towing a small 4wd and we live very comfortably!:Cool:

Does anyone want or know of anyone who would like to do a swap for 1-4 months UK-Australia ?
Our Motorhome has 1 double bed and 3 bunks, large shower and flush toilet, Full Kitchen;Fan forced oven, Gas 4 burner Hob, Microvave, Built in leather dining seats and marble look table and bench tops. Power from4 huge house batteries and solar and generator if needed(we have used it once.) Washing machine, freezer and 2 fridges. LCD TV DVD suround sound. 1000l fresh water, 400l grey water 200l black water Tanks.
If you have an interest at all you can email for more info petebraisby@westnet.com.au

Hi I think this is great idea and if I wasnt so busy with work i would take your arm off. Ok there are problems to get over,insurance etc but nothing that cant be overcome. The best of luck to you. I'm certain that its a good idea.

Cheers

Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not so sure about that John. A guy at my workplace who is a fanatical biker and longed to tour 'oz', did exactly the same as what Pete is hoping to do.

He did an exchange visit with an Australian biker couple who wanted to tour the UK. They came here and John loaned his bikes to them, then the following year John and his wife flew out to 'oz', met up again with this couple who returned the favour by loaning them their bikes. All worked out perfectly.

I think a lot depends on the insurance company you are with. It would need insuring for another named driver, the amount of which would be paid by the person using the bike/vehicle.

this is exactly what i meant by....ask around people you know....they may have done it and got over the obsticles.

i can put any driver (over 25) on my ins for 2 weeks but they must have held a full ,clean ,UK licence for 2 years or more.

just a case of finding out how others have done it.....:thumb:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
You will also need an appropriate class of licence. A three-axle coach will need at least a Heavy Rigid licence and a two axle will require a light rigid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back