Australia and NZ (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
Has anyone ever looked into cost of taking a Motorhome over to Australia and or NZ to do some touring?
It’s something that’s crossed my mind but I have no idea of the cost or possibilities of doing it?
Be really interested in your replies.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
For comparison I’d get some rental prices too.
Our 2nd motorhome trip was a three week tour of the north island in a local rental. We loved it but it was mid 2005 so my pricing would be less useful. 🤷‍♂️

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In addition to the actual cost of transporting the van, one has to add an
amount to cover the deep cleaning necessary to cover the whole of the van,
inside and outside, (including underneath and wheel arches)

Having done that, the van would have to be low loaded to the port because they would
find enough UK muck to charge you another arm and leg when it gets there.

Also bear in mind that OZ for certain has strict rules regarding how long one can stay as a tourist.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We had plans to spend February next year touriing NZ, North and South in a rented motorhome.

Cost was £7000+. Including flights.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Has anyone ever looked into cost of taking a Motorhome over to Australia and or NZ to do some touring?
It’s something that’s crossed my mind but I have no idea of the cost or possibilities of doing it?
Be really interested in your replies.
Contact these for shipping costs https://www.seabridge-tours.de/en/home/
Look into issues re cleanliness of the MH for landing in Oz ( don't know about NZ)
6 month allowed in both I believe before due import tax etc and same with visitors visa's though later may be extendable.
Post back here any info you glean please!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We spent around 9 weeks in the North and South Island.

Rented a no frills self contained Moho.
It had everything we needed and never let us down.

I’d rather pay less for the Moho and spend more on seeing/doing things.
Also if it’s an older motor they arnt so precious about the old mark on it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You could also look into renting from an owner over in NZ.

Make sure you get a van that is self contained as you can wild camp that makes it a much nicer touring event.

We’ve set up amongst seals and on the edges of beaches.
Fantastic time 👍😊

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Do like the Aussie do over here when travelling buy a van and then sell at the end of your holiday as lo g as your not fussy on layout and equipment it's viable all you need can be bought at charity /thrift shops either sold with van or recycled by returning to charity

OP
OP
Teddy B
May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
We had plans to spend February next year touriing NZ, North and South in a rented motorhome.

Was that for just one month?

OP
OP
Teddy B
May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
We spent around 9 weeks in the North and South Island.

Rented a no frills self contained Moho.
It had everything we needed and never let us down.

I’d rather pay less for the Moho and spend more on seeing/doing things.
Also if it’s an older motor they arnt so precious about the old mark on it.
Was that in recent years?
Can u recommend a no frills company?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Just pre-pandemic, when my son (a business analyst) and his wife ('Something in the City') were considering emigrating to NZ they looked very deeply into taking their own m/h for a 3 month fact-finding tour in NZ, or hiring one, or buying one over there and selling it after the trip. They hired since it was the most cost-effective and least problematic option.
They've arranged to fly out to Australia on Boxing Day for another 3 months with a hired m/h.
(Sadly, they may have to delay the trip a week or two as her 93 yr old father died yesterday (250 miles away) so they will have to deal with her father's affairs and attend the funeral for which a date may not be available until after Christmas).

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If your going go for as long as possible,10 years ago we had just returned from an nine week ,11,000Km trip of North and South Island,well we'll probably never go back ☹️ 12 months of planning and research by OH resulted in an overall cost of £10,000. Not sure how she got the MH for £3,365 🙂

Happy days 🙂

A5BFE701-182B-4D2A-A375-B93AF5F41BF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
We used Wilderness back in 2011 and again in 2013. Excellent company , but hardly no frills. They have Burstner with high spec but also some PLC s
edit PVC s

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I cannot believe it was 10 years ago we went. 6 weeks around North and South Islands NZ. It was about £11,000 but that included Maui 4 berth rental, business class flights both ways, a 3 night stop over hotel in Hong Kong and the ferry between islands.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Check the exchange net work, sorry can't give you a link, It's there . Basically you swop your M/H here in the UK for one in NZ.
Few and far in between I know. Up to you how you trade, and for how long. bearing in mind Summer in NZ winter in UK! Arrange to go there in their summer they come here in their winter.

Trust!!! Is the elephant in the room!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
If you decide to rent locally …… we visited NZ in 2011 and rented from this company https://newzealandcampervanhire.co.nz/ which I’d recommend. They’re at the budget of the market, using older models previously owned by Kea Motorhomes who tend to hire fairly new models.
I do recall a kiwi posting on the CMHC forum some time ago proposing a MH swap with someone in the UK. I’m not sure what the outcome was, but it’s another option?

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Look at it quiet a while ago.
Australia very hard, to many hoops to jump through.
New Zealand easier and there are companies that can help with the process. Used to be that if you took a certain vehicle (autotrail for one) you could ship it, use it, sell it and recover all your costs plus in some cases a tidy profit. Met a few from NZ who come here and buy a new van to do the opposite and then ship it home.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
We bought a Nissan Civilian conversion on Trade Me (eBay in NZ) picked it up in Christchurch, used it for six months and the sold in Auckland.
We lost around £200 on the deal!
The exchange rate did work in our favour.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Was that in recent years?
Can u recommend a no frills company?

It was in 2016 think we paid around £3k all up with top insurance covering tyres etc.
1E3E3DD7-10B9-4563-9041-E1A1EF095D7D.jpeg

Not the best picture but you can just make out the hire company name.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Was that for just one month?

Seems a reasonable price. I would imagine a months holiday in NZ - car hire, hotels, flights would cost more than that. And you would save on food as you don't have to eat in restaurants every meal for a month.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
For comparison I’d get some rental prices too.
Our 2nd motorhome trip was a three week tour of the north island in a local rental. We loved it but it was mid 2005 so my pricing would be less useful. 🤷‍♂️
Out by a year. We went in 2004
And used the inappropriately named Walkabout Rentals

Broken Link Removed
I’d done some company research at the time but I don’t know how their prices would compare now.
The customer service was good and the Motorhome worked well.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We go to NZ regularly, in fact we’re going in Boxing Day, which will be our 9 visit. We have 2 sons there, we’ve found it cheaper to hire a small car and box B & Bs , lodges etc.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We did a month in NZ 3 weeks in a hired MH and and Christmas week in a hotel, though we loved the MH travelling, if we did it again I would hire a car and do B&Bs because if you use any camp grounds in NZ you are only going to meet up with fellow travellers and not many locals. The locals especially the vineyard owners are the most friendly and accommodating 🤪🤪

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We went to NZ in 2016 , car hire and BnBs , looked into MH hire but decided against it on cost and the flexibility that car hire and internal flights gave us and the fact that we were only there for three weeks ( due to work ) .
It is an amazing country and we are due to return in 2026 to celebrate a significant birthday for my wife . Hopefully to take in some international cricket also . 👍, will do car hire and BnBs again .

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Look at it quiet a while ago.
Australia very hard, to many hoops to jump through.
New Zealand easier and there are companies that can help with the process. Used to be that if you took a certain vehicle (autotrail for one) you could ship it, use it, sell it and recover all your costs plus in some cases a tidy profit. Met a few from NZ who come here and buy a new van to do the opposite and then ship it home.
There is a Personal Export scheme available to Kiwi's which they can buy a new van in the UK/EU use for upto a year and take home VAT Free but then they pay VAT and import charges in New Zealand still can be a good savings.

Unless you are a resident of NZ would be very costly to import rather than temporarily import and sell locally due to customs and VAT though might still be a saving with the high cost of motorhomes in NZ at the moment.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
NZ .An expensive country to visit now first time I visited 3/30$ to the GBP .!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back