Australia (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Last trip to Australia we did this route in a Jayco Conquest RV.
7,200 Ks (actually twas about 7,350 Ks on final calcs.
Best trip we have done in a RV. Cannot wait to get back as i have a similar slightly longer route to do.
20190219_174104.jpg

Going to put up half a doz pics of some of the stops en route when i get a spare couple of hours.............yes it takes me that long.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Last trip to Australia we did this route in a Jayco Conquest RV.
7,200 Ks (actually twas about 7,350 Ks on final calcs.
Best trip we have done in a RV. Cannot wait to get back as i have a similar slightly longer route to do.
View attachment 459231
Going to put up half a doz pics of some of the stops en route when i get a spare couple of hours.............yes it takes me that long.
You missed the “skimpies” in Kalgoorlie

Top Dog

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
None at present
Exp
David has 6 years experience as a full-timer in Australia (2002-2008). RV: "Winnebago Longreach".
Having spent a wonderful 6 years in Aus as a full-timer, I can understand your enthusiasm for wanting to return. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, I'm sure it will bring back a lot of old memories for me!

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Having spent a wonderful 6 years in Aus as a full-timer, I can understand your enthusiasm for wanting to return. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, I'm sure it will bring back a lot of old memories for me!
We have been at least 10 times over the years. Never get bored with it. Been to the Top End, bottom, full distance of the East Coast and we have relatives in Perth on the West Coast so always start or finish there.
Ashamed to say not been to Alice or Ullaru as yet. They are on the list for the next trip.
Love it.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Very very remote places , and potentially dangerous ( if not precautions taken) for sure , the most isolate I went to was goose bluff , I was most pleased the authorities have stopped the climb on the rock !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Very very remote places , and potentially dangerous ( if not precautions taken) for sure , the most isolate I went to was goose bluff , I was most pleased the authorities have stopped the climb on the rock !
Quite true. We have done some very minor outback roads. Not black top but hard packed and a good bit of traffic, say 1 or 2 cars or trucks per half hour or so. They will always stop and assist should you need.
Vast majority of our miles were on tarmac as you are not allowed to take a rental RV off the black stuff.
We were told how terrifying The Nullabor Plains were. No issues whatsoever. Once again plenty of traffic (not to UK levels of course) and Petrol/service stations every couple hundred Ks.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
We were still in Australia 3 years ago today , I was brought up in Adelaide so have family there inc my dad , went for a 2 month holiday , flew to cairns then slowly drove down to Adelaide , hope You don’t mind me posting some Picts
ps my RC helicopter went with me

first 2 were north of port Douglas , the last was cairns in the evening when the fruit bats went out to play

A2A7E54A-1B00-43B2-9305-7615AA9C4082.jpeg
E575F57E-969F-409D-A6B5-1D54C1BDED09.jpeg
5D99E992-693F-4A57-BBED-58872C0CA16A.jpeg

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Besides outback roads , the weather has got to be taken into account especially during the’ wet ‘

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We were still in Australia 3 years ago today , I was brought up in Adelaide so have family there inc my dad , went for a 2 month holiday , flew to cairns then slowly drove down to Adelaide , hope You don’t mind me posting some Picts

first 2 were north of port Douglas , the last was cairns in the evening when the fruit bats went out to play

View attachment 459271View attachment 459272View attachment 459273
Post pics away. I will be when i can be bothered.
Port Douglas, love it. Great pub there. think it's called The Tin Hut or Shed or similar. Great grub i remember.
Great pics.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
For Info.
Just south of Margaret River is a superb spot called Hamelin Bay. Been twice and paddled with the Rays. Told they are there nearly all summer. Natural experience, no theme park nonsense.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
The first picture & this one is where Steve irwin was killed with the sting ray

5887F901-4B4F-4716-9FFD-309274B10D24.jpeg

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We have been at least 10 times over the years. Never get bored with it. Been to the Top End, bottom, full distance of the East Coast and we have relatives in Perth on the West Coast so always start or finish there.
Ashamed to say not been to Alice or Ullaru as yet. They are on the list for the next trip.
Love it.
We emigrated to Perth last October , it’s great living without restrictions

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Wish we have done that years ago when at Woomera/Melbourne with the RN ?
Could have transferred to the RAN shortly after like others did.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Thought you were back on 5 day lockdown?
Mrs CCs sister emigrated to Perth a few years back and when they spoke Monday her husband was out trying to track down some petrol for the car.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Thought you were back on 5 day lockdown?
Mrs CCs sister emigrated to Perth a few years back and when they spoke Monday her husband was out trying to track down some petrol for the car.
Yes one case with a hotel quarantine guard came out of lockdown last night , first case in the community in WA for 10 months

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We have been going to Brisbane every five years to visit managements sister and family. Until the last two trips we havnt done as much as I would have liked because of having the kids with us and the need to be with the relatives.
We have managed Aires Rock for week and a couple of short trips. Last time we couldn’t do a lot due to the fires.
We hired a motorhome in New Zealand so our next trip will include hiring a motorhome in Australia. I fancied looking at the south coast some were.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We have been going to Brisbane every five years to visit managements sister and family. Until the last two trips we havnt done as much as I would have liked because of having the kids with us and the need to be with the relatives.
We have managed Aires Rock for week and a couple of short trips. Last time we couldn’t do a lot due to the fires.
We hired a motorhome in New Zealand so our next trip will include hiring a motorhome in Australia. I fancied looking at the south coast some were.
If you are doing the South Coast an obvious bit would be The Great Ocean Road starting at Torquay up to Warrnambool stopping at a few of the places along the way. Simply stunning.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
That’s what I was looking at bobnick. I had thought of fly in to Adelaide and work our way up to Brisbane via the Great Ocean Road.
Time and distance didn’t seem to be difficult in New Zealand but it always throws me in Australia. A day out from Brisbane didn’t seem to get us as far as I thought it would. Another simple thing was trying to buy a decent road atlas to plan our days out.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
That’s what I was looking at bobnick. I had thought of fly in to Adelaide and work our way up to Brisbane via the Great Ocean Road.
Time and distance didn’t seem to be difficult in New Zealand but it always throws me in Australia. A day out from Brisbane didn’t seem to get us as far as I thought it would. Another simple thing was trying to buy a decent road atlas to plan our days out.
Can't remember the name of a set of maps i bought as they are back at home. Each state and large scale, great for planning. If can remember before i get home i will advise. Other than that give me a reminder early March.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

View attachment 459271View attachment 459272View attachment 459273
Great pic.
Forgot to mention. On my very first trip to Australia i drove from Sydney to PD over a period of 14 day's on my own. Went to do a rekki to see if family would like it.
At Cairns i did the A.J.Hackett Bungy Jump off the bridge. Think it was near Katoomba (few years ago now so bit vague).

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
20190203_065756[1].jpg
IMG-20190124-WA0002[1].jpg

Have to fill up when you can. This was a builders yard in some outback town. They sell as a convenience as the nearest petrol station was about 70Ks away.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
We should have been going back to Oz this March to spend time with my (and meanders) youngest brother and SIL who live south of Perth. We were there two years ago and made plans to visit again this year and for the four of us to hire a RV and travel along the coast to the Northern Territory and back. I am afraid that CV19 has put those plans on hold. :madder:

God only knows when we will be able to get there again!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back