May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sorry I forgot a rough costing.
Well the journey to Australia was via Dubai and Bangkok. We stayed in a hotel in Bangkok for 2 nights the in another when we arrived in Sydney. The motorhome hire was an all inclusive deal for 9 weeks.
After the motorhome trip we had 4 nights at a very nice hotel at Harbour Rocks next to the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. On the return journey we had three nights in Bangkok and an unexpected night in Dubai after our flight connection didn't connect.
All this was arranged by The C&CC at at cost of £9400. I must say we had NOTHING to complain about as they arrangeed everything very well.
Our fuel, food and campsites plus a little spending money worked out at £3000. You must realise that our weekly shop was more than double the cost at home. Campsites were slightly cheaper and just as good without the regimental attitude now found in the UK. Diesel worked out at about £1 per litre.
If any funsters would like to contribute to our trip please feel free to send me a cheque, I'm sure Jim will be the first, even though it will be blank.
Wilf

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Wilf. Thank you for that useful information. How many miles did you manage in the 9 weeks please? Did you head North of Sydney at all or keep to the South?

I am terribly tempted........
We only went North of Sydney as far as Newcastle, about 100 miles. Most advice we received suggested south as the hot and humid weather would have started in the North. We're glad we took everyone's advice as we only had two wet days out of our 63 days travelling. Some nights were very cold and our single beds became a double to keep warm. There wasn't any heating in the van but we managed ok. In total we covered 4500 miles and averaged 31mpg, not bad for a dodgy automatic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We couldn't believe the price of food when we were there , and that was over 10 years ago. :whatthe:
Because we were going to emigrate there we didn't do much touristy stuff. Apart from the wineries in the south. That would have been rude not to! Though you could buy the wine cheaper in Asda than from the actual vineyard :RollEyes: How mad is that?
We were more interested chatting to builders , and fellow Brits who'd made the move and who we'd arranged to meet up with, from over here. Which we did.
We shopped more or less every other day. In the various towns and locations we visited. Used local shops and large supermarkets .
We found the only thing cheaper more or less was lamb and big prawns.

Infact once up in the Adelaide hills we stopped at an equivalent of Greggs, buying a couple of cream buns to go , like the elephants foot Brit ones. Ralph nearly had a fit when she wanted the equivalent of about £7 :rofl:

Bananas , and cauliflower and broccoli were extortionate as were things like cereals. We weren't even looking for British food just normal everyday Aussie branded items.

We said we'd love to go back again for a holiday. Plus we would hire a Motorhome again too, you can see so much in such a short space of time as we all know.
I think as long as anyone going is prepared for the cost of food and drink and you budget for it your ok.

Doesn't it drop cold on a night though.
You don't expect to have your hair standing up on your head and a cold nose in bed , in Oz :doh:
Fortunately we had heating. But it made such a racket rattling and scraping , we only had it on before we got into bed.
We went the end of our summer their spring.
I wouldnt use the same hire company again though. (See previous post. )
I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone either.
Our PVC went back cleaner than we hired it. To say what they charged to hire it we weren't impressed . Your charged extra for things like camping chairs, tables, extra sets of bedding etc. They are not included in the fee. I left feedback on their website and it received a very snotty response. Much as we did when we refused the first vehicle they tried to give us. We ended up paying more and getting a supposedly better model too.
I'd recommend anyone thinking of touring over there to do it. We'd love to do Canada :cooler:

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We couldn't believe the price of food when we were there , and that was over 10 years ago. :whatthe:
Because we were going to emigrate there we didn't do much touristy stuff. Apart from the wineries in the south. That would have been rude not to! Though you could buy the wine cheaper in Asda than from the actual vineyard :RollEyes: How mad is that?
We were more interested chatting to builders , and fellow Brits who'd made the move and who we'd arranged to meet up with, from over here. Which we did.
We shopped more or less every other day. In the various towns and locations we visited. Used local shops and large supermarkets .
We found the only thing cheaper more or less was lamb and big prawns.

Infact once up in the Adelaide hills we stopped at an equivalent of Greggs, buying a couple of cream buns to go , like the elephants foot Brit ones. Ralph nearly had a fit when she wanted the equivalent of about £7 :rofl:

Bananas , and cauliflower and broccoli were extortionate as were things like cereals. We weren't even looking for British food just normal everyday Aussie branded items.

We said we'd love to go back again for a holiday. Plus we would hire a Motorhome again too, you can see so much in such a short space of time as we all know.
I think as long as anyone going is prepared for the cost of food and drink and you budget for it your ok.

Doesn't it drop cold on a night though.
You don't expect to have your hair standing up on your head and a cold nose in bed , in Oz :doh:
Fortunately we had heating. But it made such a racket rattling and scraping , we only had it on before we got into bed.
We went the end of our summer their spring.
I wouldnt use the same hire company again though. (See previous post. )
I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone either.
Our PVC went back cleaner than we hired it. To say what they charged to hire it we weren't impressed . Your charged extra for things like camping chairs, tables, extra sets of bedding etc. They are not included in the fee. I left feedback on their website and it received a very snotty response. Much as we did when we refused the first vehicle they tried to give us. We ended up paying more and getting a supposedly better model too.
I'd recommend anyone thinking of touring over there to do it. We'd love to do Canada :cooler:

I agree with all your comments and the hire vans are generally a disgrace for the price. We are at the moment studying Canada for next year and of course it will be motorhome hire once again.
Three years ago we did New Zealand which was fantastic. We booked everything ourselves and had a lot of trouble with the hire company and the vans. In 10 weeks we went through 3 vans, they all fell apart from beds to no brakes. Since then we have decided to let someone else do the arranging and if things go wrong we stand a better chance of having it sorted.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Apollo seemed to be the best company when we were there. Makes you wonder what the others are like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back